Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sticky charge port ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just popped to the supercharger for some juice and the charge port refused to open - it wouldn't open when commanded from the touch screen, by the charger or by the phone ... there was some clinking going on but no door action.

One of the guys from the showroom popped out and gave it a few hearty taps whilst I tried again and it eventually popped open :)

Apparently if the magnet gets dusty (I'd been down the peninsular visiting some wineries so the car has a sheen of winery dust on it) then it can refuse to open.

Thought it would be worth passing on the info ... and asking ... any advice on how to improving magnet action and/or sealing the door a little better to prevent dust ingress?

Goulash

Have had similar issues, the first time going down the Hume to Melbourne. Needless to say, it was concerning.

However an easy back up, is to keep a toothpick in the boot, it won't scratch the paint and gives the door a little leverage, thus easily opening on command.

I understand they are redesigning the door mechanism with a motor and not a solenoid. Show stop the problem

Goulash

Have had similar issues, the first time going down the Hume to Melbourne. Needless to say, it was concerning.

However an easy back up, is to keep a toothpick in the boot, it won't scratch the paint and gives the door a little leverage, thus easily opening on command.

I understand they are redesigning the door mechanism with a motor and not a solenoid. Show stop the problem

Thanks for the toothpick trick .. I'll keep some in the car :)

Hopefully door mechanism update will be something that can be installed retrospectively

Thanks for the toothpick trick .. I'll keep some in the car :)

Hopefully door mechanism update will be something that can be installed retrospectively

This happened to me today. It made the click-open sound but refused to open.

I thought it would be a good idea to press it in, in the event that it would pop out (like a spring-loaded door-opener). NEVER do this!!! It just arced inwards at a terrible angle and looked as if it was about to snap.

I got a butter knife and levered it out (then gave the magnets a good clean etc).

From now on I shall keep the butter knife in the boot with the charger. In my view - an essential item. P.S. More sturdy than a wooden toothpick.

Make sure you wipe down the door and black gasket, anytime moisture builds up near /on the charge port gasket it creates a seal that is tough for the electromagnetic lock to release..it almost feels like a vacuum seal when you finally get it freed.

Goulash

I’ve just had to use a credit card (no tooth pick) not sure if it’s dust but will give it a clean