Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Sydneysider thinking of a holiday in Tasmania

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow Tesla owners/drivers
The wife and I are thinking of a holiday in Tasmania in June.
Driving to Melbourne from Sydney in our M3 SR+. Take the ferry. No problem there.
I know there are no superchargers in Tassie so how difficult will it be to charge the car?
If anyone has driven around Tasmania, I would be very pleased to hear about it.
I know it should be OK, there seems to be many non supercharging options, but first hand experience would be good to know.
Regards
Greg

Hi fellow Tesla owners/drivers
The wife and I are thinking of a holiday in Tasmania in June.
Driving to Melbourne from Sydney in our M3 SR+. Take the ferry. No problem there.
I know there are no superchargers in Tassie so how difficult will it be to charge the car?
If anyone has driven around Tasmania, I would be very pleased to hear about it.
I know it should be OK, there seems to be many non supercharging options, but first hand experience would be good to know.
Regards
Greg

First Stop off the Boat...
Head to House of Anvers Chocolate Factory... Get a quick 5kw Destination Charge for the hour or so... :)

Chargefox/Electric Highway Tasmania has a good ring of Faster Chargers Setup. These are all 50kw... so just means you have to manage how long you are staying in certain places etc.

The Major centres are pretty well covered by Destination Chargers and/or Chargefox Network.

Reactions: Hovean
The Attached Map shows the Chargefox Locations that are 50kw or better, so it's a decent array of locations.
I'll be doing a similar thing with my P90D at some point soon also :)

Attachments

• ChargefoxTasmania.jpg
    ChargefoxTasmania.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 157
What is with the per minute component for the EFT ones, that can add up quickly, it is effectively a total of at least $0.55 per Kwh, mind you it pales in comparison to the Charge Star network ones which are an eye watering $1.00 per Kwh

You'll have absolutely no issues in a Model 3! And well timed too - this announcement was made last week: Charging up our electric vehicle network - 14 sites live and the 15th under construction at the moment, with a couple more coming up later in the year.

Down the main highway (Burnie to Hobart - 320 km) there are 6 stall across 4 sites (soon to be 8 stalls across 5 sites) - no including Burnie and Hobart themselves which also have 50 kW fast chargers. Most of these highway ones are 350 kW.

Around the east and west coast routes (more remote, but more common tourist trails) are the Electric Highway Tasmania (EHT) there are 50 kW fast chargers with a minimum gap of about 150 km (some cases a fair bit closer).

The reason for these ones being both time and energy based is that there is only one 50 kW charger per site, as mentioned there is up to 150 km between sites, and the routes see a low traffic volume. They need to ensure that people only charge as much as necessary so that the site is available for the next person. The time charge does this. And if someone does decide to charge to 100% they will at least be providing EHT with revenue needed to increase site capacity in the future, via the time charge. (Note that all their sites also have a 22kW Type 2 AC charger, so drivers have the option of moving to this with a lower per minute charge if they want).

The sites cost (approx.) $100k each to build, EHT staff/shareholders don't draw any income, and traffic on these routes is low/seasonal. They don't expect to make a profit for years. They built the sites because they are EV owners and the sites need to exist for EV ownership to be viable in the state. Chargefox or Evie were never going to build them in these locations. So time/kWh billing is the end result.

Of the 15 sites, 2 are Evie, 2 are NextCharge, 10 (including the 6 EHT ones) are Chargefox and 1 is EasyPark (technically the charging is free but you pay for the parking space with the Easypark app).

• Informative
Reactions: Nickdp and moa999
I’m planning the same trip in the April school holidays.
I wouldn’t bother stopping at house of Anvers chocolate shop just for charging, although it is very nice. I would just charge to 100% at a Melbourne supercharger on your way to the ferry.
There are now CCS2 fast charges all over Tasmania, so just sign onto whatever network they are and enjoy. Get the PlugShare app to plan your charging stops.
Most important is probably Campbelltown, which is halfway from the ferry to Hobart.
Fun fact: Anvers is French for Antwerp.

I would just charge to 100% at a Melbourne supercharger on your way to the ferry.

That's absolutely the last thing I'd do. When you're not using the car, keep it around 80% to 90%. If you overcharge past 90%, you need to use that charge ASAP. Overcharging and then leaving the car parked overnight is a shortcut to battery degradation. Dendrites will form inside the electrolyte solution whenever they're left overcharged, and those dendrites will rip the batteries apart from the inside out.

Besides...

There are now CCS2 fast charges all over Tasmania, so just sign onto whatever network they are and enjoy.

...so there's absolutely no reason to feel range anxiety before you've even left Melbourne. Chargefox and Evie basically have you covered. And their flagship chargers are slightly faster than a V2 Supercharger anyway.

That's absolutely the last thing I'd do. When you're not using the car, keep it around 80% to 90%. If you overcharge past 90%, you need to use that charge ASAP. Overcharging and then leaving the car parked overnight is a shortcut to battery degradation. Dendrites will form inside the electrolyte solution whenever they're left overcharged, and those dendrites will rip the batteries apart from the inside out.

Besides...

...so there's absolutely no reason to feel range anxiety before you've even left Melbourne. Chargefox and Evie basically have you covered. And their flagship chargers are slightly faster than a V2 Supercharger anyway.
It’s fine to charge to 100% occasionally. And don’t forget, you’ll be driving from the supercharger to the ferry, so you’ll use a few percent before parking the car.
But you’re right that Tassie now has plenty of charging nowadays, so not as scary as it used to be.

On the ferry, remember which deck you parked your car, or
1: you won't find it
2: you will be called on the loud speaker to remove it,
3: And you still can't find it.
Nowadays they have a little tear off card for you to take to identify your car position, in the lift well.

The thing that often gets newbies on the boat is that it turns around. you drive on one end and off the other.
So you drive on thinking your on one side and get totally confused when you head down in the morning and go to the wrong side. I’ve seen it happen a ridiculous number of times.