Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Sydneysider thinking of a holiday in Tasmania

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remote charging is going to become an issue I suspect.

Well, not if the infrastructure scales with the size of the BEV fleet. The NSW Government is investing $170M in a fast charging network over the next 3 years with a minimum capability of charging 4 cars simultaneously, which should be enough to get ahead of the curve.

Tesla has over 60% market share of the BEV fleet in NSW, and that also helps the business case for more third party DCFC networks - which helps everyone. Remove the Tesla demand from those (which is largely what happens in the USA due to Tesla’s proprietary connector over there) and the third party networks would struggle.

Has anyone had much trouble with needing to queue anywhere?

I haven’t had to queue, but the last time I charged at Karuah Chargefox, I took the second 350 kW spot and not long after a Nissan LEAF turned up to use the 50 kW charger (➡️ full house), and then another Model 3 turned up and had to wait a few minutes until the Ioniq 5 finished.

A recent photo on PlugShare shows Heatherbrae full with 6 cars plugged in and one waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I’m travelling in Tasmania at the moment.
I have charged at Devonport Supercharger, King Meadows, Scottsdale x 2, St Helen’s x 2 and Swansea without even seeing another EV.
I did have to wait 5 minutes for the Cradle Mountain info centre destination charger.
I have been also able charge overnight at 4 of the 5 Airbnb’s we have stayed at.

I'll be heading to Tassie soon.

Will be the first time in the 3, many times in the ICE so we at least are familiar with the ferry process and not losing the car (hopefully).

One question, is there anything special to do with our cars on the ferry? With my other cars I’ve always had to set the alarm system to a lower sensitivity mode to disable some features.

I can’t find anything specific in a quick review of the manual, I can see some UK people mentioning to disable the tilt mode - but I don’t think we have tilt sensors. Do we?

At least reviewing PlugShare it seems charging shouldn’t be an issue. Chargers at all our favourite places.

I'll be heading to Tassie soon.

Will be the first time in the 3, many times in the ICE so we at least are familiar with the ferry process and not losing the car (hopefully).

One question, is there anything special to do with our cars on the ferry? With my other cars I’ve always had to set the alarm system to a lower sensitivity mode to disable some features.

I can’t find anything specific in a quick review of the manual, I can see some UK people mentioning to disable the tilt mode - but I don’t think we have tilt sensors. Do we?

At least reviewing PlugShare it seems charging shouldn’t be an issue. Chargers at all our favourite places.

Turn off the alarm, I can't see it going far if it gets stolen. Put a reminder in your phone to remind you to switch the alarm back on in Devonport.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
One question, is there anything special to do with our cars on the ferry?

When leaving the ferry, don‘t start your engine until the car in front starts to move. Need to minimise pollution for the workers getting the cars off.

Seriously, I turned sentry mode off so I wouldn’t record everybody walking past my car. I also pressed the park break. I don’t normally press it, but what the hell….

Also, both times I drove off in Melbourne, the GPS took 5 to 10 minutes to find out where it was. Didn‘t seem to happen in Devonport.

We mostly used our AirBNB stays for our charging (8amp overnight).

Enjoy you trip, we’ll be back in 2023 for our 3rd trip to Tassie over a 18 month period.

I'm hoping to take my M3P to Tassie next May with a group of friends I made back when I had a Focus XR5. So far I'll have the only EV, so it'll be interesting how the days go if I can charge overnight.
When leaving the ferry, don‘t start your engine until the car in front starts to move. Need to minimise pollution for the workers getting the cars off.
*laughs in EV*