Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A system reboot occurred while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no web browsing :) is that even possible? I do have a SSD attached to USB for Sentry, but its been there for the past 8mos or more. So what's changed in the past 1-2 weeks -- new update may be 2-3 weeks ago...

I will remove the SSD to see if it helps, but that would be irritating since I've been using it for months now without incident.

Even when not driving, using the browser, Netflix, Youtube etc seems to have been somewhat related to a higher number of glitches and bugs (at least for me). I suggest unplugging all USB, doing a manual reboot and then not plugging any USB devices nor use any of browser/netflix/youtube/disney/etc for a while. See if this resolves the crashes.
I'm not suggesting you never use USB anymore, it's just to remove variables while testing. If you ever figure out that that is the culprit, you can be clearer with Tesla.

Has anybody else suffered this problem with their M3?

A couple of days ago I was at the end of a 70 KM drive and used the touch screen to change a music track (listening to USB MP3s). For May, it was quite warm for my part of the world, 23°C. When I touched the screen, The UI went black and after 10-20s showed the "T" insignia of Tesla. I assumed a system reboot. I continued to listed to the music and the car was driving ok (except no speed or other vital signs indication). I guess the whole event took about a minute. I couldn't pull over because at a busy roundabout. It was all a bit un-nerving. That's the first time I encountered that. Anybody else experienced this? I found posts about similar happenings to MYs (see link below).

My car is a MiC M3 LR AWD delivered end Sept 2021.

Hello, I’m brand new to this and probably not a typical M3 driver as I know relatively little about cars for a retired scientist (and am not so interested). I love my M3 (2019 December) but it is hard work in many ways (more later). In the last 2 weeks I’ve had 2 screen blackouts, the first whilst driving (scary) the second whilst stationery and doing some stuff to my vehicle settings. It rebooted pretty quick, and seemed to have saved my settings but why did it happen? What might happen in future???

Hello, I’m brand new to this and probably not a typical M3 driver as I know relatively little about cars for a retired scientist (and am not so interested). I love my M3 (2019 December) but it is hard work in many ways (more later). In the last 2 weeks I’ve had 2 screen blackouts, the first whilst driving (scary) the second whilst stationery and doing some stuff to my vehicle settings. It rebooted pretty quick, and seemed to have saved my settings but why did it happen? What might happen in future???
See my post #11 regards my Service Centre (SC) comments. In a few words based on the SC and other contributions in this thread we must expect this to happen occasionally and possibly after a firmware update. I don't have any other explanation other than likening it to my pc when the memory/or an app bugs up. Like you, my first taste of that was whilst driving and it was a bit scary. I also use use SMT so was able to continue to see speed on my 'phone. After a hard reboot see post #7 it it hasn't so far happened again.

So I removed my USB/SSD for a week. No further crashes. Then I plugged that USB/SSD back in -- within minutes, the car UI crashed. After it rebooted, I reformated the SSD. Its been about 4 days since and no crashes yet.

still anecdotal, not definitive, but:
- The UI's handling of USB drives seems to be the issue.
- Maybe there is something related to when the drive gets full.
- I still consider this a Tesla UI software bug, probably one that a recent update introducted. They need to fix this! (remember that I've been using this same SSD for over a year without problems, til now.)

Reactions: RTPEV
So I removed my USB/SSD for a week. No further crashes. Then I plugged that USB/SSD back in -- within minutes, the car UI crashed. After it rebooted, I reformated the SSD. Its been about 4 days since and no crashes yet.

still anecdotal, not definitive, but:
- The UI's handling of USB drives seems to be the issue.
- Maybe there is something related to when the drive gets full.
- I still consider this a Tesla UI software bug, probably one that a recent update introducted. They need to fix this! (remember that I've been using this same SSD for over a year without problems, til now.)

maybe.. your SSD drive when bad.

my 2019 Model 3 LR has not rebooted while driving...
but my screen has rebooted as I get into the car.
it happens about twice a month.. it actually happened 3 times in 1 day in February.
is this related to what you guys are seeing?

I can start the drive and it takes about 2 mins for a reboot and another 2 mins for the internet and music to start up again.

I was keeping a file of these occurrences.. and I have reported to Tesla service.. they said it can not be traced and no errors were detected.
Was getting worried.. but based on this thread.. It is normal? and just a computer / memory / software thing we have to accept and live with?

my 2019 Model 3 LR has not rebooted while driving...
but my screen has rebooted as I get into the car.
it happens about twice a month.. it actually happened 3 times in 1 day in February.
is this related to what you guys are seeing?

I can start the drive and it takes about 2 mins for a reboot and another 2 mins for the internet and music to start up again.

I was keeping a file of these occurrences.. and I have reported to Tesla service.. they said it can not be traced and no errors were detected.
Was getting worried.. but based on this thread.. It is normal? and just a computer / memory / software thing we have to accept and live with?
Just a glitch in the UI system. Some revs are buggier than others. You can go a year without a spontaneous reboot, and then you get a bad rev that does it 3 times in a month. Probably nothing to worry about in the hardware. It's a software thing.

Reactions: dan330
I found this thread because twice (With a 2 scroill wheel reboot in between) my Tesla M3 running 2023.7.30 rebooted... It was quicker than a normal one and didnt have to spend time searching for LTE, but this happened TWICE today and never before.

It happened doing the same trhing... turning the right scroll wheel sort of agressively to change the autopilot speed...

Anyone ever have this hgappen after turning the right scroll wheel?

I found this thread because twice (With a 2 scroill wheel reboot in between) my Tesla M3 running 2023.7.30 rebooted... It was quicker than a normal one and didnt have to spend time searching for LTE, but this happened TWICE today and never before.

It happened doing the same trhing... turning the right scroll wheel sort of agressively to change the autopilot speed...

Anyone ever have this hgappen after turning the right scroll wheel?
A Touchscreen Restart happening spontaneously while driving is definitely not normal (though it has been reported by others in the past). If it happens again, immediately do a bug report (so that it is flagged in your car's error log) and open a service ticket (hopefully your car is still under warranty).

A Touchscreen Restart happening spontaneously while driving is definitely not normal (though it has been reported by others in the past). If it happens again, immediately do a bug report (so that it is flagged in your car's error log) and open a service ticket (hopefully your car is still under warranty).
It is. It did it 2 times both when quickly scrolling the right scroll to adjust FSD speed. It wasn’t spontaneous. I was in the action of scrolling the wheel when it happened on the highway once and in the street once That was a few days ago now and I haven’t had any issues since and I’ve driven several hundred miles

how do you do a bug report? Is it in the service meni?