Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A tale of a lengthy commute in my Model S 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to share my recent experience with my new (pre-owned) Model S. I recently started a new job that has me driving to Ontario (California) from San Diego one day / week. That is 90 miles each way. Fortunately, there is a supercharger in Temecula should I need to stop on the way back. This is my last resort plan, I don't want to stop.

About my Model S: Its an 85 and had 51,000 miles when I acquired it. Serial Number is 35,6XX. When fully charged she shows ~252 miles of range.

My first trip up to Ontario was a nail biter, especially being green as a Tesla owner. It started out well. I drove very conservatively. After a bit of experimenting, I set the cruise control at 68 mph. Any less and I was an obstruction to traffic, even in the far right lane. Averaging less than 300 wh/m for the first 60 miles, I kept an eye on the map which showed a predicted state of charge at my destination. It was showing between 51-53%. I was nervous that would not make it back home that evening without having to stop to charge. When I hit Temecula the Tesla Navigation and Waze both reroute me to a detour because of bad traffic. I ogle the route. It adds 15 miles to my trip (now totaling 105 miles) and think to myself, better to arrive on time than late. Throwing caution to the wind I take the detour (highway 215 for those in the know) and keep cruising conservatively. When traffic clogged the road to a speed 55 mph I welcomed it. I arrived at my office with the state of charge showing 52% and a raised eyebrow.

I get back into the car around 3:30 PM knowing that it was too late and that traffic would be bad. I set the Tesla nav to my house and it routes me to take the same detour. Waze agrees. So another 15 miles on top of the 90. My planned route of 190 miles morphed into ~210 miles. I keep telling myself, 210 should be no problem. The range is ~250 on this Model S. As I near Temecula I eye the navigation which tells me, upon my arrival at home I will have 30 miles of range left. I had to make a decision... stop and charge or continue on.

For better or worse I chose the latter and lowered my cruise control to 63. The other drivers on the road were not particularly fond of that move. Speed limit was 70 MPH and everyone was driving closer to 80. I resisted the urge to speed up. Keeping an eye on the navigation, it still showed 30 miles of range at arrival. I felt confident I'd make it until I was about 40 miles out San Diego when I approached a series of hills. They're mostly uphill, one large one that went on for a few miles and was quite steep. It crushed my range and deflated my confidence. After a few minutes of uphill driving the nav showed I would arrive with 19 miles of range left. I thought to myself, I shoulda stopped in Temecula... Too late now! I stayed in the right lane, following an 18-wheeler that was having a hard time with the grade. He was holding 55 MPH and I happily followed suit. After we plateaued the hill the nav started improving the estimated state of charge at arrival. 10 minutes later it was back to the 30 miles of range at arrival thanks to a few downhill sections. When I was about 10 miles from home I increased my speed to 70 for the rest of my ride.

The battery icon on the dash was now orange but it never saw it go to red. I arrived home 30 miles of range left. I traveled 214 miles in all. Consumed 61.7 kwh. Averaged 288 wh/m. Best of all I had made it without stopping for a recharge. It felt good. I was content knowing in near worse case scenario I made my commute without having to stop. Since then I've done the trip one day per week, never having to stop for a charge. I am one happy camper! Icing on the cake, Solar Panels have been installed this week. Thanks Tesla! :)
m0KhBrv.jpg

I've pushed a couple of very long distances and arrived with 20 or 25 miles left, but they were places without Superchargers available. So I get the sense of accomplishment...somewhat. But I just don't get these things where someone will intentionally avoid the fastest available charging system that exists in the world to white-knuckle and sweat and worry about making their trip.

how about an L2 where you work?
They don't have one. For the record, if I'm not detoured 15 miles on each ride I have enough range to comfortably ride at the speed limit.
I've pushed a couple of very long distances and arrived with 20 or 25 miles left, but they were places without Superchargers available. So I get the sense of accomplishment...somewhat. But I just don't get these things where someone will intentionally avoid the fastest available charging system that exists in the world to white-knuckle and sweat and worry about making their trip.
The first time was white knuckle for sure, mostly because of the detour on each leg. Since then I've done the trip several times with ease, and stress free. Personally, I want no compromise in my commute. For me that means not stopping to recharge on a 210 mile commute. And really, the car should easily be able to handle that distance.