Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A tale of three Perths

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All three maps are at the same scale. Unfortunately the Perth with the largest population has the least amount of Tesla loving.
CapturePerthCanada.JPG
CapturePerthS.JPG
CapturePerthWA.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78 and Chuq
We only have one supercharger in Adelaide. The other is wasted up near the big battery.
The supercharger is fun for free power, but in reality its not really needed - probably essential for visiting tesla’s though.
We have some destination chargers in the airport carpark right by the terminal entry, so super convenient and a great way to charge the car on a day trip interstate. Another in an eastern suburbs shopping centre, also right at the door.
But here in australia everything tesla happens generally 2+ years after the US, so you need to look elsewhere for a bit of lovin’
On a positive note, at least we have access to tesla, many countries don’t, and the lack of aussie lovin is made up for by the customer service quality of the tesla service team....or at least Gerard in Adelaide. Quite exceptional.

Agree our service centres seem better than overseas versions.
Great people at the St Leonards service centre.
I do think Tesla has taken too long to fill out the remaining superchargers. I could have used a Berry SC yesterday.
Tassie and inland sites would be nice.

You have one supercharger location with four stalls in Adelaide and the other "wasted" location at Clare was a sight for sore eyes after 5 days of AC charging when we drove our MX across Australia mid year.

Agree, not sure how it is "wasted" when it is used by people driving from Adelaide to Perth (or anywhere in WA), Darwin (or anywhere in NT), the Eyre Peninsula, Flinders Ranges or Broken Hill! If anything it's an extremely "efficient" location so far as routes covered goes. So would Port Augusta.

To get this back on topic, I would have thought a Perth owner would be calling out for Cervantes/Jurien Bay, Northam/Southern Cross, or Arthur River/Kojonup more than Perth! (Notwithstanding the need for a service centre of course)

I do think Tesla has taken too long to fill out the remaining superchargers. I could have used a Berry SC yesterday.
Tassie and inland sites would be nice.
Tesla Australia would have a pretty good idea (by now) as to the uptake of their vehicles in Oz and the seeming lack of a more rapidly expanding supercharger infrastructure suggests either Oz is lagging in enthusiasm for Tesla's or local councils are being difficult about approving installations or both.

Could the wave(!) of Model 3s around 3Q2019 be proceeded by an uptick in supercharger installations? if it takes 3-months for approval-to-install then they could wait until 2Q2019 to roll-out more I suppose.

Tesla Australia would have a pretty good idea (by now) as to the uptake of their vehicles in Oz and the seeming lack of a more rapidly expanding supercharger infrastructure suggests either Oz is lagging in enthusiasm for Tesla's or local councils are being difficult about approving installations or both.

Could the wave(!) of Model 3s around 3Q2019 be proceeded by an uptick in supercharger installations? if it takes 3-months for approval-to-install then they could wait until 2Q2019 to roll-out more I suppose.
The number of Tesla in Oz is (pathetically) the same as Dade County (a suburb of Miami); but then, what would one expect from a country whose leader is most famous for carting a lump of coal into the Parliament of the country or, perhaps, comparing one of the technical marvels of the country with Kim Kardashian. Gord help us!

Reactions: Mark E
Agree, not sure how it is "wasted" when it is used by people driving from Adelaide to Perth (or anywhere in WA), Darwin (or anywhere in NT), the Eyre Peninsula, Flinders Ranges or Broken Hill! If anything it's an extremely "efficient" location so far as routes covered goes. So would Port Augusta.

To get this back on topic, I would have thought a Perth owner would be calling out for Cervantes/Jurien Bay, Northam/Southern Cross, or Arthur River/Kojonup more than Perth! (Notwithstanding the need for a service centre of course)

Couldn't agree more Chuq.
I for one would prefer to see superchargers installed in locations away from Perth and definitely not in Perth itself. A Supercharger in Perth would simply be raped by local pioneer owners (myself included) who have legacy cars with unlimited free supercharging and who love to play the "lets get free juice game".
Superchargers ought to be located in line with their stated raison d'être which is to facilitate inter-city road trips and not just for stingy locals who think paying $200K for a car so as to get free fuel is a great deal.

We only have one supercharger in Adelaide. The other is wasted up near the big battery.
The supercharger is fun for free power, but in reality its not really needed - probably essential for visiting tesla’s though.
We have some destination chargers in the airport carpark right by the terminal entry, so super convenient and a great way to charge the car on a day trip interstate. Another in an eastern suburbs shopping centre, also right at the door.
But here in australia everything tesla happens generally 2+ years after the US, so you need to look elsewhere for a bit of lovin’
On a positive note, at least we have access to tesla, many countries don’t, and the lack of aussie lovin is made up for by the customer service quality of the tesla service team....or at least Gerard in Adelaide. Quite exceptional.

Actually, Adelaide has an absolutely awesome supercharger network exceeding 3000km in length that stretches unbroken from it to all the way to north of Brisbane in an anti-clockwise direction.

The following map (including PlugShare details) shows a circumnavigation of Australia with the blue markers showing slow AC charging, purple markers showing 50kW fast DC chargers and red markers showing Superchargers.
Notice the profound difference in travelling clockwise from Adelaide to Brisbane (or Townsville) as opposed to travelling in an anticlockwise direction!

#AUSXtour 2018 - Google My Maps
Nice map. The big blank centre of Australia is a glaring charging ommision.

It's possible they are waiting until the last minute before deploying.
Bit risky, sometimes it takes forever to get approval from our backward-ass councils.

Couldn't agree more Chuq.
I for one would prefer to see superchargers installed in locations away from Perth and definitely not in Perth itself. A Supercharger in Perth would simply be raped by local pioneer owners (myself included) who have legacy cars with unlimited free supercharging and who love to play the "lets get free juice game".
Superchargers ought to be located in line with their stated raison d'être which is to facilitate inter-city road trips and not just for stingy locals who think paying $200K for a car so as to get free fuel is a great deal.
As a fellow supercharger rapist, I understand your unease, but apparently the original raison d'être has been updated by Elon and others, and now local supercharging is de rigueur.
Eventually there will be millions of EVs in Australia. Our few unlimited cars will be a drop in the ocean.

It's not a charging omission, it's the actual chargers "Murbs" used on his recent circumnavigation of "Straya". I'm assuming you know how Plugshare works, or perhaps not.
My tesla have never left the city. I dont really road trip. Tend to fly wherever I need to go as its either business day trips or distant holidays. Even if I’m holidaying in Melbourne I’ll fly, as I dont really have two spare driving days (one each way). Accordingly never used plugshare.

My tesla have never left the city. I dont really road trip. Tend to fly wherever I need to go as its either business day trips or distant holidays. Even if I’m holidaying in Melbourne I’ll fly, as I dont really have two spare driving days (one each way). Accordingly never used plugshare.

I 100% agree with you @paulp, it's quicker, safer and on most occasions cheaper to fly between Australian capital cities but there's a mindset that needs changing, the next time someone tells me NO electric vehicle is any good for Australia until a 7 seat, towing capable, high performance SUV can drive around the country in less than 3 weeks I just point them to Harald's effort.
It has to be noted that all these long distance trips have been done on very limited infrastructure, the aim is to get it up to a DC charger standard where any owner with limited electric vehicles knowledge could continue to be a tourist, caravaner, long weekend tripper without getting in to trouble.