Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Temporary Fix for Broken (Non-Retracting) Door Handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S's retracting door handles, particularly the early revisions, are notorious for failing. This is pretty inconvenient, especially when it's for the driver's door, as you have to enter the vehicle through another door and then crawl over or reach across and unlatch the other door.

Usually when these handles fail, the latch itself is fine; only the retraction mechanism is broken. So, I designed a two-piece 3D-printable workaround that allows the Model S door handle to function as a normal (i.e. non-retracting) handle. This way the broken handle may still be used to enter the vehicle.

A video of the product in use can be found here: IMG_4156

You may download the 3D model (for free) here. It should print easily on any mass market 3D printer: Tesla Model S Door Handle Prop for Non-Retracting Handles by freerobby

Directions:
1. Use the tool (piece 2) to pry your Model S handle out from the vehicle.
2. Place the big loop of the plastic prop over the top side of the handle.
3. Use the tool to pry the small loop of the prop beneath the bottom of the handle, and release it in place.

Photos are attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4148 2.JPG
    IMG_4148 2.JPG
    417.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4149.JPG
    IMG_4149.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4152.JPG
    IMG_4152.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 86
Neat. If this is indeed a temporary fix, some tape would also do the trick, I'm thinking.

Yeah, tape should work fine, albeit with some flapping. I'd recommend sealing it against itself in a circle around the handle so you don't get the abrasive all over the chrome/finish. Thin string or fishing line would also do the trick.

The curved end of the tool is pretty helpful for prying out the handle, but a plastic paint scraper or plastic knife would probably do the trick with enough finagling.