TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A Tesla Car: a "truffula tree" or a "thneed"?!

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by gg_got_a_tesla, Mar 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Following up on my popular (or infamous) thread ("Guilt" for being able to get a Model S?!!), here's another teaser!

Just got back from watching the new "Lorax" and observing my 5.5-year-old son and his schoolmate get swept up by the complex messages of consumerism vs environmentalism in there!

So... as many of us eagerly wait to get our hands on a Model S or an X,

- Could we be lusting after yet another "thneed" - as Dr. Seuss called them - that's not very different from many traditional high end cars in that we simply 'want' them rather than really 'need' them?!

- Or, are the Model S and X going to be the "truffula trees" that'll (literally) bring back fresh, smog-free air?!

- Or, are Tesla cars a bit of both? Consumerism with a noble purpose in mind?!

Fire away :)

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'd vote both. It has a responsible side, but some (including me) are more concerned with the gadgets and performance

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I bought my Roadster because it's fun to drive. But it slowly worked its magic on me and now I power my house with solar, and with the Model X, I'll no longer have an ICE in my garage.

Both.

4. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The Coda is a truffula tree, but with a fruit that most Americans find inedible. Tesla's offerings are similar to truffula trees but have thneed-flavored fruits.

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I believe they are both as one Roadster owner has on his car faster than a Ferrari - Greener than a Prius.

Seriously I think humanity has large challenges in the next 25 years with the
    1) Cost of oil (last year we imported a record $440billion worth of it)
    2) Availability of oil - the good Lord is not making more of it.
    3) Environmental (with oil shale and tar sands we have a disaster in the making)

I really cannot see humanity giving up transportation so we need to find a better, more sustainable way to provide it.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

It's a noble purpose with consumerism in mind.

I wanted a pure electric car, but I didn't want the auto equivalent of bran with everything, beards, tie-dye shirts and wearing socks with sandals. (Hmm, wonder how many people I managed to alienate there? Sorry...)

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

beards?

8. sauhlir

sauhlir Member

I'm the mirror-image of Bonnie. I bought my Roadster because I've believed for decades that electric cars were the right thing for the environment... and the Roadster was the first EV I found that was worth buying that wasn't too complicated to buy (I never found my way through the process in place to buy the RAV4 EV) that I fit in (I considered an EV1 even though you coudn't buy them... but I am too tall in the morning). Since buying the Roadster I've discovered it is a joy to drive (and I've gone from finding every possible excuse to get someone else to give me a ride to looking for opportunities to drive the Roadster).

I think this pair of examples is proof that the Roadster is both.

9. Blathering1

Blathering1 Remember

Perfect take on this... Thneed flavored fruits are so alluring!

At at the end does the super-axe-hacker take us all.