TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A Tesla Games Console / Home Computer . . ?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PV4EV, Jun 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

As a change to Model S news and Stock predictions, I thought I'd put up a random post about my 1985 "home computer" made by Tesla … Bratislava :biggrin:

Bit of background to this :-

For my sins, I have written numerous computer games over past 30 yrs, mostly in machine code, starting off on many early 8 bit computers and consoles, but continuing right through to modern stuff. I also collect/restore/repair old arcade games, pinball machines and games consoles.

Many years ago I was sent off on a trip to the Czech Republic to try and rescue a troubled games development project. Whilst there the team kindly presented me with a games console known by the catchy name of a "Tesla PMD85" (pity its not a MSP85+, but hey). Back then I'd never heard of it probably because the Iron Curtain / Cold War was very much in place.

As many TMC people know, a certain Elon Musk also started off writing video games, at the same time I did, with something called Blastar back in 1984, which involved shooting rockets into space, now he's shooting real rockets into space, and the rest is history (sheesh . . . where did I go wrong then ?!!)

Anyway, here below are a few photos of that very same console, complete with Tesla branding on all the IC's and PCB within. Tesla Bratislava is still in existence too :-

Intro TESLA STROPKOV, a.s.

They were made between 1981 and 1985. They're based on an 8080 processor (that takes me back !) running at a fearsome 2Mhz, with a huge 4k OS and even more massive 64k RAM. It had simple character map graphics, and pseudo bitmap mode mapped into a character grid, displayed in all its glory on a domestic TV via an RF modulator. It had a few plug in carts featuring BASIC, and a few games. Programs could be saved/loaded using a audio cassette recorder, which was hopelessly unreliable!! Ahh, the good old days . .

TeslaSK_zps60daff54.jpg

TeslaConsolefront1_zpsdacb0333.jpg

Teslaconsolelidoff_zps78f91d57.jpg

TelsaICs2_zps79fd9ba7.jpg

TeslaPCBclose1_zpse2889889.jpg

TelsaICs1_zps1e2b7af7.jpg

TeslaEasternBlock1980sConsolecomputer1_zpsd71aa31f.jpg

TeslaConsoleBack_zpsff74dcd2.jpg

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Hmmm... A Tesla with a V8.