Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Hater just told me "Batteries Cause Cancer"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Tesla's First Responder Guide 2014 Tesla model S. Tesla's batteries are so toxic that when the batteries burn, Tesla essentially recommend evacuating the vicinity and letting the fire burn out. Otherwise recommends full protective gear for emergency responders including self contained breathing apparatus.

But if you think it is safe, you ought to tell Tesla to change their emergency responder guide. :rolleyes:

I don't think hanging around any burning vehicle is safe. Personally, I'd rather have toxic components sealed in an armored battery pack than be forced to breathe them in every time I needed to refuel.

This whole thread reminds me of a time when I was just a kid, standing in line at Ben Franklin's, when a woman came in to return her hairspray she'd bought the day before. She was very upset that they'd sold her something so obviously dangerous. The label in question? "Caution: Highly flammable. Avoid open flames."

She thought her hair would burst into flames if she came near a candle or any other fire source. Poor thing. Some people just can't deal with context. Tesla batteries are not good to breathe when on fire. Same with any other car on fire. Don't breathe in the fumes.

Can we move on now or does someone have a can of hairspray to return?

Clearly the x-ray tech was talking about EM fields. Better not ride an electric bus, trolley, hybrid train, hybrid ship, etc designed with no shielding in mind like today. If no connection between riding the trolley and cancer has been made yet in over a century of use, it never will be made. We are all lab rats. Electric transport has been field tested by us for over a hundred years. I would be much more worried about the ***** in ur food they are testing out on us in an on going uncontrolled experiment, and yeah dont eat ur batteries

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how I respond and it works great, especially against Tesla haters, on pretty much any topic they use to attack the car:

Hater: "Those batteries you sit on cause cancer."
You: "Not true but I understand the resistance. When we went away from horse and buggy, a lot of people also made arguments against the internal combustion engine."

I just used it the other day when a Porsche driver told me he couldn't do without out the roar of the engine. My reply: "Yes, people missed the galloping of horses too." There was no comeback from him to that one.

There are a lot of substances which are highly toxic when burned.

Including most of your *clothes*. Polyester fumes are *nasty*. Acrylic fumes are worse. There are additives even in cotton which are pretty bad.

I would not hang out smelling fumes from things which are on fire. Which, by the way, is an argument against fuel-burning cars.