Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Model S hits 300,000 miles in just 2 years – saving an estimated $60,000 on fuel and mainten

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calling it 'savungs' is a bit of a stretch. We overpay for a Tesla to 'save' on gas?

Funny.

I. E. To me a model S is like an A7 or CL550. But a 75D is quite a bit more expensive.

A P100D is like an RS7 or a CL63. But quite a bit more expensive.

So while there's a perceived savings on gasoline or maintenance (and by the way tesla service is hella expensive so I'm not sure where that's from) it's muted by the more significant cash outlay for the vehicle.

Bottom line is talking about saving a few grand on gas on a $100 000 car is silly. Nobody who is good at math is buying a Tesla to save money.

You need to lose 4 bars before you can claim a newer battery. And remember all the 12 bars do not have equal weightage. If my memory serves right, the first bar is more like 13% of degradation followed by the remaining bars are equally portioned at around 7%. So in the end a 4 bar loss would be: 13+7+7+7 = 34% loss.
Yes. One needs to be down 8 bars display (4 bars gone) within 5 years/60K miles on a 24 KWh Leaf (2011 to 2015, and most 2016 S trim) to qualify for a free replacement.

Battery - Electric Vehicle Wiki has the table (from the '11 service manual) of capacity bars vs. capacity remaining. It seems the '12 and '13 service manual no longer has such a table, for some reason.

On 30 kWh Leafs ('16 "S 30", '16 SV and SL, all '17 Leafs), the capacity warranty is 8 years/100K miles, but still has the same bar criteria. Unfortunately, Nissan has neither confirmed nor denied that the mapping of capacity bars displayed vs. approx % remaining is the same/similar.

Last edited:
This car they have named eHawk, had the following parts replaced which the Electrek article conveniently leaves out:

35,000 miles: Front motor was replaced. Source
200,000 miles: Main battery pack was replaced. Source
Indeed. Do you know if their DU(s) was/were replaced any more times after the 35K miles? How many miles are realistic to expect? states they were.

Unfortunately, the link at Tesla Model S Hits 300,000 Miles with less than $11,000 maintenance costs doesn't take you to actual records. They want your personal info in exchange, which I haven't done (yet).

Another point Tesloop’s battery was replaced at Tesla’s request not Tesloop’s. Tesloop had talked to Tesla about the fact that. The software wasn’t reading th e charge accurately any longer The battery had only about 6% degradation.

This article is one of the catalyst for me finally jumping on the Tesla wagon last year. So it may cost Tesla money to maintain the free supercharging network, but they gained a customer for me.

i figure if i can drive 300k miles on 6% degradation thats good enough for me.

It too think while it would not be beneficial nor sustainable if a large percentage of owners of Tesla's used their car as Tesloop does. Fortunately that is not the case.

The Tesloop car if anything shows the durability of the Model S and that should be testament to those who question the longevity of these cars.

Once the model 3's are everywhere, it might be more difficult to get the supercharging free for them as the stations might be more often than not full. Or at that point, they might have to resort to charging their cars in the wee hours of the morning when availability is more plentiful.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna