Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Model S Mystery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Manufacturers have to buy in bulk from their suppliers to get the best rates. So Tesla, as others have mentioned, is pretty obviously just clearing out its old inventory before it moves to the new ones. Makes sense that many of the components in the X and S are interchangeable. We'll probably see the X seats in the S and even the X door panels in the S soon. Yet another reason I've pushed delivery to March of next year.
Yea, but in March there will be some other new feature that will be just about to come in another few months. Door panels and cup holders are easy to swap in.

Reactions: Fiver
Yea, but in March there will be some other new feature that will be just about to come in another few months. Door panels and cup holders are easy to swap in.

Maybe/maybe not. Cupholders are actually important to me as it makes the car feel more complete to me and to my passengers (just odd not having them in the back). And we're almost definitely on the cusp of receiving new AP hardware to coincide with AP 2.0. Sure, there will be new features constantly, but these two are important to me and worth waiting for.

I actually have a facelift 70D and I got the phone dock and attachments for that. As far as I can tell, I didn't, however, get cup holders. :( I would have preferred cupholders to the phone dock (although I guess I should use the phone dock). I would pay something, but not $1250, to get the rear cup holder.

I actually have a facelift 70D and I got the phone dock and attachments for that. As far as I can tell, I didn't, however, get cup holders. :( I would have preferred cupholders to the phone dock (although I guess I should use the phone dock). I would pay something, but not $1250, to get the rear cup holder.
Hopefully they'll offer an option to swap out the rear of the center console instead of the entire center console.

Reactions: ishop4more
I'm fairly sure than the rear panel of the console is a separate piece. Once my 60D is built and I pick it up if it does not have the rear cupholders I will go to the service department and see if it's possible to order a replacement rear cupholder and trim for the X or the new replacement console.
That's what I was thinking (on the refreshed S). I'll be home in a few minutes and will take a look. When I glanced at it a week or so back, I thought it was a separate piece.

Reactions: jelloslug
That's what I was thinking (on the refreshed S). I'll be home in a few minutes and will take a look. When I glanced at it a week or so back, I thought it was a separate piece.
These pictures aren't the best but you can see the back is a separate piece. I think it would be possible to swap it out with one with cup holders if they start offering it for sale.
IMG_20160708_142810.jpg
IMG_20160708_142748.jpg

Reactions: jelloslug
My DS and I thought it was odd too when I took delivery last month. He didn't even know the new console online had cupholders. I quickly got over it though as I don't sit in the back. I didn't miss them on the last car and I don't miss not having them now either.

Reactions: zambono