Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Nerd's Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zaxxon

Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2012
Colorado
A friend and I just completed a Tesla-centric road trip last night--arriving home at a minute to midnight after enduring blizzard conditions over Vail Pass on I-70 heading back home. Here is a recap of the trip.

Tl;dr - The Model 3 was phenomenal the whole way, making what would have been an exhausting trip in any other vehicle--and a literally impossible trip in any non-Tesla EV--a blast.

The Trip
We left Denver around noon on Wednesday in my friend's P3D, heading north to Wyoming.

Thursday we checked out the Salt Lake City Tesla store, which has a bank of Superchargers on the lot. We continued onward, hitting up the Gigafactory--or trying to. Turns out that (as expected) there's no public access, and 'we're Tesla fans and would love to see even just the lobby' is not deemed a valid reason to approach. We ended Thursday in Truckee, CA, near Tahoe.

Using A Better Route Planner to manage a trip leg on the car's display
IMG_20190321_150302.jpg

Friday morning we continued on to the Fremont factory, and took an afternoon tour. I can't talk about specifics due to the NDA, but in general terms: the factory employees were very friendly, waving and smiling at us on the tram while we navigated their work areas. I'm sure they're encouraged to act upbeat and be nice, but they did seem genuine. The factory tour is something I'd recommend any Tesla owner take if you find yourself planning to travel to the Bay area.

The Factory and my tour badge:
IMG_20190322_112918.jpg IMG_20190322_123543.jpg

Saturday was down to LA to check out the Tesla Design Center and SpaceX HQ in Hawthorne. Did not catch a Model Y prototype or break into the top-secret area to get a gander at the pickup, but it was still a fun stop. There's a Supercharger monitor in the lobby that shows the current # of vehicles charging and where, along with totals for total system lifetime kWh delivered, miles enabled, and gallons of gasoline saved. It periodically zooms into random stations and gives further details, like # of stalls currently in use, total site consumption, etc. Tesla security asked me not to photograph it, so I did not. We also got to stand with the first successfully-recovered Falcon 9 and see the Hawthorne Hyperloop pod competition test track and Boring Company test tunnel.

SpaceX's HQ intersection on Rocket Rd, the first recovered Falcon 9, and Tesla Model S security vehicles at SpaceX
MVIMG_20190323_092709.jpg IMG_20190323_095138.jpg Capture.PNG

Saturday night we spent in Vegas as it was right along our route back home, and Sunday was a long but direct trip back to the Denver area.

Our route:
TeslaTrip2019.png

Some Stats (thanks, TeslaFi!)
  • Time spent driving: 42.6 hours
  • Time spent charging: 11.6 hours
  • Drive/charge ratio: 79% (eg about 1 hour of charging for every 4 hours driving)
  • 21 Supercharging stops, averaging 33 minutes. We used these breaks to have meals, grab snacks, use the restrooms, etc. As such, our total time spent sitting around waiting for charging to complete was about 30 minutes for the entire trip. Supercharging is a crazy-efficient use of time. We included no Destination charging hotels on this trip, so this should be an accurate representation of how easy it is to road trip in a Tesla when relying entirely on the Supercharger network for energy.
  • 2,479 miles driven, 3,428 rated miles used, for about an 80% efficiency rating. 299 Wh/mi per the car's trip computer. Overall trip average temp was 51 degrees, and ranged from about 25F to 75F.
  • 822 kWh consumed, which is the energy equivalent to 24.4 gallons of gasoline, or ~112.7 MPGe.
  • Those efficiency stats seem pretty good to me, as this was a P3D (18" Aeros with covers on for the trip) on Interstate highways that have long stretches of 80 MPH limits with 85 MPH+ prevailing speeds. Probably 90%+ of the miles we traveled were on roads with 70 MPH or higher speed limits. The trip also included tens of thousands of feet of elevation gain and loss as we passed over the continental divide in both directions, plus the mountains of Utah and California. Plus whiteout blizzard conditions coming home over Vail Pass, which was... nerve-wracking.

Trip stats
IMG_55741.jpg

Some Observations
  • On long trips, especially condensed into a short period like this one was, Autopilot is worth its weight in gold. For all the complaints people (including myself) have raised about the system, it's virtually flawless on long interstate drives, and takes the vast majority of the stress out of the drive. Auto-lane change is a great addition to Autosteer, and largely did a good job on our trip.
  • The Supercharger network remains a vastly under-appreciated competitive advantage for Tesla. As I mentioned above, we spent about 30 minutes (thirty minutes!) in total waiting for charging. Across a 4+ day, 2,749-mile trip. I've had good luck not waiting in the past, but generally travel with my kids and wasn't sure whether I was being too generous to the Supercharger system's effectiveness due to the slowness of my kiddos when we make a stop. But this trip was just two adult dudes, and we did not dawdle. We ate meals at a quick pace, made speedy restroom stops, and grabbed snacks for the road on some stops. Even given this, the car was ready to continue before we were on the large majority of our 21 stops. Could we have pushed ourselves to the point where we were waiting for charging more often? Sure. But it would not have been as enjoyable of a trip.
  • Following on the prior point--no other manufacturer's EV could have made this trip in a reasonable time. None, and it's not even close. This is why I believe the Supercharger network is such an advantage. It's literally the only way to take this sort of trip in any EV, and that's not going to change anytime soon. Even if/when competition has sufficient network locations to complete the trip, it will be a long time additional to that before it's as convenient and fun as Tesla's. Being able to just have the nav calculate everything, pull up to a stall, plug in and walk away (without hassling with charge network payment/membership cards), then have the phone app ping us when we have enough charge for our specific trip's next leg is a level of integration that I don't expect from anyone else anytime in the near-to-medium term.
  • This is the third road trip of > 1,500 miles I've taken in a Model 3. All three were similarly easy to make happen, with very little range anxiety. The only times I've had serious anxiety were on last summer's trip, which included a 280-mile single leg up to Medora, ND to see Teddy Roosevelt National Park (no Superchargers in ND yet, so we used an RV park adjacent to our hotel--rented an RV space and just parked there overnight using the UMC on a 14-50 outlet), and last night coming home when we didn't plan on adding 90 minutes and blizzard conditions to that leg (much heavier HVAC usage, much colder and less efficient weather than expected when we departed the prior Supercharger). In both cases, the car made it without any issues.
  • The Kettleman City Supercharger seems like a proof-of-concept of what interstate fueling stops will look like in the future--40 stalls, a lounge, a barista (!), vending machines that included sandwiches, wi-fi, Tesla gear, windshield cleaning and tire-filling station, and a giant solar canopy and energy storage to aid in peak shaving. It's just a great execution of the post-gasoline rest stop.
Random but representative Supercharger session snapshot
MVIMG_20190322_191301 (2).jpg

I highly recommend road tripping in a Tesla.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, and for the great write-up and pics! I've done two 1500+ mile trips in mine, and one 500+ mile trip, and all of them were fantastic. Now I wish I had done as good a job as you did documenting the Tesla centric parts of the journey, but was just so happy and excited to be able to make a trip like that without stopping at a gas station (for gas)...it was an awesome experience!

Here's to many more miles and adventures to all of us!

Adding my voice to the others; what a great report! This will really help anyone browsing this board prior to buying a Tesla. Thanks!

Awesome; thanks for the kind words, all. Helping others who haven't yet bought is one of the goals I had with this, as EV road-tripping (and the gigantic advantages Tesla has in this regard) is an area that is extremely poorly-understood by folks who haven't done it yet.

You have added to my suspicion that the Tesla destination charger network is just not that useful for people like me who avoid expensive hotels. I hope that changes as more hotel chains install L2 charging. I really do like the idea of starting each day with a full charge.

Reactions: Lucky_Man
You have added to my suspicion that the Tesla destination charger network is just not that useful for people like me who avoid expensive hotels. I hope that changes as more hotel chains install L2 charging. I really do like the idea of starting each day with a full charge.

It's useful, but not required unless you are deviating from the established routes. I'll be doing that this summer in Utah.

A friend and I just completed a Tesla-centric road trip last night--arriving home at a minute to midnight after enduring blizzard conditions over Vail Pass on I-70 heading back home. Here is a recap of the trip.

Tl;dr - The Model 3 was phenomenal the whole way, making what would have been an exhausting trip in any other vehicle--and a literally impossible trip in any non-Tesla EV--a blast.

The Trip
We left Denver around noon on Wednesday in my friend's P3D, heading north to Wyoming.

Thursday we checked out the Salt Lake City Tesla store, which has a bank of Superchargers on the lot. We continued onward, hitting up the Gigafactory--or trying to. Turns out that (as expected) there's no public access, and 'we're Tesla fans and would love to see even just the lobby' is not deemed a valid reason to approach. We ended Thursday in Truckee, CA, near Tahoe.

Using A Better Route Planner to manage a trip leg on the car's display
View attachment 390091

Friday morning we continued on to the Fremont factory, and took an afternoon tour. I can't talk about specifics due to the NDA, but in general terms: the factory employees were very friendly, waving and smiling at us on the tram while we navigated their work areas. I'm sure they're encouraged to act upbeat and be nice, but they did seem genuine. The factory tour is something I'd recommend any Tesla owner take if you find yourself planning to travel to the Bay area.

The Factory and my tour badge:
View attachment 390092 View attachment 390093

Saturday was down to LA to check out the Tesla Design Center and SpaceX HQ in Hawthorne. Did not catch a Model Y prototype or break into the top-secret area to get a gander at the pickup, but it was still a fun stop. There's a Supercharger monitor in the lobby that shows the current # of vehicles charging and where, along with totals for total system lifetime kWh delivered, miles enabled, and gallons of gasoline saved. It periodically zooms into random stations and gives further details, like # of stalls currently in use, total site consumption, etc. Tesla security asked me not to photograph it, so I did not. We also got to stand with the first successfully-recovered Falcon 9 and see the Hawthorne Hyperloop pod competition test track and Boring Company test tunnel.

SpaceX's HQ intersection on Rocket Rd, the first recovered Falcon 9, and Tesla Model S security vehicles at SpaceX
View attachment 390099 View attachment 390094 View attachment 390104

Saturday night we spent in Vegas as it was right along our route back home, and Sunday was a long but direct trip back to the Denver area.

Our route:
View attachment 390100

Some Stats (thanks, TeslaFi!)
  • Time spent driving: 42.6 hours
  • Time spent charging: 11.6 hours
  • Drive/charge ratio: 79% (eg about 1 hour of charging for every 4 hours driving)
  • 21 Supercharging stops, averaging 33 minutes. We used these breaks to have meals, grab snacks, use the restrooms, etc. As such, our total time spent sitting around waiting for charging to complete was about 30 minutes for the entire trip. Supercharging is a crazy-efficient use of time. We included no Destination charging hotels on this trip, so this should be an accurate representation of how easy it is to road trip in a Tesla when relying entirely on the Supercharger network for energy.
  • 2,479 miles driven, 3,428 rated miles used, for about an 80% efficiency rating. 299 Wh/mi per the car's trip computer. Overall trip average temp was 51 degrees, and ranged from about 25F to 75F.
  • 822 kWh consumed, which is the energy equivalent to 24.4 gallons of gasoline, or ~112.7 MPGe.
  • Those efficiency stats seem pretty good to me, as this was a P3D (18" Aeros with covers on for the trip) on Interstate highways that have long stretches of 80 MPH limits with 85 MPH+ prevailing speeds. Probably 90%+ of the miles we traveled were on roads with 70 MPH or higher speed limits. The trip also included tens of thousands of feet of elevation gain and loss as we passed over the continental divide in both directions, plus the mountains of Utah and California. Plus whiteout blizzard conditions coming home over Vail Pass, which was... nerve-wracking.

Trip stats
View attachment 390090

Some Observations
  • On long trips, especially condensed into a short period like this one was, Autopilot is worth its weight in gold. For all the complaints people (including myself) have raised about the system, it's virtually flawless on long interstate drives, and takes the vast majority of the stress out of the drive. Auto-lane change is a great addition to Autosteer, and largely did a good job on our trip.
  • The Supercharger network remains a vastly under-appreciated competitive advantage for Tesla. As I mentioned above, we spent about 30 minutes (thirty minutes!) in total waiting for charging. Across a 4+ day, 2,749-mile trip. I've had good luck not waiting in the past, but generally travel with my kids and wasn't sure whether I was being too generous to the Supercharger system's effectiveness due to the slowness of my kiddos when we make a stop. But this trip was just two adult dudes, and we did not dawdle. We ate meals at a quick pace, made speedy restroom stops, and grabbed snacks for the road on some stops. Even given this, the car was ready to continue before we were on the large majority of our 21 stops. Could we have pushed ourselves to the point where we were waiting for charging more often? Sure. But it would not have been as enjoyable of a trip.
  • Following on the prior point--no other manufacturer's EV could have made this trip in a reasonable time. None, and it's not even close. This is why I believe the Supercharger network is such an advantage. It's literally the only way to take this sort of trip in any EV, and that's not going to change anytime soon. Even if/when competition has sufficient network locations to complete the trip, it will be a long time additional to that before it's as convenient and fun as Tesla's. Being able to just have the nav calculate everything, pull up to a stall, plug in and walk away (without hassling with charge network payment/membership cards), then have the phone app ping us when we have enough charge for our specific trip's next leg is a level of integration that I don't expect from anyone else anytime in the near-to-medium term.
  • This is the third road trip of > 1,500 miles I've taken in a Model 3. All three were similarly easy to make happen, with very little range anxiety. The only times I've had serious anxiety were on last summer's trip, which included a 280-mile single leg up to Medora, ND to see Teddy Roosevelt National Park (no Superchargers in ND yet, so we used an RV park adjacent to our hotel--rented an RV space and just parked there overnight using the UMC on a 14-50 outlet), and last night coming home when we didn't plan on adding 90 minutes and blizzard conditions to that leg (much heavier HVAC usage, much colder and less efficient weather than expected when we departed the prior Supercharger). In both cases, the car made it without any issues.
  • The Kettleman City Supercharger seems like a proof-of-concept of what interstate fueling stops will look like in the future--40 stalls, a lounge, a barista (!), vending machines that included sandwiches, wi-fi, Tesla gear, windshield cleaning and tire-filling station, and a giant solar canopy and energy storage to aid in peak shaving. It's just a great execution of the post-gasoline rest stop.
Random but representative Supercharger session snapshot
View attachment 390101

I highly recommend road tripping in a Tesla.
Are you ever right! In November we started on a 8500 mile trip in our Model X we had kitted out with a mattress, tent, sleeping bag, snacks and luggage. Daytona Beach to Daytona Beach via: Denver, Vancouver BC, San Francisco, Fremont, LA, Flagstaff-excellent destination charger that encouraged us staying at the hotel a couple of more nights, Amarillo-another destination charger and canyon (Palo Duro), Tulsa, St. Louis and Daytona Beach. The car drove itself through snowy passes in OR and traffic in LA, about 7000 miles in total. We returned in mid-December. What a gas!

Are you ever right! In November we started on a 8500 mile trip in our Model X

That is... a lot of miles. Nicely done. I'd love to take an extended road trip someday, but right now getting more than a week at a time is difficult. We'll be doing another loop in July from Denver through several National Park sites in Utah--Hovenweep, Natural Bridges, Rainbow Bridge, Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon, and Capitol Reef. That one will be a bit more challenging as we'll be off the Supercharger path for portions of it, but destination charging should make it doable so long as there aren't any Tesla overloads at the lodging.

What a gas!

Incorrectly-Used-Words-Inigo-Montoya.jpg

I agree with the supercharger network. I have a Model S 55 K miles and done the Boston/DC x 3 a trip Boston Orlando X 1. We did the college drop off of an entire dorm room x 3 with one child and x 4 with the second, plenty of room. The SC network is underappreciated, as is the autopilot. After several round trips, you get to know what SC are fastest Auburn vs Framingham, and where the best food is, Allentown Lebanese restaurant for lunch. It gets to be a way to travel that is easier than ICE and I think better than flying. This is especially clear if you need to bring stuff. We did the Boston to NC Ashville area to pick up furniture bed and bureau. Yes, it fit. Love it.

Great trip report. Thank you! +1 for the Supercharger network. It really does change the paradigm. Our daughter and grandson
live in Michigan (we're in Toronto) so my wife has a number of 5 hour trips across the border in her model S (she got tired of me driving it so she told me to get my own). The Supercharger stops are exactly as described - enough time to take a break, get some food and snacks, and the car tells you it's ready to go again. At first I thought the comparing the gasoline stop against the Supercharger would give the gas stop the edge every time. It really doesn't. You want to do the things you do during a Supercharger stop anyway, so it's the same. We could make the trip without a stop ( and have a couple of times with a low battery), but why? All the time in the car is such a joy, except Michigan roads. Every trip tells you why you bought this car!