Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Owner with Cancer's Dying Dream

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My best friend from medical school, Matthew Chan, is a 39 year old radiologist in Sacramento with 3 kids who was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. His life expectancy is measured in months, probably less than 6.

I am helping him with his bucket list. He is a HUGE Tesla fan and has a Model S P85D and Model X 90D. He's done his 2 factory tours. He has solar panels charging his Teslas and works for his local EV club. He's a total EV nut.

I asked what he wanted to do when I go out and visit him in 2 weeks and he said, "I'll give you my next born if you can get me a meeting with JB Straubel or Franz Vons Holzhausen."

I don't want his damn kids, but I'd like to help him out anyway I can.

Here's a brief bio on him:
Alumni Spotlight | Fall 2015 | UC Davis Medicine Magazine

I was wondering if anyone on this group had any connections they could leverage in getting a brief meeting with one or the other (preferably Straubel as I've been told he's located only 1.5 hours away).

Just trying to help my friend. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan Miller

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan, thanks for posting. There must be someone with a Tesla management connection who can help Matthew :cool:
upload_2018-1-4_20-5-28.png

Last edited:
I looked up the internet for "stage 4 colon cancer":

Stage 4 means it has spread to other sites, such as the liver or lungs and not just locally so the challenge is enormous.

In 1990's, with aggressive treatments the survival rate was up to 8 months but now it's much longer which could be up to 30 months but each case is unique with different remaining time on earth.

Hope his wish will come true!

My best friend from medical school, Matthew Chan, is a 39 year old radiologist in Sacramento with 3 kids who was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. His life expectancy is measured in months, probably less than 6.

I am helping him with his bucket list. He is a HUGE Tesla fan and has a Model S P85D and Model X 90D. He's done his 2 factory tours. He has solar panels charging his Teslas and works for his local EV club. He's a total EV nut.

I asked what he wanted to do when I go out and visit him in 2 weeks and he said, "I'll give you my next born if you can get me a meeting with JB Straubel or Franz Vons Holzhausen."

I don't want his damn kids, but I'd like to help him out anyway I can.

Here's a brief bio on him:
Alumni Spotlight | Fall 2015 | UC Davis Medicine Magazine

I was wondering if anyone on this group had any connections they could leverage in getting a brief meeting with one or the other (preferably Straubel as I've been told he's located only 1.5 hours away).

Just trying to help my friend. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan Miller
Alan -- we're on it. Will see if we can help.

Update: Thank you EVERYONE who has helped, emailed me, sent me phone numbers and given suggestions and thank you especially to Bonnie Durand Norman and John McNeil for their assistance. Matthew Chan has a meeting with JB Straubel on January 24th for which he is elated about. I can't wait and am very excited for him. Will keep you updated!

An update to above and a testament to the support from the company including Sophie, Nick, Bonnie and many others - Matt will be meeting with BOTH JB Straubel and Franz Holhausen, not just one. We are really excited and I will keep you updated

An update to above and a testament to the support from the company including Sophie, Nick, Bonnie and many others - Matt will be meeting with BOTH JB Straubel and Franz Holhausen, not just one. We are really excited and I will keep you updated
I heard they were both honored to be asked. I'm so glad Matt has you for a friend. :)

(And props to Jon - you know what you did. This is why I love this company. It's made up of a LOT of caring people.)