Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Theory on this Week's Announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't play out the way I posited, but I'll take it. This was a far more complex transaction than I envisioned, but it achieved the same outcome. I'm impressed that they pulled it together so quickly.
Good call. I don't see battery swapping coming. I take care of my car would not want someone else's battery. When you buy a gas grill you get a brand new tank. You take it to get filled and they swap it for a rusted scraped pos. trivial example but I wouldn't swap. He is so precise in his statements and he did say anywhere in country

Good call. I don't see battery swapping coming. I take care of my car would not want someone else's battery. When you buy a gas grill you get a brand new tank. You take it to get filled and they swap it for a rusted scraped pos. trivial example but I wouldn't swap. He is so precise in his statements and he did say anywhere in country

Read the thread. We are trying to address this (though haven't come to a final solution yet).

I think it's time for another update to the "Who Killed the Electric Car", and "Revenge of the Electric Car", maybe this one should be named: "Tesla: Dominance of the Electric Car", as by the time the rest of the lumbering auto industry wakes up from their comas, there will be no way to even compete with them, how can you compete with a company giving away free energy to all of their customers for long distance travel? Brilliant engineering, financing and execution, they have it all.

I think it's time for another update to the "Who Killed the Electric Car", and "Revenge of the Electric Car", maybe this one should be named: "Tesla: Dominance of the Electric Car", as by the time the rest of the lumbering auto industry wakes up from their comas, there will be no way to even compete with them, how can you compete with a company giving away free energy to all of their customers for long distance travel? Brilliant engineering, financing and execution, they have it all.

Ironman 4 - Crushing OPEC

Am I the only one that thinks the SuperCharger announcement really won't be some EPIC, FUTURISTIC announcement like Musk has been alluding to (i.e. charging faster than you could fill a gas tank)? I really think it will be some standard update on the, perhaps accelerated, rollout of SuperChargers across the country, including potentially an expanded rollout plan. Musk could simply have been tweeting about a future technology that will continue to make EVs more and more fit for everyday people - not something in the immediate future.

Am I the only one that thinks the SuperCharger announcement really won't be some EPIC, FUTURISTIC announcement like Musk has been alluding to (i.e. charging faster than you could fill a gas tank)? I really think it will be some standard update on the, perhaps accelerated, rollout of SuperChargers across the country, including potentially an expanded rollout plan. Musk could simply have been tweeting about a future technology that will continue to make EVs more and more fit for everyday people - not something in the immediate future.

next week is the supercharger announcement which is probably 120KW charging in lots more locations... probably giving ability to drive coast to coast

the last announcement is, i think, the ultra-fast charging announcement which many feel is battery swapping

Wouldn't take much to see an acceleration since nothing has been happening lately.

Sure. If he wants to lose all credibility in twitter, and give up his ability to punish the shorts at will. I somehow don't think he would do that.

Either way, he set himself up for getting questions on that, so even if he doesn't specially unveil it, he'll have to address the questions. The market is definitely not going to be happy with a: "Just trust me on this".

Given how they have focused on unveiling routes, not locations. I suspect what we will see is the coast-to-coast chain of chargers opened.

I agree. I've had a picture in my mind's eye since the infamous Broder weekend, of Elon, JB, & Co. getting together around a white board in their war room to brainstorm how to address all the major objections and negative perceptions in preparation for the scaling up of the operations. I believe they walked out of that session with a series of steps to be implemented and communicated, many of which we've seen rolled out with good success over the past few weeks (leasing, service improvements, manufacturing efficiencies, etc.). The one remaining objection, and potentially the biggest in terms of the broader acceptance for the non-enthusiast, is the question of range and specifically the need for a fast and pervasive charging network for longer trips. I believe what we'll see next week is a combination of faster SuperCharging and a significant number of new sites across the country. With a little "Elon math", this would let them claim that it's as fast as stopping to fill a tank of gas (average 12 mins). I would also not be surprised if they didn't announce a partnership with a major hotel or restaurant chain (Starbucks/McD, Hilton, etc.) to enable more widespread overnight charging. Next week, we should also see a software update with the the improvements to the navigation system allowing you to navigate easily to charging stations/SuperChargers, followed by another cool software feature (no idea what) that's right under our noses.

Personally, I still don't see the battery swapping program being part of these announcements, as much as I respect Citizen-T's uncanny prognosticating ability (though I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this one).

APPL doesn't have the $$$ to buy TSLA - all of their money is tied up overseas and they aren't bringing it to the US to avoid taxes. (Cook has repeatedly asked for a Corporate Tax Holiday)

Moreover, they issued a bond to pay the dividends.

So no, APPL isn't going to buy TSLA.

Just my opinion anyways

Maybe Tesla does not want the $$$ in the US. Would it make sense to use the overseas cash to pay for an EU completion facility, Superchargers, and service?? Just thinking......

Status
Not open for further replies.