Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A thief broke into my car, but the alarm didn't go off. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were at a funeral in the process of putting a loved one to rest and a thief smashed into my car and stole my sister's purse (Yes, we should have known better than to leave valuables in the car in plain sight).

The car alarm didn't go off and I'm wondering why?? Does it not detect glass breakage? Or maybe the tint I applied tempered the glass breaking noise thus not activating a sensor? Does the car alarm only work when a door/trunk/hood is open while the car is locked? I'll be asking the service center about this when I go and get my window replaced in a few days. I just picked up the P90D back in September.

Either way, we caught him on camera and it's making its way thru the media outlets.
20151218_130554.jpg
20151218_130559.jpg

A few local TV stations were nice enough to broadcast his face in hopes of capturing thief:

Notice in the video the alarm did not go off. Why?!

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear this. What kind of loser steals from someone in this situation?

My understanding is that the alarm sounds when the door is opened without unlocking the car. For example, if you roll down the window, lock the car from the outside, and then reach in and open the door from the inside, the alarm will sound. It doesn't detect glass breaking.

Please keep us updated, I hope the thief get caught by the police and get prosecuted. My sister's car got broken into at a cemetery a couple years ago. When she reported the crime, they said it's very common, and happens almost weekly.

Obviously his crime is over $950, so it's consider grand thief instead of petty theft under the new CA penal code 484 $ 488.

Wrap is matte black and Ocean Blue 3M 1080.

That stinks that U.S. cars don't come with glass breakage sensors. I wonder why? Even my old 96 Toyota Camry had that.

We're hoping if enough people see the news and recognize the guy, he'll get caught.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing even if he did get captured, we probably won't get much from it other than some jail time for him where he'll be back to his old ways. Obviously, he's done this before, so perhaps his recidivism might get him some prison time. In any case, stay safe during the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were at a funeral in the process of putting a loved one to rest and a thief smashed into my car and stole my sister's purse (Yes, we should have known better than to leave valuables in the car in plain sight).

The car alarm didn't go off and I'm wondering why?? Does it not detect glass breakage? Or maybe the tint I applied tempered the glass breaking noise thus not activating a sensor? Does the car alarm only work when a door/trunk/hood is open while the car is locked? I'll be asking the service center about this when I go and get my window replaced in a few days. I just picked up the P90D back in September.

Either way, we caught him on camera and it's making its way thru the media outlets.

A few local TV stations were nice enough to broadcast his face in hopes of capturing thief:

Notice in the video the alarm did not go off. Why?!

Suspect sought following theft at Sacramento cemetery did a better job of giving stills of the suspect. They'll get more security video from the Target.

He's sure to get caught but it still sucks that you have to deal with it at all.

It can't be read off the videos posted on the news reports, but can you read the creep's license plate on the original full res video? That is one of the major benefits of a high-res dashcam setup.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the license plate off the raw video. The DR650GW-2CH front cam is 1920x1080 while the rear cam is 1280x720. It's "High" quality settings don't seem up to snuff, so I'm going to configure the cam for "Highest" quality instead of the default "High" after the window is replaced. I just had the camera installed a 3 weeks prior.