Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A thread for people with no problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one of the first Canadian red multi-coat Model S's, a 2013 P85 with 45,000km on the odometer. Other than some company recalls/upgrades, it had only been in for service to replace the 12V battery in year 4 and to fix the tire sensor system twice, all free of charge.

In my 4+ years of ownership, I have never had a major problem and I only brought it in for its first service a few days before the end of warranty, in order to look for imminent problems. It got a clean bill of health and I wish I had saved my money and not brought it in for service at all.

Oh, and the crazy thing is my husband rear-ended someone with it around 2015 and I was sideswiped by a large truck in 2016 - repair cost was $2,500 and $18,000 CAD respectively. So my classic Model S has survived two major accidents with very extensive body damage, and still runs like a dream!

Reactions: TLej
I'm at 78,000 Km since March 2014, and I love my S85 as much today as the day I took delivery! Sure, I've had 'little' stuff that's cropped up, but in every instance I've been more than pleased with the service from Tesla. My expectation (and experience) is that every vehicle will have issues, but the aggravation factor with the Tesla has been FAR below that of any other make of vehicle that I've had over the years.

We have had our Model S 90D since June of 2016. We put 42,000 miles on it the first year. We live on a ranch 50 miles southeast of Denver and 20 miles from the nearest pavement. We live on clay roads that are really slick when wet and have driven through lots of deep mud and snow with no problems. We have been to the West Coast three times & to Florida twice and to Branson twice. We have hit 24 states, charged at 105 different Superchargers and are having a ball.
The autopilot stopped working, so I called the Service Center and they asked me if the car was clean or dirty. It was covered with bugs and dirt. I washed about 40 grasshoppers out of the grill and the problem was solved. IF YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE: Make sure your wife gets out of the car and lock it so the system will reset and test the sensors. Because we live in the sticks and in the mud, the autopilot can't work if the car is covered in mud or bugs. So WASH THE CAR IF IT IS DIRTY, and the autopilot will work.
I've been driving for 53+ years, have lived on three continents and have owned many, many cars and trucks and my Tesla Model S is far and away the greatest car I have ever driven. Sixteen months and 53,000 miles and we love it more each day. We have TWO Model 3s on order (from day one), and will buy the Tesla Pickup the 1st day it is available. Since getting the Model S we have given our children our VW Golf and our Lexus RX and only drive our diesel pickup if we have something big to haul. We will only drive Teslas for the foreseeable future.

I noticed that you mention putting Winter tires on, when we bought our Model S and picked it up last June, we were told we wouldn't need Winter tires. I was about to put my two sets of Winter tires from our trade-in cars (Lexus and Prius) on line to sell. Perhaps I should check the size of these and keep to put on our new Tesla if they fit? Can anyone advise me?
Hi @Dondix . I haven't felt I've needed winter tires so far; the traction in the 90D is as good as or better than the Subarus (Legacy wagon and Outback) that I drove before this car. We don't typically get a ton of snow here, compared to some of the Eastern states/provinces, just cold but our roads do stay snowy and icy for long periods of time over the winter. I'm only considering it this year now that the tires have quite a bit more wear on them. Also, this car is heavy and you notice the inertia going into corners more than my previous cars - better off the line, not as good turning or stopping when the roads are slick. Regen braking is also trickier in the winter, sometimes not there at all (leaving work at the end of the day), sometimes stronger than I'd like if it's slippery. I can't speak as to whether your tires will fit, good luck to you though.

17,000 miles and no major faults. It had a paint blemish on delivery that they pointed out to me and fixed perfectly. I had a 12V battery say it was dying, and I had replaced free of charge when it was convenient. One door panel is slightly out of alignment, but it took over a year for me to notice, so not worth fixing. Zero battery degradation after two years.
We just got back from a ~3000 mile road trip, and we're eager to hit the road again for the next one.
It's one of the best purchases I've ever made, and I'm still excited about it after two years.

26 months and over 62000 km of commuting in my P85D - I am in owe of this car. No problems, other than a chip in the windshield and replacing tires before the manufacturer's recommended mileage, due to the weight of the car. If a Tesla owner complains about issues with his/her car, I feel sympathetic. No product is perfect at first. It takes time to improve. And from what I have seen/heard/read, Tesla is quite fast at fixing things and keeping customers happy. However, when I hear people who have never owned a Tesla criticize the company, my first thought is that they are a bunch of uninformed, jealous idiots.

Ayube this thread should be on the front page, then get picked up by the media: “Tesla owners report fantastic reliability and quality”
Nah, would not attract readers and drive enough ad revenue...

21k miles, no complaints, one Service Center visit for minor stuff where I was given a complimentary tire rotation.
I have also added windshield washer fluid. :)

When I was first thinking about a Tesla Model X, the fact that the SC was only 3 miles away and that I had another car to drive were factors in the decision. After a late December delivery those factors were helpful. A fitting failed in the A/C and lost the charge. There was a flaw in the windshield and it had to be replaced. There were a few other minor things: noisy FWDs, door latch, moisture in taillight. But now it looks like those were teething issues. I haven't been to the SC for 6 months. I have occasional bugs with the electronics but they aren't permanent or disabling. I'm starting to feel the car is reliable. As everyone has said, it is a joy to drive! I'm glad I got the upgrade sound system: it's great! Although the 5-seater was delayed in release and in final fitting out, it has worked well for me.

I have a service truck for my business so the Tesla is a weekend vehicle. In 9 months, I only have 4,000 miles. The way things have smoothed out, it should last as long as the payments!

I have had my Tesla Model S for just over a month now with 7500km on the clock.
The car is just perfect, best I have ever owned. Still giving joy rides to friends every day.
Not the slightest hint of it ever letting me down even though we are all giving it a hammering; a few minor squeaks which will be fixed next time I pass the SC.
I'm not sure what I would do if I had to choose between my wife or my car; and I do love my wife very much.

• Funny
Reactions: Ken7 and GaryW
Ahh, just remembering ... not a big thing, just annoying!

Before the yearly inspection I could wake up the car from my Android App with the energy saving option set to ON.
Since then I cannot wake it up from the App when in sleep mode.
The App and connection works if the car has just been parked or is charging.
At the inspection my SIM card was replaced; I suspect that to be the issue.

The TESLA call agent said there is no problem, I just need to switch the energy saving option OFF.
With set to OFF I can connect at any time but do consume more power.

In the TFF-Forum.de I found quite some others having the same issue. Seems to be a European problem!

Hope this will be fixed in the near future!

It takes a couple of minutes for my car to wake up with the app, but it does, but I'm in the US.

Reading the above, my 2015 P90D must be a lemon, as it has a long list of on-going problems that Tesla can't fix. Most serious one -- which they did fix -- was the main battery failure when the car was 6 months old, and which it then took Tesla 7 months to correct.

So -- for all of you enjoying trouble free miles (or Km) realize that you are among the blessed and enjoy your cars!!!!! I'm envious!!!!

Was your car built at the end of a quarter? I think that's when their quality can tank. It's a bad business practice, but Wall Street is looking so intently, they do it anyway.

Trigger is my Model S 75's name. Remember Roy Rogers? I have 13,000 miles on the clock with one round trip to the Grand Canyon from Houston. I am beyond pleased with every aspect of my Model S. The Houston Service Center replaced my Park brake calipers during my First Annual Service. And what a report did I get. Details with numbers of everything they checked, pages of it. They even print out wheel alignment measurements before and after alignment. I have never never gotten that much information on previously owned cars (BMW Roadsters, VW's, and a Sterling which was serviced by Rolls-Royce).
I did have one service experience while on the Grand Canyon Trip. At the start of a day about mid way I got a message that "Driver Assist Features" were not available in a yellow box in the instrument panel. I've read the blogs. I 'm an engineer, I'll just reboot the computers. I did and that was no help. So I called the California Help Line 877 number and the very pleasant lady listened to my problem and efforts to fix it. Then she ran some diagnostics over the car's cell phone link and found no major problems but she said "Let's try a Power OFF reset" she talked me through that on my cell phone and stayed on the line during the entire process which took about 5 minutes. When I restarted Trigger the message was gone. We were not done yet. She stayed on line until I pulled out onto I-40 and took her up to 60 mph and engaged AP-1. It worked perfectly!
Now that is road service --- no matter where you are! Or should we call it Customer Care? In either case her parting words were "Have a nice trip" and I could tell she meant it. We settled back into Tesla Comfort and listened to streaming Classical Music in the desert of NewMexico. Life is really good!

I had that happen once when I was a few blocks from the Service Center in Portland (the only time I had ever been in that neighborhood and not intended to go to the Service Center). They explained to me it's a quirk with AP1 that if there is just the wrong sunglare when the cameras are booting, it can cause the system to hang.

As a new owner of a show room model MS 90D that I’ve added 2000 of the total 5000 miles, I am happy to report that I’ve also had no issues to require me to go to the service center. My only complaint is that I now loathe driving my other car.

Got a new Model S 90D since July 2016, it clocks 31,000 miles and I am glad to report we had no issues whatsoever

I must be in the minority here, and I'm okay with that, but I just thought I'd create a thread for those of us that have had trouble-free experiences so far since I've searched the site and been unable to find one.

It's been 637 days and 46,275 km since I got my Model S. So far I have not had to replace a door handle, mirror, touchscreen, drive unit, charge-port door, or any other piece of hardware. I have added windshield washer fluid, once. I have rotated the tires 4 times with even tire wear and no noticeable brake wear. I have had a tire puncture repaired, but am still on my original 19" Michelins (I have not yet put winter tires on, but might need to this year) and have my original 12V battery and wiper blades. My car has never seen a Ranger or a service centre, although I'll probably get the 2-year service done later this year now that a service centre has opened about 3 hours away. I have replaced one windshield, and 2 weeks after getting the replacement got another un-fixable rock chip, however I don't see that as being a quality-control problem. I have rashed 2 rims slightly :( but that's all on me.

I have had the usual issues with GPS getting confused, non-random shuffle play of USB-sourced music, the car occasionally not triggering the garage door to open or close, and other software-related items. I don't consider those to be "problems", because they are annoying when they happen but they usually resolve on their own, and if not then a reboot cures it. Except the non-random shuffle; it will be a happy day indeed when they figure out that seemingly insurmountable technical challenge :D.

I am grateful that I have not had to deal with issues that many or most of you have, and I'm not trying to minimize those who have had issues, but I did want to point out that Tesla does have the ability to build a quality, reliable car, and I'm glad that I got one of those ones. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself with this thread :rolleyes:. Any other trouble-free owners out there?

Reactions: TLej and EinSV
S85D here since 8/15. 40K mi: ~1100 mi/mo, 2 drivers, 90% home charging; 3/3000+ mi road trips, 2 drivers, 90% supercharging. Just replaced tires with less than 2K mi remaining tread. 2 annual service checkups - no issues. Car was built w/o reworks in factory.

Waiting for Model 3 to use locally. Will probably never buy another gas car.

Reactions: PrGrPa and TLej
Took delivery in Jan 2017. Upstate Michigan, snow on the ground as she was reversed out of the delivery semi. Immediate snow tire installation and I have not looked back since. I drive all the vehicles in my life hard. I've put 16k on her doing everything from a cannonball run out to Vegas and back with speeds in 150's to dragstrip performance extremes.
In fact, I hold four EV dragway records.

But when it comes to breakdowns, like I have experienced before becoming a Tesla-convert... I have had none. While it is true the headlights needed adjustment, a fuse for my 12v supply needed replacement (my fault) and my driver side door mirror needed attention... Thank you Tesla Tony! I just answered the door, and a rover was parked in my driveway.

I spent more time talking about my car than Tony needed to make needed adjustments. I love my car, and I love every Tesla employee I have met.

Never mind that my car is safer, more comfortable, and more capable than she was in January on delivery day. After my first drive I realized that everyday in our future together will be like Xmas and birthday rolled into one. 9 months later I realized I was wrong... Its actually better than that.
0917170654f_HDR.jpg