Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A tiny paint smear: $730 to fix!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever have one of those days? I did late last week.

There were some spots on my steering wheel; been there since the day I took delivery. Rather than drive to Tesla to get them removed, however, I thought I'd try some cleaners. Well, the cleaner didn't remove the spots (see picture) but some of the cleaning fluid on the cloth brushed against the bezel around the airbag and removed the paint (see picture)! :cursing:

steeringwheela.jpg

I called Tesla. To replace the bezel means installing a new airbag, which means $730. Obviously I'm looking for alternatives.

1) Anyone in the SF Bay area know a good paint shop that might be willing to take this on? Due to placement and size, I don't need a perfect match here.

2) Failing that, I'm thinking of sliding some paper between the bezel and the steering wheel, and between the bezel and airbag cover and then spray paint the bezel a completely new color. Maybe black, maybe a black chrome, I don't know. Anyone ever tackle anything like this?

Any other ideas?

At any rate, note that while the steering wheel proper is clear coated with something that stands up to cleaners, the airbag bezel is not. Be careful if you detail your car's steering wheel!!!

Last edited: