Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A tire PSI thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'm here to share and I have looked up a bunch of threads about is it right or not.

Second Tesla, had a 2018 Model 3 from March 2019 until August 2021 and then a MYLR since then.

I just replaced the OEM continentals on Gemini's at about 19,300. I run a lot of dirt roads, did a couple 1000 mile road trips and I used them over the winter with no issues. I rotated them 3 times.

My car guy(because we have nothing Tesla in Vermont) services my convertible Porsche, and changed out my tires for me suggested I bump up the PSI. I ran the last set at the stock 42PSI. He suggested 48PSI as those are what the heavier BMW's use as a minimum. He illustrated that to me with the fact that the wear on the outer edges of all my tires were warn a bit more than the center.

So community. You've got 15,000-25,000 miles, what have your OEM tires said about your pressures?

I guess I'm here to share and I have looked up a bunch of threads about is it right or not.

Second Tesla, had a 2018 Model 3 from March 2019 until August 2021 and then a MYLR since then.

I just replaced the OEM continentals on Gemini's at about 19,300. I run a lot of dirt roads, did a couple 1000 mile road trips and I used them over the winter with no issues. I rotated them 3 times.

My car guy(because we have nothing Tesla in Vermont) services my convertible Porsche, and changed out my tires for me suggested I bump up the PSI. I ran the last set at the stock 42PSI. He suggested 48PSI as those are what the heavier BMW's use as a minimum. He illustrated that to me with the fact that the wear on the outer edges of all my tires were warn a bit more than the center.

So community. You've got 15,000-25,000 miles, what have your OEM tires said about your pressures?
At 48, you'll ride harsher, perform poorer (esp braking), and wear out the centers of the tires quicker. IMO, 42 is towards the high side. You want the contact patch roughly even across the tire.

I suspect Tesla tells us 42 partially to get better range. My car does get noticeably higher range at 42 than 36. (19" Gemini)

I go the opposite direction - 39 psi cold all the way around. Here in SoCal, when the tires warm up I am sitting right at 41-42 psi. I've experimented with higher and lower pressures and this is the happy spot for me in terms of ride comfort and handling. If you have XL load rated tires (with inherently stiffer sidewalls and more rigid construction), there is really no reason to go above 45psi unless you want the car to ride like a buckboard.

If you research Extra Load (XL) rated passenger vehicle tires you will find that XL tires must be inflated to at least 41 or 42 PSI to meet the tire's stated load rating.
True. Good thing we don't need that load rating. The OEM 19" tires are rated for 1984#. 4x1984# is almost a ton more than a fully loaded MY.

True. Good thing we don't need that load rating. The OEM 19" tires are rated for 1984#. 4x1984# is almost a ton more than a fully loaded MY.
Agreed to meet the max load rating you need to run at manufacturer recommended pressure. The tires I run support a max of 2271lbs per tire x4 so over 9000lbs total load which is way overkill. So I can comfortably run a lower pressure and not even come close to hitting the load limit.

The other thing I look at is UTQG rating - the stock tires on my MYLR were 500AA with 8/32 tread and the new tires I run are 680AA with 11/32 tread which has a much longer wearing tread compound. Should be able to get 30k+ miles easy from the new tires - I'm 12,000 miles in and they have only worn 3/32 with dead even treadwear across the contact patch when run at 39psi cold. I have my alignment dialed with aftermarket camber and toe arms which helps too.

Tesla engineers chose a tire for the 19" Gemini wheels that have a load index of 104 for reasons that are only known to Tesla. The tire must be able to handle the dynamic load shifting that occurs when starting, stopping, lane changing maneuvers and towing. In the event of a tire blowout the remaining tire on the same axle must be able to support the vehicle so that the vehicle can be safely moved to the shoulder.

Sorry tire question not PSI. I live just south of you in Western Ma and will need new tires before winter. I’m curious what you replaced the OEM Conti’s with? By the way, will be in your area for a couple weeks in August, Pomfret. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

Sorry tire question not PSI. I live just south of you in Western Ma and will need new tires before winter. I’m curious what you replaced the OEM Conti’s with? By the way, will be in your area for a couple weeks in August, Pomfret. Looking forward to it. Thanks.
I actually got another set of the OEM Conti's on the board here last spring for $500 new.

I ran my new on car Conti's over the winter on the gemini's no problem.

I also got a set of 19 inch tsportline's with Pilot Sport all season's with about 9000 miles on them that I am running now.

My intent is to use the pilot sports thru the fall, including a 2500 mile trip coming up. Then in the winter use the new continentals. Then next summer use the pilot sports until they wear out. I'll pop on some Michelin x-ice on the tsportlines for the winter. Then I'll run the continentals until they need replacing. Probably will search out here on the board some take offs of more OEM tires.

Pomfret is nice I used to live there, its only 4 miles from woodstock. West Lebanon NH charger is currently getting upgraded FYI.

Reactions: davraker
Also to return to this thread about PSI. I'm running them at 45 and do not mind the ride and did notice some efficiency since upping the PSI monday.

I also just had an alignment and boy, it was out quite a bit. It didn't really show on the tires after 19k, but that is probably because I rotate(back to front and then cross front to back) and had done 3 tire rotations over 19k miles.

In the brief amount of time, 20 miles or so I noticed my efficiency was improved and the car wasn't pulling to the right, albeit slightly.

Get an alignment.

Running too much pressure reduces the size of the contact patch. Try a hard stop on wet roads at with your tires overinflated and see the difference.

For those regularly running 45, can you measure your tread depth across the tire and report your findings? I suspect you'll see the center wearing fast, especially for the rear tires.

Reactions: everydaychris
I go the opposite direction - 39 psi cold all the way around. Here in SoCal, when the tires warm up I am sitting right at 41-42 psi. I've experimented with higher and lower pressures and this is the happy spot for me in terms of ride comfort and handling. If you have XL load rated tires (with inherently stiffer sidewalls and more rigid construction), there is really no reason to go above 45psi unless you want the car to ride like a buckboard.
yup that pretty much is my state of mind up here in hot weather.

Running too much pressure reduces the size of the contact patch. Try a hard stop on wet roads at with your tires overinflated and see the difference.

For those regularly running 45, can you measure your tread depth across the tire and report your findings? I suspect you'll see the center wearing fast, especially for the rear tires.
completely even wear all around. made it 32k could have done a little more but replaced it early because of a road trip. The guy at americas tires told me was shocked at how well these lasted considering its a tesla. Did rotations every 5k. I don't floor it anymore and 1 pedal driving isn't harsh. I use autopilot alot as well

I’ve been running 38 PSI since day one and after 21K miles the outside tread is worn .50/32nds more than the center tread. I recently set it back to 43-44 PSI and the ride wasn’t as stiff as I remembered when we took delivery. The suspension has probably settled in after a year. Will be replacing tires next week.