Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$A - $US Time to evaluate if sitting on the fence?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the $A down to 70c US, for those contemplating a Model S, may be a good time to do some number crunching. Not that I have heard anything, but with the $A at 70c need to watch closely if the Aussie stays around there as there may be a price rise in the not too distant future.
What do you all think?

Absolutely correct Brewster, there have been two price increases since the debut in December, both due to exchange rate.

In fact the most interesting number is that if you purchased (but not received) the car in December in Oz, comparing the USD dollar equivalent of the vehicle bought in California, the P85D is CHEAPER in Australia at AUD/USD of 75 cents. Including all taxes (California is 10% sales tax above the website price)

So the wait has at least financially been a good thing (although I would rather not waited)

Tesla is the only high performance car where that is so.....(BMW, Merc, Jag, etc) .... thank you Elon Musk

What confused me was this shown on Westpac site. Didn't think to check elsewhere.
Have I read something wrong here as this is no where near actual?

Aussie Dollar.png

Brewster

try not to use BIG Bank credit cards overseas, it will cost you 5% or so. And when an ATM asks you to fix an exchange rate NEVER agree, just let it float. You will save 3% instantly

i just came back from Europe on vacation during all of June. Used a credit union credit card and paid no fees and within 0.5% of actual official currency rate. Saved hundreds of dollars in fees

your original posting rings true, tesla will have to raise its prices soon

with my P85d in production, it has been a wonderful day".......

And the other consideration associated with the sting of a price correction for our ever falling peso is the numerous taxes that add about 50% to whatever price Tesla needs to add. I just wish we'd fix to the USD and forgo the myth of a floating currency

Speculation: AUD Down Monday (Greece) -- Tesla Price UP soon after

Continuation of Brewster's speculation about the AUD/USD ratio, and the effect on Tesla local pricing, let me propose the following:

• Scenario One: Germany gets tired of the Grecian politics and grandstanding and does not approve Greece's most recent submission to the EU. This story must end by midnight Sunday, local time (7am Monday Australia). The AUD plummets down 2-3 cents, taking the Australian market with it. The results in Tesla taking a bath on recent orders and therefore RAISES the price of the car by 5-10% by mid August (perhaps sooner)
  • Scenario Two: Germany gives into the idea that protecting the EU membership is more important that loosing a few billion Euros, and goes with Greece's plan. AUD up to 77 cents, no price increase in near future for Tesla

Time is running out in Europe, decision should be soon....:scared:

No inside info, but inSIGHT into the obvious disconnect. The price of the car in Australia measured in USD is "equal to"/"lower than" the price in California, INCLUDING taxes.
Not a good situation for Tesla. This has to be corrected soon.

Ah yes but they could correct it by lowering the price in the US... Not necessarily increasing AU...

Coz what was once expensive to make is now cheaper and quicker and all that jazz

Ah yes but they could correct it by lowering the price in the US... Not necessarily increasing AU...

Coz what was once expensive to make is now cheaper and quicker and all that jazz

huh?? you already have the cheapest supercar in the world. If you read their P/L they are loosing HUGE amounts of money, so every car they sell at the moment is a financial loss. Take a look at their cash bleed, mind boggling.

And yes, hoping the cars show up soon (mid September), and get modified to ludicrous quickly....and then the rallies and fun begins !!

I do apologise, the fall in the $AU started the moment the market discovered we were going on an overseas holiday.
Should go right back up as soon as we return after the October long week end. :cursing:

Very funny meloccom...

that's like me - I buy shares, they go down; I sell them, they go up. Why I reckon it's because I bought a D that the RHD D's became delayed! So I would recommend NOT going on a holiday with me...It will rain!