Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A used 2016 and above Model S or a new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Model S battery is prone to catch fire in a bad accident, in which case it can be difficult to open the doors from outside. M3 seems to have neither of those problems.

2. Model S front suspension steering arms are prone to snap off. Unresolved.

3. Model S front air suspension makes rattling noise at low speeds. Unresolved.

4. Model S AWD tends to develop shudder in front on high-acceleration launch after 30,000 miles, due to wear on half-arms.

All amply documented on this forum, use search function.

Based on what I have read, you are spot on. I ended up getting a great deal on the used model S anyway that it made more sense to me.

I'm not concerned about fire any more than any other car, but my car does have air suspension and I believe your #2 and #3 issues may be potential issues for me. The car I bought has an extended warranty so I'm covered for a while.

Reactions: OPRCE
I think the premise of this thread is actually a bit nonsensical. What is being asked is similar to the following:
1. Should I buy a new 3 series or a used m5
2. Should I buy a used jeep or a rav4

Its apples and oranges. M3 is good for being a smaller more nimble car, if you have a small family or are single, it makes a lot of sense. Older people tend to not want to drive sub-compact cars...they want something more substantive. Either way you cant go wrong. I will say even if you buy a P3d for $60k+ when a model S pulls up besides you, it is the more substantive car, and turns more heads even if it is older.

I dont' think it's always apples and oranges. I'm relatively young and have no kids. I prefer the exterior design of the smaller more nimble 3, but I prefer the dash, larger interior and free supercharging of my used model S. If the model 3 had the same style of traditional dash as an S or X, I probably would have bought a 3. for me, it was a big factor, for others I hear they don't miss a dash.

It's all personal preference....
upload_2019-3-19_23-14-9.png
upload_2019-3-19_23-14-9.png

Ok here's our dilemma here. We were thinking of either buying a used 2016 and newer Model S 75D or a brand new Model 3 dual motor. Prices will be similar when everything is done and calculated.

Now my question is if we were to go for the Model S is it better to buy it through Tesla for the warranty extension or to buy it from a independent dealer. I found a couple of 2016 and above Model S with great deals and low mileage from independent shops. But if I was to do that then the warranty will be up in a year or 2. Any good aftermarket warranty companies that deal with Tesla? Also how are the 2016 and up Model S models. How is the reliability. Any electrical problems or motor problems. I'm just concern as this will be the first Tesla me and my wife will try to own. Also something I need to think about as Consumer Reports always rate the reliability of Tesla on the bottom of the chain.

Or.... forget all of this and just go straight for a brand new Model 3 with the warranty and the first owner to touch the car.

Ahh this is nerve wrecking lol!!!

Three weeks ago I was in the same dilemma as you. Now there's a midnight metallic silver 2016 MS 70D with all the bells and whistle in my garage. Purchased from Tesla because with their 4/50 B2B warranty it's a no-brainer for me.

For me right now it's the lack of availability.

I want a S P100D with FSD. There are none on the Tesla CPO site. However, this summer all the 2016 leases are going to flood the site.

Wait nor not? Spend the extra 20 to 30 grand or not? Decisions, decisions...

I don’t believe the two cars are comparable. One is luxury and the other is mass outreach. The minimalist design of model 3 is not based on a “design philosophy,” it’s rather based on economics. Think of it like contemplating to buy a used Lexus vs. a new Toyota.

Well said. it is like comparing used Lexus ES with Toyota Carolla.
I was in the same boat couple month back. I got a nice deal on use 2016 MS60 with AP2, now I'm a happy camper. My daily use is around 100 miles so I'm covered with Model S.

Reactions: Maximus-MX
For me right now it's the lack of availability.

I want a S P100D with FSD. There are none on the Tesla CPO site. However, this summer all the 2016 leases are going to flood the site.

Wait nor not? Spend the extra 20 to 30 grand or not? Decisions, decisions...
You should have no problem finding the car you're looking for with EAP. FSD currently gives you NOTHING that you don't get with EAP. You can purchase FSD at anytime to a car that has EAP online from your Tesla account. Last week I could have added FSD to my model S for 2K and decided to pass because it would have given me zero features at this time. At some point FSD will have features not included with EAP. Maybe this year, maybe next year maybe with the model Y and maybe not. It's been coming soon for years. When it's really here and really works at least most of the time I'll add it then.

After all the back and forth on deciding which car to get we ended up getting the Model 3 Performance edition. The acceleration is mind boggling on the test drive. Plus my wife love the simplicity and cleanliness of the interior. We both love the size and look of the exterior as well. The handling also felt really similar to my BMW F80 M3. Thanks again for suggestions everyone.