Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Vent.....thanks for listening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like if you don't own a house and there is no option to charge at your apartment due to limitations then you shouldn't buy a Tesla, right?

Or is there way to regularly charge somewhere local without hogging a resource?
@June P , sorry for my misunderstanding. I retracted my dislike. It seems you had a genuine question. Supercharger use is a kind of controversial topic, so I responded in a wrong way.

So if you rent a house or condo, first you look is the availability of outlets in your dwelling. 120V, 240V, anything near your parking space? If you find them not in use, negotiate with the owner to use the outlet. If there's no such thing, you can also negotiate to wire your own outlet at your cost. This will modify the house or apartment wiring and/or appearance a little bit. If the owner allows it then that's enough and you'll be fine.

Next, if the above didn't work and if you commute, you can negotiate your workplace owner/manager/employer to allow you to use existing outlet for your exclusive use, or wire your own at your own expense. The cost varies, but if it's a simple home it would be $500 or $1000, if it's a concrete apartment and underground parking lot with distant power source, like if you park at B2F and the transformer is at B3F etc, it could cost upwards to $10,000, but that's rare.

I don't recommend buying a Tesla in the US without home charging and without workplace charging. You'll be using fast chargers or Superchargers every week but you have to wait 20-40 minutes to charge. In Tokyo, people drive only 5k miles a YEAR in average, so some apartment dwellers use Superchargers once in a few weeks and that's fine. Since you live in the States you will drive your Tesla every day and public charging would be an inconvenience for you.

Typical public charging is called L2, level 2, and it is 30A. This would give you about 7.2kW of power, and usually 22 miles per hour. This means if you connect to the L2 and went dinner and come back after 2 hours, you will see your range increased about 44 miles. If you drive a few miles a day then maybe visiting such local L2 charger and having lunch/dinner every week could work out for you. If you drive 40 or 50 miles a day, you absolutely need home/workplace charging.

Last edited: