Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A very simple way to avoid ICEd parking lots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
A new Tesla policy is to charge $0.40 / minute when the charging is completed if the car is not moved after 5 minutes.

I know that the idea would be to use the Tesla remote summon to move away a car in the future.

But what about ICEd car blocking an EV slot? There is curently not real procedure to deal with this issue.

In Japan, some metered parking (時間賃 Jikan chin) have a simple mechanism blocking a car when time is overdue.
This is simpler than having a police officer putting a ticket, or even a "Denver Boot" on a car wheel.

A similar device could be used to avoid an ICE car to enter into an EV charging lot:
- If the device detect that a car is parked, and then that the car is not pluged-in, then the slot raised up.

To unlock the device, the driver of a disabled ICEd car will need to use an App or to call and pay a fee to unlock the device.

Other possibility would be to have the deviced raised up to avoid any car to enter:
- Then, using a Tesla App, a driver would be able to lower the device to enter, and then to plug in.
This way no ICEd car would be able to enter.

Note: Such blocking mechanism could be combined with a "snake charger."

I'm not very happy to have this type of enforcement, but this might be more and needed in the future.

What do you think?

drink+vending+machine,+parking,+cakes,+%26+pizza+010.jpg

tinton-falls-nj-shupercharger-12_23_16_3pm-jpg.207561

metered-parking-picture-id488207031

Last edited:
It's not a matter of technical ability. The problem is Tesla doesn't own the supercharging areas, and the management of the shopping malls, etc. where they're located don't want to block customers from parking there.

Tesla must pay for leasing those spots anyway, so I assume that there must be some parking rules, like for Handicap parking.

Anyway, would you park at a gas station?

For example where I live, there is a gas station on the same lot as a REI store, and there is no real separation with the adjacent parking lot.

I imagine that one day the gas station will be gone, and will be replaced with EV charging stations :)

Also, all the Whole Foods Market I passed by have several reserved EV spots, and I never noticed any ICEd.

Last edited:
It's not a matter of technical ability. The problem is Tesla doesn't own the supercharging areas, and the management of the shopping malls, etc. where they're located don't want to block customers from parking there.

I am not sure this is true at all (excluding places that want to allow certain minutes for general parking).

I get it that locations may not want to start towing their customer cars because of the reputation issue with that, but that is totally different. I am not sure they would be opposed to a solution like this. If they are handing the space to Supercharging (again excluding places that negotiate general parking at Superchargers), and Tesla can softly solve the parking issue for them with something like this, what would they loose?

Tesla could be very smart about this too, start doing it at their most congested/ICEd sites at first and leave the rest be as they are...

IMO this sounds like a much better solution for ICEing problem than idle charging the few Teslas that can manage to squeeze in at an ICEd site...

Last edited: