Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A very unpleasant driving experience yesterday.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
Yesterday, as I might have mentioned elsewhere, I had to drive the Prius to Seattle, so that it can be shipped to Maui where I'll be spending the winter. The condo I'll be in does not have a plug for the Model 3 so it has to be the Prius. 4 1/2 hours of driving plus a cumulative 20 minutes or so of stops.

After half a year driving the Model 3 with EAP, it just seemed wrong to have to steer the car the whole time. Five hours on the road in the Prius was a very unpleasant experience. Fortunately, in Maui, the longest drive I'm likely to have to make is less than 40 minutes and most of my drives will be around ten minutes.

Haha I’ll one up your sob story: I recently rented a fully loaded Escalade on vacation. It had lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise control but I still couldn’t stand the amount of manual correction necessary. Cars that were more than 20mph or so slower were more or less ignored. It did not provide much assistance around curves for steering.

An hour in, I was tired of my passengers screaming every 5 minutes and just manually drove.

A
Yesterday, as I might have mentioned elsewhere, I had to drive the Prius to Seattle, so that it can be shipped to Maui where I'll be spending the winter. The condo I'll be in does not have a plug for the Model 3 so it has to be the Prius. 4 1/2 hours of driving plus a cumulative 20 minutes or so of stops.

After half a year driving the Model 3 with EAP, it just seemed wrong to have to steer the car the whole time. Five hours on the road in the Prius was a very unpleasant experience. Fortunately, in Maui, the longest drive I'm likely to have to make is less than 40 minutes and most of my drives will be around ten minutes.
Sounds like you need to buy another M3. PM me, I’ll send you my referral code. ;)

J1772 is an awfully slow charge. It's true I won't be driving much and I have the LR battery. But it's a PITA to have to take the car out to charge. Not to mention that without a garage the car will be sitting in the sun and the heat, and that led to serious problems for me in Canada this summer. I want a garage or at least a carport for shade and an outlet before I take the Tesla to Maui.

The Prius is a 2004. Ordered it in November, 2003, after driving one, and took delivery in January, 2004. It's actually a fine car, I was really just commenting on how spoiled I am after having EAP. Actually driving a car now seems outlandish.

I'll sell the Prius in Maui before I return home in the Spring. If I decide to move there for good I'll get a place where I can plug in my car and I'll ship the Tesla over.

This thread was supposed to be a kind of joke: Had a bad driving experience. Something wrong with the Model 3? No, driving anything else after a Tesla with EAP is an unpleasant experience. I guess the joke fell flat.

I feel your pain. My wife and I now laugh about how our brains are so conditioned to driving the Model 3 that when we drive the 2012 LEAF we have to do things like: unlock it, adjust the seat and mirrors and HVAC, turn it on, steer it, hold the brake pedal down at red lights, remember to turn off the power, remember to lock it before walking away. It's...exhausting.

Worth noting: my wife is a technophobe. It took her about four months to err toward driving the Model 3 over the LEAF. We are now seven months in, and Model 3 is essentially her car. I only use it a couple of days a week when driving into the city for meetings or whatever. As soon as Elon will sell me a Model Y, I'm in "take my money" mode because this whole "share a Model 3 while we wait for a Model Y" thing is...brutal.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
Plenty of people own Teslas without being able to home charge. You made the wrong choice to ship the Prius.

Probably too late at this point, but when I first got my car I didn't have the 220v installed yet. However, I was getting about 4 miles per hour charging in my plain old 110v outlet. In 24 hours, you can get about 80 miles added to the car- that actually was plenty for me for the 1st week before I got the 220 installed... YMMV of course.

Probably too late at this point, but when I first got my car I didn't have the 220v installed yet. However, I was getting about 4 miles per hour charging in my plain old 110v outlet. In 24 hours, you can get about 80 miles added to the car- that actually was plenty for me for the 1st week before I got the 220 installed... YMMV of course.

But in Maui I will not have a 110v outlet on the street where the car will be parked.

If I decide to move there for good, I'll buy a place where I can install a proper plug.