Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A view from the other side..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who knew that hiring some of the best developers in the world in Silicon Valley would yield good software?
Good software that's built from the ground up really is difficult to do. The only reason phone apps are half decent these days is because there's already extensive frameworks in place that just let you plug in pieces to create something.

Reactions: Yev000
Maybe its a little harsh but working headlights and wipers would mean more to my wife than any app as she simply doesn't use them.

And the e-308 starts at £27k on the road, plus discounts may be available, v a Tesla that starts at all but £42k - so its 2/3 of the price of even less.

Reactions: Sean. and Neilio
Who knew that hiring some of the best developers in the world in Silicon Valley would yield good software?
Good software that's built from the ground up really is difficult to do. The only reason phone apps are half decent these days is because there's already extensive frameworks in place that just let you plug in pieces to create something.
So why aren't these manufacturers using said frameworks?

I don't disagree that Tesla are employing the cream of the crop in terms of developers, but it's not beyond the wit of man or more specifically non-SV developers to design interfaces that align with what people are already familiar with.

So why aren't these manufacturers using said frameworks?

I don't disagree that Tesla are employing the cream of the crop in terms of developers, but it's not beyond the wit of man or more specifically non-SV developers to design interfaces that align with what people are already familiar with.

I can only answer for the Honda app... but it's not so much the interface that's a problem as the whole thing being a pile of garbage.

Loading it up typically involves signing in, twice, then granting it permission to secure storage, then it loads data. the whole process takes 10-20 seconds.

Then you're presented with info showing the car is unlocked and the lights on, because it's 13 hours old. If you ask it to update you're then given an alert that the data is from midnight, and you have to request an update by clicking a button labelled that.

It then spins and spins and spins for a minute or two before saying an error occurred, and giving you button to go to the FAQ.

If you tap to lock the car... again it'll spin a progress thing for a minute or two before telling you it couldn't do that... and giving you a link to the FAQ.

As I say, it's not so much that the user interface is bad, as the whole app fails to even achieve the thing it's designed for... control the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
It's quite interesting to hear about the disparity between Tesla and that of a late-entrant, low-end, ICE car maker. However, apart from the drivetrain/battery management software, I think the in-car experience that Tesla provides is quite sub-standard in many respects. Whilst the display is good, the content seems to be about 70-80% there in terms of functionality for me. Whilst Tesla might be the best at the moment for EVs, I don't think they should be held up as a paragon of virtue.

A mate has the Pug e-308 and asked me to help him with the update. The larger 17GB update has all the maps for the whole of Europe so you can speed it up by deselecting countries you are unlikley to visit. I did that for my mate and the update took around 40 mins.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
When my wife's ID.3 had its first software 'update' VW had to have the car at the dealership to do it and in the end had it 2 weeks. We had a loan car meanwhile.

The VW app is laughable. It does nothing other than confirm the range (or what the range was a while ago - often it doesn't update between journeys). It offers remote heating/AC but doesn't work when you try to use it.
My wife’s disappeared for a month when 2.1 was installed by the dealer. One of the flash RAM updates on an ECU failed so it was left bricked. They were in short supply so the car sat there for weeks undriveable

My wipers work... that isn't the point.

The M3 and Y were designed to be "connected" cars and by and large the remote updates are remarkable simply because they are so unremarkable.
The Premium stuff works, although the sat nav isn't stunning, no alternative routes and no "What 3 Words" options. Music is better than most.
I'd like a row of programmable function buttons along the bottom of the screen, or even better, a BMW type i-controller where the storage bin is.

What is remarkable is the battery/powertrain management software. I still think that Tesla is ahead of all others in this respect.

How long will the map update take? Who knows, since the progress bar isn’t a progress bar at all, it’s just an animation.

(It’s been like this for 30 minutes and counting. I’m only updating UK, which was 1.2GB out of 17GB)

Nice one Peugeot.

BDC2716F-1A04-475C-A31D-9C82839EC8C7.gif