Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A way to get the battery temperature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a tool or an app that allows you to view the battery temperature? It's more for curiosity than anything else.

Thanks

People here seem to be partial to scan my tesla for that kind of thing:

this isnt an endorsement or anything, just telling you what I read people use here that want to get at that type of information (and more).

Thanks! I'll give it a look. I already have an old OBD2 Bluetooth adapter, so if it's compatible, I'll only be missing the wire adapter.

This is my OBD2 Adapter, anybody know if such low end OBD2 adapter works? I had no problem reading from my ICE cars using Android Torque app.

PS. Can't give a link since it's no longer available, hence the screenshot.

1642102044875.png

Low-end ELM327 adapters typically work but they are an order of magnitude slower than a OBDLink LX (like I have) or OBDLink MX or equivalent which support the STN1110 protocol. Depending on how many fields you are trying to display on SMT, you might find they take a few seconds to refresh.
I personally started with my cheap 15$ adapter and ended up buying the OBDLink LX.

I read that the service menu shows you this information now
Not mine, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

I think the confusion is that it’s only visible in Service Mode, not in the regular Service menu.

To enter Service Mode, you go to the Software menu, press and hold the word "Model" for 3 seconds, then type in "service" as the access code and hit ok. Here’s one vid showing the process.

Once you’re in Service Mode, battery temps are viewable in 2 places:

35427174-3a5d-4678-9129-214abb9e518c-jpeg.903629

99bc8a58-daa1-4ad6-b233-fd2d9dd7ad54-jpeg.903991

Here’s the TMC thread where I got the above images.

The main weakness of this is that you have to be in Park to enter Service Mode, so you can’t see battery temps while driving this way.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: KenC
I think the confusion is that it’s only visible in Service Mode, not in the regular Service menu.

To enter Service Mode, you go to the Software menu, press and hold the word "Model" for 3 seconds, then type in "service" as the access code and hit ok. Here’s one vid showing the process.

Once you’re in Service Mode, battery temps are viewable in 2 places:

35427174-3a5d-4678-9129-214abb9e518c-jpeg.903629

99bc8a58-daa1-4ad6-b233-fd2d9dd7ad54-jpeg.903991

Here’s the TMC thread where I got the above images.

The main weakness of this is that you have to be in Park to enter Service Mode, so you can’t see battery temps while driving this way.
Ha, I didn't realize that was what that was, because the range was so wide. I just assumed it'd be one temp. I still can't find the octovalve screen in my service display.
IMG_2279.jpeg