TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

A way to get the Tesla Model Y into Production Quickly

Discussion in 'Future Vehicles' started by Graffi, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Graffi

Graffi Member

A few months ago I was reading something about India, and the growing market there, as well as the Pollution from Auto Transport.

I thought, Why not have Tesla build a factory in India, and the first car to produce there could be the Model Y. Smaller than a Model X, and more room for, well, Everything, than a Model 3.

Not only would it allow Tesla to get the Model Y into production, but it could then be a major EV in India and the rest of the world. Could you imagine a Gigafactory somewhere in this country, than has a larger English speaking population than any other country in the world.

Just a thought....

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

You must not have been listening to the issues with import-export tariffs lately.
    But don't assume that because India has a need for reducing production, that they will buy Teslas. Apple is coming out of the market because they can't complete. Folks from India have VERY little income and can not afford prices that we pay in the US. When anyone sales into India, they have to dramatically drop their prices.

Also, there are a LOT of other alternatives here in the states for production. Many manufacturers have moved production into the South where labor is cheaper, land easier to get, and some great tax benefits. Except for not having unionized labor, Freemont is probably one of the most expensive locations to build in. It does have great access to short trade routes to Asia though.

3. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

If it was made in India I would not buy a Tesla.

4. Graffi

Graffi Member

I was not thinking of Made in India to be shipped all over the world, just to India. Maybe SE Asia or even Africa. I think India could be a Big market for Tesla, and building it in India is a way to open up that market, as well as getting a smaller SUV on Tesla's international market.

Then if it gains acceptance as a viable EV, Factories could be built in places like Australia and the USA.

5. david_42

david_42 Member

The current plan is to build the Model Y initially in China, which is a much wealthier country.