Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A way to save almost $500 on a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if someone else has seen this...

Autopilot costs $3200 to order with the car, with 30% LCT and stamp duty that comes to around 4300-4400 (not sure of all the stamp duty rates in each state.

would you be better off ordering Autopilot off-build down the track for $3900. I assume no LCT and stamp duty would be payable?

But there may be convenience in ordering with the car, and at least you lock in a price and if financing can lump it all together.

Had Tesla wanted to be creative they could have sold the car and leased the battery, over say 4 payments, with no residual. THAT would have saved a huge amount in those gouging taxes! What $10-14 grand? More? They could have justified it on the grounds of different available battery sizes. Just ship the components separately and install the battery here. Would have given our local techs something to do!
In fact, that way, there would have been zero LCT payable!!
The taxes are around $26000 per car at present.

But GST is extra

I'm wondering if someone else has seen this...

Autopilot costs $3200 to order with the car, with 30% LCT and stamp duty that comes to around 4300-4400 (not sure of all the stamp duty rates in each state.

would you be better off ordering Autopilot off-build down the track for $3900. I assume no LCT and stamp duty would be payable?

But there may be convenience in ordering with the car, and at least you lock in a price and if financing can lump it all together.

Someone tipped me off that the aftermarket price does not include GST. I was sceptical, as I thought it was the law that GST had to be included in any price aimed at consumers (rather than business).

But I asked the question at Tesla in Sydney and was told that the $ 3,900 does not include GST, meaning the price with GST is $ 4,290. This reduces the saving considerably. I think it means you save only in high stamp duty states like WA (6.5%).

Someone tipped me off that the aftermarket price does not include GST. I was sceptical, as I thought it was the law that GST had to be included in any price aimed at consumers (rather than business).

But I asked the question at Tesla in Sydney and was told that the $ 3,900 does not include GST, meaning the price with GST is $ 4,290. This reduces the saving considerably. I think it means you save only in high stamp duty states like WA (6.5%).

Not really - you save the 33% LCT component that is added to each dollar above the LCT threshold - which is any extras that you add.

Not sure that can be right. The add-on price is right there on the same page contrasted with the option price, and the option price clearly includes GST since the total they give for a vehicle doesn't show a GST component being added on, and LCT etc apply to the post-GST price.

So if their intent is that the after purchase price not include GST then they're in breach the way it's currently presented.

Also the price differences are consistent with those quoted on the US page (adjusted for exchange rate) and so I can't see how the option price can be GST inclusive and the after purchase price not be.

Not sure that can be right. The add-on price is right there on the same page contrasted with the option price, and the option price clearly includes GST since the total they give for a vehicle doesn't show a GST component being added on, and LCT etc apply to the post-GST price.

So if their intent is that the after purchase price not include GST then they're in breach the way it's currently presented.

Also the price differences are consistent with those quoted on the US page (adjusted for exchange rate) and so I can't see how the option price can be GST inclusive and the after purchase price not be.

I agree - I'm not sure this is legal.

The information was given to me by Kate Lloyd-Jones from the Sydney showroom.

I'd be very happy for others to double check and post the answer here.

I chickened out with my order and have now included the Autopilot to be installed at Fremont.
With impending price rise (don't know if it will affect autopilot or not) and maybe another rise within 6 months (our $A potential) which is about when my car may get here. It was piece of mind for me to pay up front instead of 'aftermarket' and forgo the possible $488 saving.

I chickened out with my order and have now included the Autopilot to be installed at Fremont.
With impending price rise (don't know if it will affect autopilot or not) and maybe another rise within 6 months (our $A potential) which is about when my car may get here. It was piece of mind for me to pay up front instead of 'aftermarket' and forgo the possible $488 saving.

I agree with this approach. Ordering now will lock in the price whereas waiting for install after delivery leaves potential for the price to ramp up due to exchange rate fluctuations over the next 6+ months.