Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A week in with the new car...and some questions for the more experienced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got her and spent the last week putting almost 1000 miles on the odometer. While I've learned and a lot, there are some answers I still can't find or figure out...Curious if people on here might know more?
1657235295730.png

(trying to get a REALLY quick charge from a random lightning bolt after driving 330 miles)

2022 Model S Plaid with latest standard update (as of 7/7/2022):
  • Is there a quick way to enable Plaid/Sport modes? Like a voice command, or--better yet--a button you can add to your favorites that sets the drive mode to Plaid and steering and suspension to Sport? Much like the buttons that I think BMW M cars have? It'd be nice not to have to wade through menus to quickly switch to these when you encounter a fun road, etc.
  • Why can't I adjust follow distance with right wheel like I can on a Model Y? My friend who has a Model Y was upset that he couldn't use the right wheel to quickly change the number of car lengths that cruise control uses to follow. Is there a reason this doesn't work on the Model S? Or is my wheel just broken? I thought I might have seen a thread about this, but I can't find it now.
  • How to replay a song? Clicking right on the wheel goes to next one, but no way to restart? I noticed I can click on the right wheel button to pause and click right to play the next song, but is there a way to restart the song? Clicking left does nothing, and there's no replay/rewind button in the media UI.
  • Quick way of giving songs thumbs up/down? Similarly, is there a quick way to activate a thumbs up/down for a song? Having to find and click the icon on the touchscreen is a lot harder than one would imagine...is there a voice command I could use?
  • Where is the efficiency/charge graph app on Model S? My friend with the Model Y showed me a charge graph app that he uses to drive efficiently...but my Model S doesn't have the app. Are there ways to get more apps onto my car? Or is there a reason this app isn't available for the Model S (wasn't even sure how to search the forums for this answer)
  • Raising suspension for comfort? I noticed that the car will automatically raise the suspension over bumpy roads for comfort....BUT....isn't this an air suspension? Don't air suspension actually get stiffer as they raise (and likewise softer as they lower)? Or is this a special kind of setup (like the recent Ford GT)?
  • Any way to enable front camera view while parking? I could really use a view out of the front camera to see if I'm going to hit a parking block or sidewalk....Is there a way to enable the front camera while parking? I've only seen the camera view show the rear and blindspots on normal driving, and respective blindspot when a blinker is enabled.
  • Auto garage door opening/closing is great...except that I need to disable my alarm first. :) Any way to program/automate that? I tried using the two existing programmable options (Standard and D-Mode, I think), but the Tesla wasn't able to learn the remote signal for my alarm. Not a big deal, just curious.
  • Pedals & Steering settings menu - holdover name from old Pedal controls? Small question, but....I didn't really notice any settings for my pedals in this menu. Is the name an old holdover from other cars/version that had pedal controls?

Thanks for any info. Happy driving-

No quick on sport / plaid mode (I like it that way). Helps me not do something stupid.

Common complaint on no distance on wheel (I always have it on max, which is still to close)

Rock left wheel left to replay song

I have no problem with thumbs up on screen, don’t expect that on the wheel

Use voice to bring up energy chart “display energy graph”

No, max comfort is middle of range so it gets highest range to move. Low or High clamps how much it can bounce.

No, on front camera.

No, on programming alarm.

No, there is no Creep, Hold etc. adjustment anymore. Always Auto Hold. Also no regen adjustment. Always in high but it probably adjusts on conditions more than it used to.

Reactions: Murtaya
How to replay a song? Clicking right on the wheel goes to next one, but no way to restart? I noticed I can click on the right wheel button to pause and click right to play the next song, but is there a way to restart the song? Clicking left does nothing, and there's no replay/rewind button in the media UI.
If you're streaming from Slacker (the default/included streaming service), you can't go backward in the song. It's been like that from day 1. If you're playing media from your phone, you can push the left wheel to the left to restart or skip backwards. Not sure about Spotify, as I don't use that.

Reactions: Murtaya
If you're streaming from Slacker (the default/included streaming service), you can't go backward in the song. It's been like that from day 1. If you're playing media from your phone, you can push the left wheel to the left to restart or skip backwards. Not sure about Spotify, as I don't use that.
Oh--THAT answers it (and why trying mswlogo's advice still wasn't working) - I was using Slacker, not Spotify or anything. Thanks for clearing that up

Front camera is at eye level in the windshield, has basically the same view you have.
That makes sense--I didn't know if those were the only cameras on the front (especially since they've been moving away from lidar/rader/etc). Thanks-

you can go back and repeat if you are logged into your spotify acct
My bad for not being more clear--I was using the default streaming service, which apparently doesn't have as much functionality as Spotify.

Thanks again everybody for edumacating me-

Reactions: gaswalla