Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A word of warning for potential Tesla owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blame Tesla and not the guy who hit your car.

Yes the extremely slow turnaround time for Tesla body repairs is a serious risk about owning a tesla. But the reward for me is greater. No other EV brand that allows me to drive thousands of miles for literally $0 cost exists. And nothing on the market comes close to autopilot, and no im not buying a Caddy for its supercruise function that watches your eye movements.

The majority of car owners never get into accidents, so this risk is inconsequential in my decision to buy/own a tesla. i dont buy a car based on the possible outcomes of the worst scenario.

Now, Tesla didn't rear end you. I don't see why they have any obligation to reimburse you financially. Again, it's not as though I'm not sympathetic to your plight...this totally sucks, and I'm sorry really sorry that you've had to go through this.

Agreed. But tesla the car company needs to fix this serious parts problem. This guy is out nearly 7k in lease payments because he has been waiting 6 months for parts? Wtf

This statement is just blatantly false.

shoudn't have said never, bad wording. The average driver rarely gets into car accidents.

How Many Times Will You Crash Your Car?

Once every 17.9 years, or 19 years if you're a state farm driver apparently.

So for an event that will only happen to me every 18 years, that's not going to influence my car buying decisions.

FYI, this was the damage to the vehicle.
NDgJZfov5wShsw9i6

I completely agree that parts availability is a problem with Tesla right now. I've worked around this problem when my S was rear ended by convincing the insurance company that it made more sense to pay the body shop to reassemble the car after their damage assessment and let me drive it while the parts were on order, even considering the additional cost to disassemble it again after the parts arrived.

Once I was able to get a person at the insurance company with brains and authority enough to see that a few hours of body shop labor was cheaper than weeks and months of car rental, they agreed to my suggestion. Granted, my damage wasn't quite as bad as yours, but I still contend that this is a viable route for all situations where a wrecked Tesla can still be operated safely.

I agree with this 100%!

Thanks for the heads up!

IMO, before Tesla comes out with any new vehicles, I think they need to get any problems, such as this, fixed before they move on to anything new!

If they can't take care of the past/current customers in a timely manner, how are they going to take care of the future customers!

Imagine how these situations will be in 6 months, once a poop ton of Model 3's are on the roads.
Service centers are overwhelmed as it is and the process to become a Tesla body shop is expensive and time consuming.
Ive always felt a cheap Tesla will be what brings the house down.. the lack of service centers and terrible supply chain is a bad mix.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I have a dent in my rear quarter - Along with the damage repair and paint...

One shop says they will need to get a Taillight and misc parts from Tesla and it will add 2.5-ish weeks. And they need my car before they can order. Total 3-4 weeks.

Shop 2 says Tesla's take longer than other cars to repair, but they are really improving and the parts will only take them an extra 2-3 days. Can pre-order. Total repair time 7 days (and shooting for 5).

Both highly rated shops.

Out of curiosity - isn't Tesla (as a courtesy) supposed to give you a loaner?

I don't think they are supposed to give a loaner for body shop repairs. It isn't their fault.

Now, if there is ample evidence that the body shop actually ordered the parts and Tesla cannot deliver in a reasonable, then I would say there might be an argument for a loaner. But there is no requirement.

Quick personal check... driving for 40 years, been in 3 accidents while the driver....
hmm, so far that is once every 13.3 years. Yikes, more than average!

shoudn't have said never, bad wording. The average driver rarely gets into car accidents.

So for an event that will only happen to me every 18 years, that's not going to influence my car buying decisions.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
May I ask who your insurance company is?
Im surprised they wouldn't give you a rental car

Most insurance companies have limits on for how long they will cover a rental car. It is never open ended. The only way around that is if someone else who has insurance hits you as then you can recover all rental fee expenses.

The issue here is their delays in delivery of parts.

I have to ask that if they can setup their own body shops in the future and deliver parts to those body shops, why can't they deliver parts to the independent Tesla approved body shops now? The issue here is lack of parts.

Also I fear when Tesla sets up their body shops what would happen if an insurance company balks at paying Tesla rates or demand that you cover any difference?

Reactions: whitex

Umm, your data is from 2011.

Back in 2011 I would have supported your claim, but not these days.

These days with distracted driving you're lucky to go more than 5 years without someone bumping you from behind.

There is also a big difference between what people say is an accident versus what's reported.

I've been rear-ended twice at speeds low enough, and damage insignificant enough to bother filling an insurance claim.

In recent years there has been an introduction of FCW/AEB/etc which can prevent these kinds of rear-end collisions, but it's going to be dependent on where you drive if these technologies are on cars around you.

Last edited:
The parts issue is all down to Tesla not wanting to put any cash into stock. I cannot see how they can continue to ignore the huge lead times on parts going forward as they have to come from the suppliers. It really is going to start loosing them customers and sales in my opinion.

I would take the Shizbag that hit you to court and he wouldn't see a paycheck for a couple of years when I was done with him/her. first asset taken would have been the car they were driving, then a court ordered installment payment plan docked from their pay monthly until you got the diminished value, Tesla rental and repairs completed as well as any medical bills.

Did the police arrest the person?

Now you've got me adding up my accidents.

1988 Started Driving
1993 Backed into my own car. Doh! No insurance claim and very minor.
1996 Rear ended in Cincinnati snow and ice. Minor scuffs, didn't repair, but accepted the $600 insurance payment.
1998 Took out a block wall while playing in the rain in my Camaro SS. Oops! Roughly $3000 repair bill.
2000 Rear ended while waiting to turn left on a 2-lane city street. Uninsured driver without a license, driving her father's Jeep.
No damage to Durango, but my trailer hitch punched a nice hole through her radiator and ripped off her bumper. :D

No accidents or tickets in the past 18 years (knock on wood).

Driving 30 years, 4 accidents, only one requiring repairs.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
I would take the Shizbag that hit you to court and he wouldn't see a paycheck for a couple of years when I was done with him/her. first asset taken would have been the car they were driving, then a court ordered installment payment plan docked from their pay monthly until you got the diminished value, Tesla rental and repairs completed as well as any medical bills.
I've done this several times. One guy who caused a 6 car chain reaction (I was in front), declared bankruptcy after I won my claim.

Another guy lawyered up and actually got his ticket dismissed even though he lied to the cop about having insurance! Our state provides that those who cause an accident without insurance lose their license until costs are paid, but they let him off for some reason. WTF? And the trial judge would not allow my evidence and found no damages! This has happened to me more than once. Jury trials for me from now on.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Has Tesla ever made any comment on their inability to supply parts? I was considering adding a M3 to the family but I decided this situation is going to have to get better before I do. I stopped in the Tesla store in Dallas and asked the sales guy. He said it’s all better now that the M3 line is flowing. I say BS!

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and MarkKW