Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A year on, and the Tesla app still doesn't understand daylight savings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazing, really, but not all that surprising. Tesla's app is unable to display data until the day after daylight savings kicks in. Was the same way last year. On the other hand, the third party Powerwall Companion windows app can figure it out.

Screenshot_20181007-122650.jpg Screenshot_20181007-122640.jpg PWCYesterday.png PWCToday.png

I'm wondering if the some of the oddness I see on TBC is related to daily saving time as well. I have my peak period set to be 2 pm to 6 pm. I've noticed that my Powerwalls are charged in the morning but then around 1 pm, it starts sending everything to the grid and the house starts getting powered by the Powerwalls, even if the Powerwalls aren't fully charged. Shouldn't it continue charging the Powerwalls up until the start of my peak period?

Last edited:
Even on 1.23.0, I've seen the Powerwalls start discharging before peak. I don't know why it's doing this, but it seems to happen at times when it thinks it over-charged and wants to get the SoC down to the reserve level at the end of peak. I really think Tesla is over-thinking the algorithm a litle. A simpler algorithm taking into account what the requirements of the next day are would achieve better saving.

Even on 1.23.0, I've seen the Powerwalls start discharging before peak. I don't know why it's doing this, but it seems to happen at times when it thinks it over-charged and wants to get the SoC down to the reserve level at the end of peak. I really think Tesla is over-thinking the algorithm a litle. A simpler algorithm taking into account what the requirements of the next day are would achieve better saving.
It would be nice if it had an explanation of why it is doing something. If I use the self-powered mode, I can charge to 100% without any problem and discharge it down to the reserve limit. I would expect TBC to also charge to 100%. TBC seems to try to cover peak usage but it's hit or miss whether or not the Powerwalls will predictably charge or discharge in part-peak.

I'm wondering if the some of the oddness I see on TBC is related to daily saving time as well. I have my peak period set to be 2 pm to 6 pm. I've noticed that my Powerwalls are charged in the morning but then around 1 pm, it starts sending everything to the grid and the house starts getting powered by the Powerwalls, even if the Powerwalls aren't fully charged. Shouldn't it continue charging the Powerwalls up until the start of my peak period?
Yes, that shouldn't happen. I've seen it too since an upgrade to 1.25.0. What version are you on?
I guess the issue I was seeing wasn't due to Daylight Saving Time after all. I had noticed that on TBC:Balanced, my Powerwalls would start to export to the grid an hour early. Now I'm seeing them export at random times, such as four hours before peak starts. Yesterday, it charged the Powerwalls to 100%. Today, it seems to favor sending everything to the grid. :confused:

BTW, I've been on 1.26.0 for about a week but was seeing something similar on 1.25.0, just not 4 hours before peak.