Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A yoke or a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will lose 10s of 1000s of orders of Model S if it forces everyone to buy it with a yoke (along with the other "improvements" - the horn being a tiny button and the blinkers too). That's a simple fact. I'm sure it won't stop them from doing it. After all - how long did it take Apple to put a right button on their mouse - 10-15 years?? Once the "visionaries" are in control - things don't have to make sense.

I personally will never buy one, and I'm sure I'm not alone. The yoke just makes it 100% certain, on top of all else. I had such high hopes for the S redesign - and it turned out to be complete disappointment.
Exactly

Reactions: 2101Guy and Wol747
Obviously not haven driven it I have to go on what my experience with trying to use the wheel as if it's a yoke tells me.
Pretty obviously, too, is that in freeway driving where the wheel/yoke only turns by a few degrees it's no different anyway. I guess you can get used to having small switches instead of stalks in that case (why?).
But it's very America - centric: in most of the world one is required to indicate when making almost full lock turns on mini roundabouts etc. I hate to think about finding the left indicator button when the button's brushing your right thigh and presumably your right hand is at the 10 o'clock position!
As has been said many times - why change something for something which "can be got used to", even if it does look "cool"?

Ya sure. Total BS
Do you have the new S? If you don’t then I’d say it’s pretty presumptuous to tell me what “my” experience is or isn’t when I actually own it and have been driving it now for about 1500 miles. If you don’t want it or don’t like it that’s certainly your prerogative, but that’s irrelevant to what my real world experience with it is. I prefer it.

As Tesla does not advertise, is there a chance that the yoke only steering is designed to create publicity? Will Musk relent in a few weeks saying something like :
'OK we listened to the customers so here is a wheel option' ?

Do you have the new S? If you don’t then I’d say it’s pretty presumptuous to tell me what “my” experience is or isn’t when I actually own it and have been driving it now for about 1500 miles. If you don’t want it or don’t like it that’s certainly your prerogative, but that’s irrelevant to what my real world experience with it is. I prefer it.
KOOL Aid drinker. Signed up for another glass. Just in case.

• Disagree
Reactions: FunSecured
As Tesla does not advertise, is there a chance that the yoke only steering is designed to create publicity? Will Musk relent in a few weeks saying something like :
'OK we listened to the customers so here is a wheel option' ?
Well, Elon confirmed less than 2 weeks ago that the Model S would not get a normal steering wheel.

Their customers are all getting Model S's with the yoke, and they're selling all the S's they're building.

By the time S/X sales will drop, the yoke will be also in the CT and Roadster, and won't be an issue anymore.

I hear the Mercedes EQS comes with a normal steering wheel. Maybe check with your local MB dealership.

Well, Elon confirmed less than 2 weeks ago that the Model S would not get a normal steering wheel.

Their customers are all getting Model S's with the yoke, and they're selling all the S's they're building.

By the time S/X sales will drop, the yoke will be also in the CT and Roadster, and won't be an issue anymore.

I hear the Mercedes EQS comes with a normal steering wheel. Maybe check with your local MB dealership.
When sales dropped dramatically after all the fanboys but the stupid yoke, we will then see. Won’t we?

Reactions: vapor trail
When sales dropped dramatically after all the fanboys but the stupid yoke, we will then see. Won’t we?
I think Tesla will hear about it once the new S/X are available for test drives.

I had considered trading my S for a new 3 and enjoyed my test drive, but couldn't get around the narrower 3 seat being uncomfortable for me.

How many test drivers will have a similar opinion about:
(a) the yoke itself
(b) buttons for turn indicators
(c) non-intuitive horn location

I think a yoke with the stalks/rollers having the same function as the current Model 3 would be a decent compromise between the "classic" S controls and the "refreshed" S controls.

Reactions: Wol747
I don't have my refresh yet, but from all I've read/seen, etc, seems like its two fold. Yoke + stalkless controls /little horn button. If I've read 20 reviews on the combo, seems like 14 are negative ie "not sure of the problem this solved since they didnt bother to touch steering ratio, especially. And no benefit to removing the stalks" type comments.

That said, if we consider that 100% of all S buyers are aware that the car has the Yoke and are aware of the no stalk move, but yet those same buyers are placing orders and spending tens of thousands of dollars to still buy the cars (while enduring poor comms, poor customer service, months long waits) in what appears to be extreme high demand?

I dont know if I see (from a business aspect) Tesla making any change to their "yoke only" policy. Why would they at this point?

All of that said? I would pay them extra (if that was an option) to go traditional wheel/stalks/horn location. My opinion: should have reserved the yoke only for the Plaid powertrain vehicles.

Reactions: pilotSteve and QUBO

For the Roadster they pretty likely can get away with this, but for CyberTruck, you guys are dreaming if you think anybody who wants it for off roading is going to accept that. I've done a fair amount of 4 wheel drive off roading, and the yoke and the on-screen F/R is not going to cut it.

My take is the same as @philip295, that this is just Elon getting free attention, and once/if they get caught up, they will relent. It will make zero business sense to lose any customers over something like this on a car with extra high margins.

On CyberTruck they are already pushing the rock uphill with the crazy design. Now that the F-150 Lightning will be genuine competition, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. For off-roading and more normal truck buyers, the F-150 and/or Hummer is a much better choice. Hell, the F-150 will theoretically ship sooner than the CyberTruck and have the killer feature of being able to power your house during outages. Come on Tesla, enough with the gimmicks, get back to nailing the basics.

For the Roadster they pretty likely can get away with this, but for CyberTruck, you guys are dreaming if you think anybody who wants it for off roading is going to accept that. I've done a fair amount of 4 wheel drive off roading, and the yoke and the on-screen F/R is not going to cut it.

My take is the same as @philip295, that this is just Elon getting free attention, and once/if they get caught up, they will relent. It will make zero business sense to lose any customers over something like this on a car with extra high margins.

On CyberTruck they are already pushing the rock uphill with the crazy design. Now that the F-150 Lightning will be genuine competition, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. For off-roading and more normal truck buyers, the F-150 and/or Hummer is a much better choice. Hell, the F-150 will theoretically ship sooner than the CyberTruck and have the killer feature of being able to power your house during outages. Come on Tesla, enough with the gimmicks, get back to nailing the basics.
I’m sure FunSecured will disagree. I see he’s back in the Kool-Aid line again.

I too will cancel my CyberTruck order if there’s no physical control for forward / reverse. There’s no god-damned way I’m gonna climb into my truck with dirty hands in work gloves and attempt to maneuver through a job site on fresh dirt while selecting driving direction with long, awkward swipes on screen. I will switch to Ford over that asinine—but tragically nearly inevitable—dealbreaker.

I too will cancel my CyberTruck order if there’s no physical control for forward / reverse. There’s no god-damned way I’m gonna climb into my truck with dirty hands in work gloves and attempt to maneuver through a job site on fresh dirt while selecting driving direction with long, awkward swipes on screen. I will switch to Ford over that asinine—but tragically nearly inevitable—dealbreaker.
You do realise that the CyberTruck is aimed at the latte drinker Si Valley cadres, not anyone who doesn’t have a manicurist?