Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A yoke or a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
whats funny is in the entire multi year history of the model S? Of all of the dozens and dozens of reviews I read? NEver once (prior to the yoke) did I read (Even on TMC) that a issue was not being able to see the center guages. Not a one.

Now suddenly it retroactively, was a major problem as a means to justify the yoke/no stalks is "better". Not just yoke..but yoke with steering ratio exact same as full round wheel.

And no..no one is going to tell me that the inability to press the airbag to honk the horn, is somehow now an advantage. Is better.

No. I love Teslas product, but I also refuse to be 100% blinded to reality of the real world.

whats funny is in the entire multi year history of the model S? Of all of the dozens and dozens of reviews I read? NEver once (prior to the yoke) did I read (Even on TMC) that a issue was not being able to see the center guages. Not a one.

Now suddenly it retroactively, was a major problem as a means to justify the yoke/no stalks is "better". Not just yoke..but yoke with steering ratio exact same as full round wheel.

And no..no one is going to tell me that the inability to press the airbag to honk the horn, is somehow now an advantage. Is better.

No. I love Teslas product, but I also refuse to be 100% blinded to reality of the real world.
I agree 100%

Reactions: 2101Guy and Wol747
To those vehemently defending the yoke, what's wrong with choice? What would be wrong with Tesla offering standard steering as an option? While Tesla sales may still be strong with a yoke, there are many - including me - who simply would never buy a vehicle with one. Tesla is going to lose sales - and not just a few. They may still do fine, but they will lose those sales. And this from people who would otherwise be committed Tesla buyers (many of us already have one).
In all due respect, and I sincerely mean this, I love the yoke and read the "original multi-point post". I, for the life of me cannot see any negatives about this yoke. It is just awesome, doesn't constrain me "ONE BIT", and makes me happy to look at as well as an added bonus. Yes, Tesla reinvented the wheel literally, and although originally apprehensive, I was pleasantly surprised at it's functionality, 1.5 hours tops to get used to it etc. I still say to myself even if I wanted to find a reason to not buy a Tesla Model S Plaid, the Yoke clearly is not in my radar of reasoning. I would do it all over again in a nano-second, even now knowing how simple, practical, fun, awesome looking and "simple" it is. Bravo Tesla, Elon and the engineering team. I am not a "Tesla Head", and call it as I see it. My Plaid is "PERFECT AS MANUFACTURED, with the Yoke being no joke :)! Just an alternate opinion from a "yoke lover"!

Reactions: KyleDay
I agree 100%
However, despite your accuracy in this agreement to the prior post, I am 1,000% confident that the visual, right in front of my face dash, and dashboard is so much fun to see without any part of a steering wheel in the way. Not obstructing mind you, but looking through is to see something. It is just cool as all hell. I agree though "obstruction" shouldn't have been the reasoning to include the Yoke, but rather...."Further Simplicity", with equal practicality as the conventional wheel. Very pleased with it.

I don't find myself having to press any of the yoke buttons when turning the yoke. I didn't do it with my prior cars really; maybe there was a random unusual circumstance but not one I can offhand think of, and haven't needed to yet with yoke. The issue for me is not about the yoke but is about the inefficiency / extra steps needed as a consequence of not having stalks for wipers on / off / adjusting speed, and the turn signaling vs stalks. And the safety issue of no central horn button. I have other issues with missing features of the car (unrelated to the yoke or stalks) that should be in pretty much any car nowadays; for example, overhead view 360-degree backup imaging and blind-spot alert lights on side mirrors.
But don't you have to find the indicator buttons when the yoke is say over 90 degrees off centre? I wouldn't like to find the correct one when the RH handle is turned counterclockwise over my right thigh. Stalk indicator is always in the same position.

But don't you have to find the indicator buttons when the yoke is say over 90 degrees off centre? I wouldn't like to find the correct one when the RH handle is turned counterclockwise over my right thigh. Stalk indicator is always in the same position.

It’s rubbish. Even those of us who have adapted know it’s rubbish. Give me back a proper steering wheel and stalks. Doing maneuvers in the street now is embarrassingly slow with the touch-screen shenanigans for parking. Ugh.

It’s rubbish. Even those of us who have adapted know it’s rubbish. Give me back a proper steering wheel and stalks. Doing maneuvers in the street now is embarrassingly slow with the touch-screen shenanigans for parking. Ugh.

Actually, it's a combination of bad decisions. The haptic feedback is dreadfully tame, - you can tell there was no thought that went into it. When your stationary you can feel the haptic feedback. When you're driving, it's not possible to tell there's any haptic feedback at all because the car/road vibration dulls it.

Actually, it's a combination of bad decisions. The haptic feedback is dreadfully tame, - you can tell there was no thought that went into it. When your stationary you can feel the haptic feedback. When you're driving, it's not possible to tell there's any haptic feedback at all because the car/road vibration dulls it.
many people saw tesla engineers (or whatever they are called) driving the pre prod yoke S's around the country for weeks (months?) before the debut. SURELY at least one of them made notations on real world performance. SURELY at least one had to have thought "we need to keep the horn activation in the center/via the airbag". SURELY at least one said "these turn signal buttons are a step backwards". SURELY at least one felt the same way about the yoke as Randy Pobst did for Pikes Peak.

But after reading excerpts from the new book about Elon? Im guessing none of them felt like getting fired...

However, despite your accuracy in this agreement to the prior post, I am 1,000% confident that the visual, right in front of my face dash, and dashboard is so much fun to see without any part of a steering wheel in the way. Not obstructing mind you, but looking through is to see something. It is just cool as all hell. I agree though "obstruction" shouldn't have been the reasoning to include the Yoke, but rather...."Further Simplicity", with equal practicality as the conventional wheel. Very pleased with it.
I hope you have very good insurance.

Reactions: Wol747
It’s funny… Because the more I think about the yoke, the more idiotic it becomes. I said before, you can definitely adapt to some degree, but some maneuvers are absolutely impossible and take way too much attention away from looking through your windshield, - which you should be doing at all times.

I’m sure when the data comes back, Tesla will realize their error. The problem is the dash was designed around the yoke, so putting back a full steering wheel will compromise some of that. But 100% the yoke was a mistake. I mean heck, every single publication has said it’s crap.

how on earth did the yoke pass a UI committee?

or, did elon just put his foot down again and override better judgements?

I'm betting they all advised against it and he didn't care.

I fully agree it should have been TRIED in the lab; but I dont think it ever should have left the test lab.

always a good idea to try new things; but it takes a skilled manager to know when the new idea is not ready for prime time.

management fail, 100%.

how on earth did the yoke pass a UI committee?

or, did elon just put his foot down again and override better judgements?

I'm betting they all advised against it and he didn't care.

I fully agree it should have been TRIED in the lab; but I dont think it ever should have left the test lab.

always a good idea to try new things; but it takes a skilled manager to know when the new idea is not ready for prime time.

management fail, 100%.

100%. The funny thing is I've done usability testing for so many businesses now, and this would have raised a red flag pretty much immediately.

My first post here. I placed a reservation for an S plaid plus within days of the announcement and had been waiting not too patiently ever since with mounting excitement, even after the plus was canceled and my reservation converted. When I saw that only the yoke steering would be available I would confidently tell all who would listen that the only possible reason could be that the turn ratio would be non-linear and steering would be by-wire. This made me a little anxious but I was still excited and even thought it might be even more awesome like that. First reviews started coming in though and I was gutted, simply gutted. Spent the weeks since then watching and reading reviews, as reality has sunk in. Since then I've been "simulating" a yoke steering as I drive my model 3 and again and again find myself in my imagination grabbing air while maneuvering, vainly hitting the airbag to alert inattentive drivers to my presence, fumbling to indicate, etc etc etc. I've been driving round wheeled cars for 30+ years now and I finally realized the car is not for me, so I cancelled my order a couple of weeks ago. Feeling pretty sad if I'm honest and just a little angry at the hubris that must in part be behind this sorry state of affairs. I love Tesla - love my "3" love my powerwall batteries and I have done ok with the stock but this has really left a bad taste.

My first post here. I placed a reservation for an S plaid plus within days of the announcement and had been waiting not too patiently ever since with mounting excitement, even after the plus was canceled and my reservation converted. When I saw that only the yoke steering would be available I would confidently tell all who would listen that the only possible reason could be that the turn ratio would be non-linear and steering would be by-wire. This made me a little anxious but I was still excited and even thought it might be even more awesome like that. First reviews started coming in though and I was gutted, simply gutted. Spent the weeks since then watching and reading reviews, as reality has sunk in. Since then I've been "simulating" a yoke steering as I drive my model 3 and again and again find myself in my imagination grabbing air while maneuvering, vainly hitting the airbag to alert inattentive drivers to my presence, fumbling to indicate, etc etc etc. I've been driving round wheeled cars for 30+ years now and I finally realized the car is not for me, so I cancelled my order a couple of weeks ago. Feeling pretty sad if I'm honest and just a little angry at the hubris that must in part be behind this sorry state of affairs. I love Tesla - love my "3" love my powerwall batteries and I have done ok with the stock but this has really left a bad taste.

I don't blame you. You do get used to the yoke, - to some degree (though never fully), but it was a poor decision, and will never, ever come to the 3 or Y. Tesla can experiment with the S and X as they are low-volume, comparatively, but it would be sabotage to bring this to the mass market.

It’s funny… Because the more I think about the yoke, the more idiotic it becomes. I said before, you can definitely adapt to some degree, but some maneuvers are absolutely impossible and take way too much attention away from looking through your windshield, - which you should be doing at all times.

I’m sure when the data comes back, Tesla will realize their error. The problem is the dash was designed around the yoke, so putting back a full steering wheel will compromise some of that. But 100% the yoke was a mistake. I mean heck, every single publication has said it’s crap.
even the major youtber Marques Browlee guy (I think thats his name), who obviously is pro tesla and one of the social influencers thats a strong, biased ally with Tesla (which is fine...its how he makes a good chunk of his major income)...basically said in the nicest way possible...the combo of yoke/no stalks/buttons? Is a...fail. He couldnt come RIGHT out and say it, (or else, his roadster would be cancelled, inside access to info/events would be cancelled,etc) but you could easily read between the lines

Reactions: PV4EV and Wol747
even the major youtber Marques Browlee guy (I think thats his name), who obviously is pro tesla and one of the social influencers thats a strong, biased ally with Tesla (which is fine...its how he makes a good chunk of his major income)...basically said in the nicest way possible...the combo of yoke/no stalks/buttons? Is a...fail. He couldnt come RIGHT out and say it, (or else, his roadster would be cancelled, inside access to info/events would be cancelled,etc) but you could easily read between the lines

Marques is just another guy. I value his opinion as much as anyone who puts thought into it. I don't put these guys on a pedestal, that's for sure, but in this case he's not wrong.

will elon care about lost sales? on cars that cost $150K?

remember guys, that will buy you 2 or THREE houses in many parts of the US.

lets not forget this.

Yeah right... Typical that it's a new user and/or first time poster.

There are many people waiting for their S Plaid/LR and Tesla won't have a problem selling anything they produce.

Yeah right... Typical that it's a new user and/or first time poster.

There are many people waiting for their S Plaid/LR and Tesla won't have a problem selling anything they produce.

People will absolutely put up with it. But if given the choice, the majority would take a regular steering wheel/controls. This is borne out in polls and media reviews.

Exactly