Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A yoke or a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I absolutely agree, and all of this is great, except for the fact that Tesla never should have foisted a new primary control paradigm on the world without an ergonomic study!—A study that the stalkless yoke would have so obviously failed by every imaginable real-world measure: wandering turn signals and horn ‘button’, controls you can’t feel at all, controls that are too easily brushed and / or fail to register input reliably, single blink/blinkers that stay on forever until they’re cancelled…the list is long on these obvious failures.
Internal check and balances inside Tesla should have stopped the yoke+stalkless design before it was even shown to the public. After that, regulatory agencies should have had something to say about it. Yet here we are...

I imagine - yes, with time. The challenge that they'll have to get their hands on a refreshed model and rip the steering wheel out of it to replicate it. So at least a 115k capital needed. Then they'd have to recoup that money. The target market of people extremely upset with yokes is not known, so how many steering wheels do they need to sell? Let's assume 50% margin for a CN-based manufacturer. 1K is not unreasonable to charge. 115k X2 /1k = 230 steering wheels to be sold to traditionalists who'd be crafty enough to take the electronic guts out of their 100k+ cars' yokes and carefully transplant them to the proper round steering wheel.
How many of crafty traditionalists do we have?
There might be plenty of totalled cars going cheaply….<g>

So many strong opinions here with so little experience! Ive had my Plaid for about two weeks now and have more than gotten used to the yoke. Day 3 i was comfortable enough with it. Im either at 9 and 3 or a variety of single hand positions leisurely. In some ways you have to find what "works" but one thing I've definitely noticed is I feel more "ready" and eager to carve it up 😆. Past 3 years Ive had an e63 and M5 for my daily and can say overall the Plaid truly impressed with its handling and characteristics, which was one of my biggest concerns. Sure, its missing some premium options for the price but can pick apart both of Germany's best all the same.

So many strong opinions here with so little experience! Ive had my Plaid for about two weeks now and have more than gotten used to the yoke. Day 3 i was comfortable enough with it. Im either at 9 and 3 or a variety of single hand positions leisurely. In some ways you have to find what "works" but one thing I've definitely noticed is I feel more "ready" and eager to carve it up 😆. Past 3 years Ive had an e63 and M5 for my daily and can say overall the Plaid truly impressed with its handling and characteristics, which was one of my biggest concerns. Sure, its missing some premium options for the price but can pick apart both of Germany's best all the same.
How often do you hit the turn signal or high beams by accident when turning?

• Funny
Reactions: Blue Stuff
Maybe it’s due to my fondness for motorcycles and unconventional vehicles, but the yoke doesn‘t bother me in principle. What bothers me is its poor execution. It should be steer-by-wire with variable sensitivity, but it isn’t. It’s also supposed to be about offering an unobstructed view of the screens, yet because of its extreme width it blocks the driver’s view of the left side of the main screen. Contrast that to the last generation S/X steering wheel which I had no trouble positioning so that I could see 100% of the binnacle and the center screen. In every way, the execution of this yoke is a step down from the conventional steering wheel that preceded it.

Maybe it’s due to my fondness for motorcycles and unconventional vehicles, but the yoke doesn‘t bother me in principle. What bothers me is its poor execution. It should be steer-by-wire with variable sensitivity, but it isn’t. It’s also supposed to be about offering an unobstructed view of the screens, yet because of its extreme width it blocks the driver’s view of the left side of the main screen. Contrast that to the last generation S/X steering wheel which I had no trouble positioning so that I could see 100% of the binnacle and the center screen. In every way, the execution of this yoke is a step down from the conventional steering wheel that preceded it.
I still have this nagging feeling that the 2.3 turns-yoke is a fair-weather friend. Everything is nice and tolerable during regular driving but it will let you down in that one extreme situation. Probably none of the yoke fans have encountered that situation yet, and hopefully they never will. Recovering from a spin, reacting to hitting a pothole while on AP, I'm not sure exactly. But when it happens there will be a moment when you lose track of the rim and fail to regain control, or the yoke twists your hands off. There are less positions to hold it than a round wheel which is always just round, and the rim is always exactly where you can find it.

I have yet to see a video that shows whether this is a risk or not, all the yoke videos are very premeditated turning demonstrations with limited movement. That's nice, but fails to show how it performs in an crazy emergency maneuver, snow spin recovery, etc.

I still have this nagging feeling that the 2.3 turns-yoke is a fair-weather friend. Everything is nice and tolerable during regular driving but it will let you down in that one extreme situation. Probably none of the yoke fans have encountered that situation yet, and hopefully they never will. Recovering from a spin, reacting to hitting a pothole while on AP, I'm not sure exactly. But when it happens there will be a moment when you lose track of the rim and fail to regain control, or the yoke twists your hands off. There are less positions to hold it than a round wheel which is always just round, and the rim is always exactly where you can find it.

I have yet to see a video that shows whether this is a risk or not, all the yoke videos are very premeditated turning demonstrations with limited movement. That's nice, but fails to show how it performs in an crazy emergency maneuver, snow spin recovery, etc.
Only one legit concern so far.

• Disagree
Reactions: TessP100D
I had absolutely no problem with the yoke from the giddy up.

Of course I’d been obsessively watching videos and thinking about what driving with a yoke would feel like for what seemed to be a few decades while I waited for the car.

Frankly, I found the wrong placement of the turn signal stalk in the early Ses far more irritating and hard to get used to. Like, a year later and I’d still hit the wrong spot.

I’ve only had to honk the horn once and it was fine. In My last S I’d often accidentally hit the right button when hitting the horn. I don’t know why.

I had absolutely no problem with the yoke from the giddy up.

Of course I’d been obsessively watching videos and thinking about what driving with a yoke would feel like for what seemed to be a few decades while I waited for the car.

Frankly, I found the wrong placement of the turn signal stalk in the early Ses far more irritating and hard to get used to. Like, a year later and I’d still hit the wrong spot.

I’ve only had to honk the horn once and it was fine. In My last S I’d often accidentally hit the right button when hitting the horn. I don’t know why.
The fact that the yoke blocks a portion of the main screen doesn’t bother you? Honestly curious as I’m scheduled to take delivery of my Plaid on Sunday and this is a concern of mine.

The fact that the yoke blocks a portion of the main screen doesn’t bother you? Honestly curious as I’m scheduled to take delivery of my Plaid on Sunday and this is a concern of mine.
As with every other argument for the joke yoke you will find a way to work around its issues. If I lean into the passenger seat I can see the lower left screen. With some practice I can hit the car icon without looking. Also can swipe left instead. Otherwise use voice commands.

I haven't noticed even after reading about it on here. Maybe the new set up is just be better for those of us over a certain height? I dunno. Even so, I prefer the swipe from left side to get to settings move actually. It's just easier than hitting the exact space for the little car icon.

BTW, on the old vertical screen, I had to lean and look down a lot to do things. I don't here so it seems like a net win to me.

Reactions: Wolfsbane