Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A yoke or a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have my refresh yet, but from all I've read/seen, etc, seems like its two fold. Yoke + stalkless controls /little horn button. If I've read 20 reviews on the combo, seems like 14 are negative ie "not sure of the problem this solved since they didnt bother to touch steering ratio, especially. And no benefit to removing the stalks" type comments.

That said, if we consider that 100% of all S buyers are aware that the car has the Yoke and are aware of the no stalk move, but yet those same buyers are placing orders and spending tens of thousands of dollars to still buy the cars (while enduring poor comms, poor customer service, months long waits) in what appears to be extreme high demand?

I dont know if I see (from a business aspect) Tesla making any change to their "yoke only" policy. Why would they at this point?

All of that said? I would pay them extra (if that was an option) to go traditional wheel/stalks/horn location. My opinion: should have reserved the yoke only for the Plaid powertrain vehicles.
And this may be a great opportunity for the after market. People have been changing steering wheels for decades. Should not be that difficult to produce an aftermarket full steering wheel.

To those vehemently defending the yoke, what's wrong with choice? What would be wrong with Tesla offering standard steering as an option? While Tesla sales may still be strong with a yoke, there are many - including me - who simply would never buy a vehicle with one. Tesla is going to lose sales - and not just a few. They may still do fine, but they will lose those sales. And this from people who would otherwise be committed Tesla buyers (many of us already have one).

I would much rather buy the new S than what I think are the alternatives: a loaded EQS580 or e-tron GT RS. The S has better performance, is cheaper, has more cargo space, a better charging network, and looks better (or may be tied on looks with the GT). But the thing I can't get over after reading all the stalkless-yoke reviews I can find is my fear that if the right emergency situation came along I would crash it when I wouldn't have crashed in a car that had normal controls. And if my wife or daughter were in the car with me when that happened it would be unforgivable. So unless Elon changes his mind or Unplugged Performance comes up with a real wheel with a center horn and visually distinct mechanical buttons that can be located by feel, I just can't buy the new S, which is a sad conclusion for me.

Last edited:
Ultimately the yoke comes down to one simple thing. It is objectively inferior to a wheel for cars. It offers absolutely zero advantages (being "cool" is not an advantage). The closest you can come to an actual reason to have it is improved visibility but if visibility is a problem you just lower the wheel so that is simply a false statement.

As for the negatives, it is less safe. Period. You can argue how much less safe but it is, objectively, factually, less safe. Less area to grasp, in an emergency situation you have less ability to control the vehicle. Less positions for the hands so long time behind the wheel will be less comfortable. Turning will be harder, maybe only slightly maybe a lot harder, but harder none the less. That isn't even talking about the lack of a stalk and the loss of functionality.

Maybe the loss of sales will be small but for a company like Tesla who is a clear industry leader to make a decision this *stupid* is just inexcusable. If there is a reason for a change from standard then great, make it! There is literally no reason whatsoever for this change. I read that Elon wanted to create the Y without a steering device at all, that is on par with mandating a yoke without a choice in terms of stupiditiy.

And this may be a great opportunity for the after market. People have been changing steering wheels for decades. Should not be that difficult to produce an aftermarket full steering wheel.
I'd like to think so. But manufactures have traditionally made cars with sub-contracted out parts that operate on their own software. Teslas on the other hand are architected as one platform and designed to be updated as such (even when you visit a service center to get a part replaced, they often end up having to run another update just so the car recognizes the new part with that unique ID). So unless an aftermarket supplier can remedy how to trick the car with existing sensors that are ported over from the yoke or something like that, I don't see this as a trivial thing.

• Informative
Reactions: sillydriver
my opinion: Elon didnt offer the traditional wheel/stalks as an alternative (not offer yoke as a option) because their research probably showed that there would be very few takers of the yoke since the steering ratio wasn't changed and that most potential buyers saw that the yoke/no stalks was solving a problem that truly did not exist.

And there is already a poster on the forum who is testing the model 3 wheel with his Plaid. Seems to be having success in reprogramming the buttons as well.

Reactions: msm859
To those vehemently defending the yoke, what's wrong with choice? What would be wrong with Tesla offering standard steering as an option? While Tesla sales may still be strong with a yoke, there are many - including me - who simply would never buy a vehicle with one. Tesla is going to lose sales - and not just a few. They may still do fine, but they will lose those sales. And this from people who would otherwise be committed Tesla buyers (many of us already have one).
Just think of all those used Tesla Model Ss with standard round steering wheels that were traded in for new Ss with yokes. In your thinking they will all be snapped up because so many people are unable to adapt to something that is not perfectly round. Well, that's not me. I'm an early adopter, and I've enjoyed new technology since I was a kid. The yoke doesn't scare me, and in fact, I'm looking forward to it. I might even get the one you've replaced and put it on my current car. Woohoo!

I'd like to think so. But manufactures have traditionally made cars with sub-contracted out parts that operate on their own software. Teslas on the other hand are architected as one platform and designed to be updated as such (even when you visit a service center to get a part replaced, they often end up having to run another update just so the car recognizes the new part with that unique ID). So unless an aftermarket supplier can remedy how to trick the car with existing sensors that are ported over from the yoke or something like that, I don't see this as a trivial thing.
doing can/can or lin/lin translation is trivially easy, at wire speeds, for under $10, today. a bit more if you go with real automotive grade parts.

if they are charging a lot for a drop-in, they just need to know how to 'speak' tesla and that goes with the territory of being an aftermarket networked part.

oh, and I doubt tesla does all the ecu's themselves. if they did, they should not have; they are not THAT big that they should do 100% of the car. not yet.

Have had the yoke for 2 weeks. I was unintentionally hitting the turn signals the first couple of hours of driving; that was the only buttons I had issues with and only that briefly. Then, without me realizing it, I simply got used to it and now virtually no unintentional presses of any of the buttons and the yoke feels natural; ten minutes into my first ever driving it, I had a u-turn and was pleasantly surprised with the yoke in that instance. The visibility of the screen above the yoke is of course entirely uninterrupted. I found that with traditional round steering wheels, even if adjustable up / down and in / out, the view would still be somewhat interrupted and it would usually be blocking the data that you use all the time that manufacturers typically put on the top of bottom of the screen's edge, such as time or temp, unless you had the steering wheel in an otherwise very suboptimal position. I would definitely prefer the horn to be traditionally located / operated, and I would prefer traditional turn signal stalks and wiper stalks; much more precise and practical in the real world with stalks. The car is pretty darn good; definitely some software flaws and hoping the OTA update clean things up. Once competition heats up from other manufacturers, we will all win.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan D.
Have had the yoke for 2 weeks. I was unintentionally hitting the turn signals the first couple of hours of driving; that was the only buttons I had issues with and only that briefly. Then, without me realizing it, I simply got used to it and now virtually no unintentional presses of any of the buttons and the yoke feels natural; ten minutes into my first ever driving it, I had a u-turn and was pleasantly surprised with the yoke in that instance. The visibility of the screen above the yoke is of course entirely uninterrupted. I found that with traditional round steering wheels, even if adjustable up / down and in / out, the view would still be somewhat interrupted and it would usually be blocking the data that you use all the time that manufacturers typically put on the top of bottom of the screen's edge, such as time or temp, unless you had the steering wheel in an otherwise very suboptimal position. I would definitely prefer the horn to be traditionally located / operated, and I would prefer traditional turn signal stalks and wiper stalks; much more precise and practical in the real world with stalks. The car is pretty darn good; definitely some software flaws and hoping the OTA update clean things up. Once competition heats up from other manufacturers, we will all win.
In all my driving I can't think of specific occasions where anything on the instrument panel was missed, certainly nothing so critical as time or temperature ; ) I don't have a mass of information anyway, not song titles, scrolling menus, or animated FSD live driving displays. (That's getting pretty close to the distracted device law about "no watching of video" even if it's allowed as driver assistance tools. Some of the FSD drivers who are considered to be 'good drivers' are watching the FSD screens too much and not looking outside the car, in my opinion, but that's another topic).

What's your feeling about pressing the buttons while the yoke is turned around and fast moving? Are you able to press a button successfully without looking?

In all my driving I can't think of specific occasions where anything on the instrument panel was missed, certainly nothing so critical as time or temperature ; ) I don't have a mass of information anyway, not song titles, scrolling menus, or animated FSD live driving displays. (That's getting pretty close to the distracted device law about "no watching of video" even if it's allowed as driver assistance tools. Some of the FSD drivers who are considered to be 'good drivers' are watching the FSD screens too much and not looking outside the car, in my opinion, but that's another topic).

What's your feeling about pressing the buttons while the yoke is turned around and fast moving? Are you able to press a button successfully without looking?
Good questions! I actually look at the time and temp very often, and the MB S-Class blocks that info as well as what gear you're in (gear issue is moot with the Tesla). It also cuts off some other info, such as the speedometer from 65 mph up. I realize you can semi-customize the MB but certain info cuts off regardless. Big life problems, I realize. Back to the yoke... I don't find myself having to press buttons once I've begun turning the yoke; I would have already signaled my turn beforehand. I am concerned about the horn button in a true emergency; that horn should be traditional press on center of wheel (yoke) rather than how Tesla did it. Hope that all makes sense; ymmv.

Good questions! I actually look at the time and temp very often, and the MB S-Class blocks that info as well as what gear you're in (gear issue is moot with the Tesla). It also cuts off some other info, such as the speedometer from 65 mph up. I realize you can semi-customize the MB but certain info cuts off regardless. Big life problems, I realize. Back to the yoke... I don't find myself having to press buttons once I've begun turning the yoke; I would have already signaled my turn beforehand. I am concerned about the horn button in a true emergency; that horn should be traditional press on center of wheel (yoke) rather than how Tesla did it. Hope that all makes sense; ymmv.
Good, thanks for clarifying that time & temp are important indicators too.

Are you saying you can't press the buttons while turning or just that you don't really do that? For example if you're making a long sweeping curve at a cloverleaf and find that you need the wipers do you wait until the yoke is centered again or look for and press the wiper button? What if you need to change back lanes quickly having already signalled right and gone halfway. I mean like really quickly but someone is closing the gap you just made on the left. If you swing the yoke back to the left without signalling it's gonna annoy the other driver.

Perhaps you're a careful planning driver who can pretty much cope with not needing to adjust wipes, turn signals, high beams, and horn on an instant basis and can wait until the yoke is reasonably centered. Or as some others have mentioned they can find the buttons no problem while spinning the yoke. Personally I doubt I could, but as you say; ymmv.

I don't find myself having to press any of the yoke buttons when turning the yoke. I didn't do it with my prior cars really; maybe there was a random unusual circumstance but not one I can offhand think of, and haven't needed to yet with yoke. The issue for me is not about the yoke but is about the inefficiency / extra steps needed as a consequence of not having stalks for wipers on / off / adjusting speed, and the turn signaling vs stalks. And the safety issue of no central horn button. I have other issues with missing features of the car (unrelated to the yoke or stalks) that should be in pretty much any car nowadays; for example, overhead view 360-degree backup imaging and blind-spot alert lights on side mirrors.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan D.
I've been driving for about 20 years and I've never had an issue with the steering wheel blocking the instrument cluster. Does this happen often for others? I'm genuinely interested.
No, I've never cared about the wheel being there, or at least never so much that I considered hacksawing off the top of the steering wheel. I still don't think instrument cluster visibility was really the reason Tesla did this either, it's just a reason given so there appears to be some reason.

No, I've never cared about the wheel being there, or at least never so much that I considered hacksawing off the top of the steering wheel. I still don't think instrument cluster visibility was really the reason Tesla did this either, it's just a reason given so there appears to be some reason.
Agreed. I wonder if it's just a long-term marketing and R&D effort for whatever is the post-yoke "steering wheel" Tesla is privately now thinking about...

I've been driving for about 20 years and I've never had an issue with the steering wheel blocking the instrument cluster. Does this happen often for others? I'm genuinely interested.
No it doesn’t block the screen. 100% of the people that say it blocks the screen know full well the wheel is adjustable. Well except for my vintage cars. But they don’t block the gauges either.