Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A yoke or a joke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they will give a regular wheel as an option, later on. I'm pretty sure (just going on what a sensible manager would do, if there is enough push back and sales numbers support it).

they dont want to have the choice at first, for marketing reasons. so they have their time in the sun. but later, I predict a 2nd wheel option will exist.

Reactions: TessP100D
Good news. A more traditional wheel option is now available.
tes.png

It’s dangerous and should be. Recalled.
Obviously Tesla did not violate any explicit requirements, or else it would not be allowed to be sold. Therefore, to prove it's dangerous some people will have to die from accidents caused by it first (and it will take a while for a thorough investigation to complete). That is how most government regulatory bodies operate.

So, probably 2-6 years from now (maybe longer if they don't sell that many), and also possible that it will simply just have to be modified in some way, not necessarily all the way to traditional wheel. Perhaps just blinker stalks and/or horn button in the middle will satisfy the regulators? It will depend on what the official investigations will conclude the cause of the accidents was.

Who is going to be the first regulator to force Tesla to provide a real steering wheel?
Depends if any markets have regulations that restrict its use. If several people complain that it catches jewelry/clothing or if it falls afoul of obscure roles about size for example. Some of the fake copies of the yoke would fail the jewelry/clothing regulation for sure. Their nubs are rather more prominent.

It doesn’t even make sense if the argument is that the car’s now design around self drive.
The S is never going to be level 5, so making such a a design so as to be “ready” for FSD is ludicrous.
Its the equivalent of the incar camera being for the sole purpose of "monitoring passengers once Robotaxi becomes available in 2021 when a Model 3 will then be worth at least $100k"

These cars in their current form will NEVER be "fully autonomous robotaxis"

they will give a regular wheel as an option, later on. I'm pretty sure (just going on what a sensible manager would do, if there is enough push back and sales numbers support it).

they dont want to have the choice at first, for marketing reasons. so they have their time in the sun. but later, I predict a 2nd wheel option will exist.
You must have not read the excerpts from the book to see what happened when leaders dared push back on Elon in any way/form/fashion...

I like the yoke but I feel it was done wrong. The yoke blocks the bottom right of the screen. I think it is a little big. I think the steering ratio should be quicker.

But...I like it a lot on auto pilot on my 31 mile highway commute.
this made me chuckle a bit as it translates to "yoke is great...when you arent using it". 🤣 🤣

There are many people waiting for their S Plaid/LR and Tesla won't have a problem selling anything they produce.

So true. As long as they don't produce any (or produce tiny quantities) - they will have no problem selling them... ;)

Now if they try to sell some real numbers of a ~100K car without steering wheel - they will discover what "efficient market" means.