TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

A123 fail?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by chimpanzee, Jun 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Member

"Success is 90% failure"
    -- Soichiro Honda

Electric car battery company hits road bumps - CBS News

Is A123 Electric Battery A Waste of $263 Million in Government Funds? - Forbes

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Sound like a couple articles conflating hybrids, plug-in hybrids and battery electrics.

3. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Seriously, do a poll on the future? Why ask 100 people if they would buy an EV? It is commonly accepted that the ones wanting new stuff are a minority. The majority either doesn't want to risk money on a new horse, or doesn't have money at all, or cannot be bothered with anything new.
    picture_rogers_adoption_innovation_curve.gif
    As Henry Ford put it:

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Mod note: Thread title spelling fixed.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

This article was barely researched. A123 batteries aren't just used in the Karma. They're also used in VIA Trucks, for example, which I think could become quite a "big thing".

Also in my experience market research is completely useless for new product categories. The average person - even a sophisticated consumer - doesn't seem to have the imagination to see how they might use a product they've never seen before.

6. daniel

daniel Active Member

"electronic" vehicles??? :confused:

7. dmckinstry

dmckinstry Model S - U.S. P - #1649

As you know Daniel, hardly any motor vehicle these days doesn't have a great deal of electronics in it. We already have millions of electronic vehicles. Of course, that just emphasizes the ignorance of some reporters, assuming that statement came from a reporter.

8. daniel

daniel Active Member

Precisely my point. You can't really trust a reporter who gets such fundamental things wrong. Many years ago, a local newspaper had a brief item about something I had done. It mentioned my age in passing. Several years later, there was another brief item about me, and they gave me the same age. The reporter had looked up the previous item and neglected to account for the three years that had passed. The news media are notoriously and massively incompetent. The "news" is mostly fiction. Sometimes because a reporter or publisher wants to distort public impressions, but mostly because they are just incompetent. Science and technology reporting is probably the worst because of our abysmal science education. Most people's ideas about science and technology come from watching fantasy programs on TV. (There is no science fiction any more. It's all just fantasy now.)

9. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

11. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Electric-vehicle battery maker expects loan default | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Haven't seen too much discussion about this here.

Chinese giant Wanxiang wins bid for bankrupt A123 and its battery tech -
    GigaOm - Cleantech News and Analysis

Wanxiang Takes Control Of A123. Again. As It Wins Bankruptcy Auction - InsideEVs

Talk about a bad play on A123's part.

14. zack

zack Member

15. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

#15 SCW-Greg, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    Don't think for a moment China will sit back and let all the development happen over here in the states.

Love what Apple is doing with the new iMac - to be "assembled" here in the states beginning late 2013 - though still by Foxconn... Apple has the money to subsidize this. We (USA) simply can't compete on price, which is what it eventually always boils down too.

For right now, TM seems to be the only viable mass market EV producer. We need Elon to keep pushing, keep innovating, to keep it here... to sell 20,000, to make a statement that this a viable market with the right car characteristics.

16. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

This is not a good development, IMO:
    Johnson Controls would have been a much better fit for the automotive application, at least; it distresses me to see (as @SCW_Greg noted) US-developed technology bought for cheap on the auction block for commercialization abroad.

This episode points to an interesting difference in how R&D is done this days, compared to 50 or 100 years ago. Instead of industrial giants fostering R&D funded by profits, the entrepreneurs are off in little start-ups. Remember Bell Labs?

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Agreed. This is a disaster for US industry.

18. Thumper

Thumper Member

Outsubsidized by China! "Free" market is a political myth. We'll regret this if it is allowed to go through.

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#19 TEG, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    http://www.m-cam.com/sites/www.m-cam.com/files/P-PO-20121026-A123%20Systems-Special%20Bulletin.pdf

20. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

I am a lowly ground pounder ... no connections whatsoever. Anyone here on the forum have any friends in places that can stop this on the basis of potential military information leaking outside the "friendly axis"?

Seems like it is our only shot.

I mean, batteries are batteries ... but our country has created a vehicle that is moving our country forward. I would cry if I thought it would help. I agree ... let's not lose this.