Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A123 Nanophosphate vs Altairnano Nanosafe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That report places way too much emphasis on power output. Current mass-produced lithium ion batteries have sufficient power output, as evidenced by the Tesla Roadster.

The only thing that really differentiates A123/AltairNano from standard lithium ion for EV purposes is charge time. My bet is that home users will want range, enough to make it to the next hotel on their road trip, and will be perfectly happy with overnight charging. Commercial vehicles, taxis especially, will need quick charge so they can be on the road as much as possible.

On the other hand, racing EVs will need higher power output and more abuse-tolerant batteries, but this isn't a big market.

I think what will happen is all the different formats will ultimately play to their strengths, and all will find a place they do very well :)

-Ryan / Kardax

Kardax said:
The only thing that really differentiates A123/AltairNano from standard lithium ion for EV purposes is charge time.

Don't forget that the Tesla solution involves extreme safety measures because of the risks of battery fire with the laptop technology.
The A123 & Altair solutions make it a lot easier to include Li-Ion batteries without the need for so much temperature management and safety containment systems.

That's true.

Tesla knows it's not easy to make an ESS, and all the patents they have on it effectively means only Tesla (and those they deem worthy) get to use it. Small EV makers don't have many choices these days.

I'm a little surprised there aren't more A123-based EVs out there. That technology is already in mass production (for use by power drills and such), and has been proven effective by the "KillaCycle"... makes me wonder why its not more popular.

-Ryan / Kardax