Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AAA Electric Vehicle Charger Trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AAA Unveils Roadside EV Quick-Charging Truck in Seattle

Good news to those with AAA and have run low on charge. Instead of being towed, hopefully one of these charging trucks will be in your area soon to give you a quick couple of miles to get on your way:

AAA.jpg

The American Automobile Association (AAA) last week deployed its first Level 3 roadside charging truck in Seattle. As PluginCars.com reported in August 2011, AAA’s John Nielsen proposed this service in 2009, and initiated a one-year pilot beginning in 2011. Seattle is now one of six metropolitan areas to get one of AAA’s electric vehicle charging trucks, along with Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Knoxville, and Orlando.

Given relatively well-built public EV charging infrastructure in Seattle, it's likely that a stranded EV in the Seattle will require no more than about 15 miles of range to reach the nearest charging station. AAA said the typical emergency charge would last less than 10 minutes, and provide about 3 to 5 miles of range. This service is free to AAA members.

Nielsen only expects that AAA in Seattle will receive about 20 calls a year. The charge-enabled trucks will otherwise perform standard daily roadside assistance for gas-powered cars.
Janice Connolly, a Nissan LEAF driver from Mercer Island, was the first to use the truck. “It buys a lot of security, because they can get you off the highway and on the road,” she said.

AAA Unveils Roadside EV Quick-Charging Truck in Seattle | PluginCars.com

Has anyone seen one in Seattle yet?

Good news to those with AAA and have run low on charge. Instead of being towed, hopefully one of these charging trucks will be in your area soon to give you a quick couple of miles to get on your way:

View attachment 44580

AAA Unveils Roadside EV Quick-Charging Truck in Seattle | PluginCars.com

Has anyone seen one in Seattle yet?

Roadside charging has been in pilot for a while. Glad to hear its expanded to L3 charging. Unfortunately that means it would require a Chademo adapter for the MS to use it. Unless it offers both L2 and L3.

I saw one of these trucks at the National Plug-In Day event at De Anza College, Cupertino this past year. It had J1772 and CHAdeMO. I asked the AAA guy that was there what the power was on the J1772 but he didn't know. Does anybody recall hearing the spec for that?

With AAA you can also get hotel discounts that after a few visits easily pay for the membership. Still want coverage for my ICE too.

There are also some other odd discounts that popup now and then. I actually got a significant discount on some malaria pills for traveling with AAA.

This might get me to buy into AAA. Not because I expect I'll need it, but rather to show my support.

For Earth Day 2015 AAA Colorado unveiled an EV Charging Truck but it only has Level2 charging 240v 30a. So no Chademo or DC Charging. Guess they are now willing to spend more time on the side of the road but have a much simpler equipment.

ev_charging_truck.jpg

--