Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AAA vs. Infotainment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting study even if I have some difficulties understanding their conclusion (regarding the Tesla): https://publicaffairsresources.aaa.biz/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/CDST_Final_Report.pdf

When checking it, we could see that:
  • Model S has one of the lowest Cognitive demand (page 27) with only " cars below (Chev Equinox and Chrysler 300C and Nissan Armada). That is quite logical as the Tesla infotainment is really super easy to understand and use and does not require complex thinking. At the opposite of the spectrum, you find the Q7 and the Mazda 3 which are very complicated and confusing systems.

• Models S on the other side has highest Visual demand (page 28). Again, this is logical as everything has to be done through the console. But I am not sure it makes sense putting equal weight to the Cognitive demand as what makes people distracted is when they have to focus and think a lot about the task they want to do, even if looking at the road.

• Models S has average (on the red reference line) Interaction Time (page 30).
    Here, this is coming from the breakdown per Task Type (page 32) where the Model S has:
    - BY FAR the lowest Interaction Time for Navigation,
    - average (on the red reference line) Calling and Dialing
    - average (on the red reference line) Audio entertainment

So for me, it should fare well as cognitive demand is far more important in my opinion as the visual one.
But for me, the elephant in the room here is all the other interaction with the car.

Basically, interacting with radio or call is something quick that is not causing major problem.
Entering and manipulating the GPS is something that take usually much more time and here, the Tesla is far above all the others (according to the study).

But what is the most distracting are all the task that go beyond those basic interactions:
  • coupling your phone via BT
  • changing parameters of the car itsel
  • using safety / driving help features
When I am renting a car, I always go through those elements and this is the one that are creating the higher risk of accident.
And here, for me, the Tesla is the most intuitive / easy to use system I have ever used of any other car.
I still need to receive mine so only drove it twice and I was able to configure it (I had it for 2 days) instantly without any fuss or questions or wondering how a function work.
On the opposite, all the other cars I have driven (VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Ford...) required much more time and digging to use them.

So I think that the study 1/ is putting equal weighting on things that matter less or more and 2/ forget to cover the most important aspect which go beyond simple radio / GPS / calling interactions.

Reactions: AvengerBB