Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AAA: Worth it with Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posed this question on Tesla's forum a while back. It was about 50:50.
I've had AAA for many years. I never used their roadside assistance, but frequently order their tourbooks and maps (yes, paper!) They also offer discounts on hotels, restaurants, etc.
Here in CO, they recently added roadside assistance for bicycles and also now have a truck that can charge an EV.

If you've never had it, I wouldn't add it. I'm keeping my membership.

As CHGolferJim pointed out, the hotel discounts alone will pay the membership cost. Of course, if you have other discount cards, AAA's discounts aren't as useful.

The main reason I have the membership is so I can put my children on the plan, and know that they can call AAA if their ICE cars need towing.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you spend 6-8+ nights a year in U.S. hotels, the discounts will pay for membership. We use them too often for dead ICE battery charges and replacements.
In MA, the AAA car insurance discount offered by Commerce should pay the annual fees as well. I've had plus for years (my cars are getting old) - plus upgrades to 100 mile towing. I used it once years ago when my Spitfire's fuel pump died 40 miles from home.

To answer the first part of your question I can't see why you would use AAA instead of Tesla roadside assistance, but there could be reasons. I will say that using Tesla roadside assistance when I had a flat tire they delivered a spare Model S wheel to me and installed it instead of towing me to a tire place (I just had to return the spare to the service center when I got a new tire). I doubt AAA would be able to do that.

Tesla offers just one courtesy tow. When I had my incident this weekend I called Tesla Roadside first. But I live in a fairly rural area and they had no contracts established with anyone in my area for towing. Tesla actually asked me if I had AAA and suggested that since I did that I might want to use them since it was such a short tow (1.5 miles) rather than 'waste' my one free tow from them. Ultimately, this was probably much much quicker than it would have taken Tesla to find the proper service with a flat bed. As others mention, if you travel at all you'll easily pay for the cost of the AAA premium membership. They even suggested that if I happen to be getting low on a long trip, even if I'm not completely broken down, that it make sense to call them to get towed all the way home or at least to a rapid charger since that service, up to 200 miles, is free.

I almost didn't renew this year since for the two prior years I was a member I didn't use the service, but we do use the discounts and they do add up, and low and behold it came in quite handy this time.

I think a different, logical, course of action could be to just not get AAA until after you've had to use the Tesla courtesy tow, particularly if you live somewhere more metropolitan and they have contracts. If the discounts don't matter as much, then this is probably the more financially logical way to go.

One time I had my vehicle towed 90 miles and the tow truck company charged $450, but AAA covered it. My insurance company, Progressive, would only tow 10miles. After that, it's out of my pocket.

I can use AAA for personal and business vehicles. It covers the person with membership, not a particular vehicle.