Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abandoned gas stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super chargers take 20-60 minutes. I enjoy the super chargers that are at malls, next to restaurants, fast food, etc because they appear safer and allow me to step out of my car. An abandoned gas station just makes me think horror movie...

While I don't think that is a bad idea, it would make it rather costly for Tesla. Today, most SCs - if not all are in parking lots of existing businesses. I assume Tesla leases the space if not gets it for next to nothing to drive business to those locations. I'd think a gas station would have a lot higher if Tesla were to lease/buy it outright. However, it seems like Tesla should consider putting SCs at existing gas that are in business (maybe 1-2 stalls.) It would be a win win for the gas stations and Tesla.

I have a good question. Why can't tesla make a lot of abandoned gas stations supercharger stations? To me it would be better and cheaper.
I don't believe tesla owns any property for the supercharger, excepting the ones at their production facilities, they generally rent property where the superchargers are. could tesla buy abandoned stations? I guess that they could but I don't think it would make sense financially for them to change their current methods of siting the superchargers.

old gas stations are toxic wasteland with huge environmental problems beneath the surface. Run, don't walk.

+1. In my province it typically runs from eighty to several hundreds of thousands to decontaminate abandoned gas stations and the public is stuck with the bill.

Then people complain about the much smaller budget for installing quick-charge stations.