Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABC News with Bloomberg's Betty Liu's Nightline Tesla Special

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a bit disheartened by either the owner, or the editing of the owner talking about the superchargers being in the middle of nowhere.
It almost gave the impression that the superchargers were supposed to be the main, and most convenient way to charge.
Of course, the main, and most convenient way to charge for most people is at home. Can't get much more convenient than that.

Thank you for posting this! I live in Virginia and the Tesla owners in Virginia are joining forces with Tesla to get an exception to allow Tesla to sell directly to the public and be DMV licensed to sell in Virginia!

Jim, What is happening? I've been feeding information to my local state representative, Jim LeMunyon. Is there some hope for change on the horizon?

ABC News with Bloomberg's Lucy Liu's Nightline Tesla Special

I was a bit disheartened by either the owner, or the editing of the owner talking about the superchargers being in the middle of nowhere.
It almost gave the impression that the superchargers were supposed to be the main, and most convenient way to charge.
Of course, the main, and most convenient way to charge for most people is at home. Can't get much more convenient than that.

+1. Do people expect the same experience /station as ice that they go charging/refilling regularly? Is being FREE an incentive here? Is the 3/4 of energy saving not significant enough and people have to get 0 cost of recharging to justify the purchase?

If I were Tesla, I wouldn't be bogged down by these unreasonable desires. There are wider and more receptive potential buyers to serve.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did not like the Tesla owner (who apparently is charging at the Tesla factory) seeming to whine about having to charge "in the middle of nowhere". There was no mention in the piece of the most common scenario of charging at home.

Super Chargers are typically near eating and shopping areas, and they are meant to be used for road trips. I wonder whether there will be any problems with local Tesla owners going to the nearest Super Charger on a regular basis, just for a free charge? I know that possible issue has been discussed before, though. I think for most people, the loss of time, and going out of their way to charge at a local SC instead of charging at home would not be worth the savings on their electric bill.

+1 Totally agree with you.

I have to say that the Nightline Special was not well done. The questions were not on point and the conclusions were weak and ill informed. Yeah. Not good reporting. I'm glad Elon's PR team cancelled the trip into the Acura dealership. It would not have led to anything good.

Yeah, I did not like the Tesla owner (who apparently is charging at the Tesla factory) seeming to whine about having to charge "in the middle of nowhere". There was no mention in the piece of the most common scenario of charging at home.....

Maybe he said he lives in an apartment and they cut that part out.

Either that or he is "cheap" since he only want's a free charge or,

ignorant and thinks the the Supercharger is the only place he "can" charge.

I'm i bit irked that even a Tesla owner FAILED to cuommunicate that 99% of our charging is done in the convenience of our own garages! So many people that I talk to daily are still under the impression that I have to GO somewhere to charge my car... no wonder they have range and convenience anxiety! My answer to those questions is that I almost NEVER have to charge away from home. And most people's daily driving habits would benefit from the same.

I'm i bit irked that even a Tesla owner FAILED to cuommunicate that 99% of our charging is done in the convenience of our own garages! So many people that I talk to daily are still under the impression that I have to GO somewhere to charge my car... no wonder they have range and convenience anxiety! My answer to those questions is that I almost NEVER have to charge away from home. And most people's daily driving habits would benefit from the same.

People think they need to go somewhere to charge? Really? What are they thinking...hahaha. Do they have to go somewhere to charge their phone? Seriously.

That felt poorly done. If I'm Elon, I would have felt like I had wasted valuable time. It was likely the editing that made it a mess.

At least they didn't talk about how expensive it is (but they also didn't talk about future plans either. So people are going to think Tesla will only have one car for sale.)