TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

ABC News with Bloomberg's Betty Liu's Nightline Tesla Special

Discussion in 'Video' started by twinklejet, Aug 27, 2013.

1. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

#1 twinklejet, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    ABC Nightline's special coverage of Tesla Motors and the Tesla Model S (Aug 2013)

Sorry, can't find an official link from abc.com / abc's nightline youtube channel

2. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Thank you for posting this! I live in Virginia and the Tesla owners in Virginia are joining forces with Tesla to get an exception to allow Tesla to sell directly to the public and be DMV licensed to sell in Virginia!

3. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I was a bit disheartened by either the owner, or the editing of the owner talking about the superchargers being in the middle of nowhere.
    It almost gave the impression that the superchargers were supposed to be the main, and most convenient way to charge.
    Of course, the main, and most convenient way to charge for most people is at home. Can't get much more convenient than that.

4. haid

haid Member

Jim, What is happening? I've been feeding information to my local state representative, Jim LeMunyon. Is there some hope for change on the horizon?

5. GlennAlanBerry

6. kevin99

kevin99 Banned

#6 kevin99, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    ABC News with Bloomberg's Lucy Liu's Nightline Tesla Special

+1. Do people expect the same experience /station as ice that they go charging/refilling regularly? Is being FREE an incentive here? Is the 3/4 of energy saving not significant enough and people have to get 0 cost of recharging to justify the purchase?

If I were Tesla, I wouldn't be bogged down by these unreasonable desires. There are wider and more receptive potential buyers to serve.

7. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

8. GlennAlanBerry

Yeah, I did not like the Tesla owner (who apparently is charging at the Tesla factory) seeming to whine about having to charge "in the middle of nowhere". There was no mention in the piece of the most common scenario of charging at home.

Super Chargers are typically near eating and shopping areas, and they are meant to be used for road trips. I wonder whether there will be any problems with local Tesla owners going to the nearest Super Charger on a regular basis, just for a free charge? I know that possible issue has been discussed before, though. I think for most people, the loss of time, and going out of their way to charge at a local SC instead of charging at home would not be worth the savings on their electric bill.

9. almostFitToEat

+1 Totally agree with you.

10. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

I'm sorry I was sleepy! LOL can a mod edit the title

- - - Updated - - -

They could be siblings! =X

11. Ampster

Ampster Member

12. callmesam

callmesam Member

@tjimtjim

Let me know how I can help as my father just bought a MS in Virginia Beach. Will be delivered next Monday/Tuesday.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Corrected the thread title for "Betty" instead of "Lucy".

14. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I have to say that the Nightline Special was not well done. The questions were not on point and the conclusions were weak and ill informed. Yeah. Not good reporting. I'm glad Elon's PR team cancelled the trip into the Acura dealership. It would not have led to anything good.

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Maybe he said he lives in an apartment and they cut that part out.

Either that or he is "cheap" since he only want's a free charge or,

ignorant and thinks the the Supercharger is the only place he "can" charge.

16. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I'm i bit irked that even a Tesla owner FAILED to cuommunicate that 99% of our charging is done in the convenience of our own garages! So many people that I talk to daily are still under the impression that I have to GO somewhere to charge my car... no wonder they have range and convenience anxiety! My answer to those questions is that I almost NEVER have to charge away from home. And most people's daily driving habits would benefit from the same.

17. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

People think they need to go somewhere to charge? Really? What are they thinking...hahaha. Do they have to go somewhere to charge their phone? Seriously.

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

That felt poorly done. If I'm Elon, I would have felt like I had wasted valuable time. It was likely the editing that made it a mess.

At least they didn't talk about how expensive it is (but they also didn't talk about future plans either. So people are going to think Tesla will only have one car for sale.)

19. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Elon always sounds so tired these days in interviews. Not just tired like he needs sleep, but burned out. He's always soft spoken, but the passion behind it seems dimmed.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think the body is burnt out a little, but his mind seems sharp as ever.