TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

ABG tests the Roadster Sport for a week

Discussion in 'News' started by dpeilow, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

???Jammy???

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

3. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

4. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

"Passing isn't point-and-squirt, it's teleportation." - love that

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

That was a fun review. What luck to get that opportunity by chance seat assignment!

Now time for a little technical nitpick:
    OK, for starters I think he meant to say 220 VOLT versus 110 VOLT, not watt.
    (One might say 240 Volt versus 120 Volt too...)

Then there was that comment of "half of 220 means a 12 hour charge?"... I guess he didn't know the real story of volts, amps and watts there. To many on this forum it is all second nature now, but since we are talking about this story, the real considerations are like:
    [email protected] (9.6kW) from a 50AMP breaker: ~6 hours for full charge (9.6kW * 6 hours = ~57kWh)
    versus
    [email protected] (1.4kW) from a 15-20AMP breaker: ~40 hours for full charge (1.4kW * 40 hours = ~56kWh)

So, yeah, half the voltage, but less than a 3rd of the amps too, so about one 6th of the watts so charge time is more than 6 times longer.

Your electric clothes dryer draws a lot more power than your hair dryer.