Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to buy Tesla Warranty via website gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they say this was a new change? Everyone else reports their ESA contract says $200 deductible per event/repair (not per visit). If so, this is a big change.

Unfortunately, nobody can get to the ESA ordering page online to check.

This is from an email on Dec 6 when I was on the fence about buying the ESA. I thought $4k for a $200 deductible per item was insane.
So I emailed my local SC directly ... and they told me, quote:

From our website:
Extended service agreement, $4,000
Covers the Model S repair or replacement of parts due to defects in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla. Coverage lasts for an additional four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, and begins on the date your original warranty expires.

Currently, there is no deductible for repairs.

snip

Your car currently shows 4x,xxx miles, so please hurry. This purchase needs to be completed before 50,000 miles.
Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

So much ambiguity.
I also read and thought that you could buy the "extended service plan" within 30 days of going over 50,000.
TM emailed me and told me two things:
1) No deductible
2) Have to buy BEFORE reaching 50,000.
Sooo close to 50K! So I am limping along ... :)

I can tell you that I got a bill for $200 for a repair performed in January. I haven't paid it yet. Would like to know more about this "change".

Do you really log into it enough for the current layout to matter?

No, I just dislike Jony Ive :)

- - - Updated - - -

I can tell you that I got a bill for $200 for a repair performed in January. I haven't paid it yet. Would like to know more about this "change".

How do you get a bill from Tesla, don't you pay upon completion of service? I wonder if you could forward the information upthread to your SC regarding Tesla no longer charging the deductible. It would be fun to see what they say.

No, I just dislike Jony Ive :)

- - - Updated - - -

How do you get a bill from Tesla, don't you pay upon completion of service? I wonder if you could forward the information upthread to your SC regarding Tesla no longer charging the deductible. It would be fun to see what they say.

My car was delivered after the service was performed when I was not home.

My car was delivered after the service was performed when I was not home.

If you end up forwarding the upthread information to your SvC, please let us know what they say. I have also read reports here at TMC from other owners who were also not charged the $200 deductible, but some who obviously were. It seems like an inconsistent policy where certain SvCs are making exceptions.

I am 10,000 miles away from my ESA going into effect so I'd love to know the answer to this as well.

I just emailed my service center and got this response:

The Extended Service Agreement is still available. With the remodeling of the site, it could just be an error that it’s no longer present on the site. You can still purchase during your upcoming service visit.

As for the deductible, there is a $200 Deductible per visit when it comes time to use the service agreement.

Hmmm "per visit"... other people have said it was "per repaired part" so if you have multiple warranty claims during the same visit, it's $200 per part.

I just emailed my service center and got this response:

Hmmm "per visit"... other people have said it was "per repaired part" so if you have multiple warranty claims during the same visit, it's $200 per part.

I was recently in for a master charger replacement as well as a repair for my AM/FM/XM no longer working. They "only" charged $200, but I have been in before and not been changed at all. I have 70k miles.

It seems to be very inconsistent.

Off-topic rant: To be honest this last service visit was the most disappointing of the 15 visits I have had in the past 3 yrs. Besides a few other customer service issues, they offered to upgrade me to LTE since they had the MCU out and said it would be easy... all for the non-discounted price of $500 that they charge if I had just brought it in for the upgrade. So much for the hardware upgrades promised when I purchased the pre-paid plan 3 years ago.

This is probably just crazy unfounded optimism, but maybe they are revamping the ESA to make it more attractive because not enough people are buying it. They never dropped the ESA price when they extended the standard drive unit warranty to 8 years, even though the high cost of drive unit repairs or replacements (and the low reliability so far) was the biggest reason to buy the ESA. So it would be really nice if they dropped the ESA price or dropped the deductible or both.

If they are revamping the ESA to make more sense and more competitive with the extended warranties offered by other manufacturers, let's hope they also allow CPO customers to buy the ESA -- especially for those CPO cars that are barely a year or two old.

So much for the hardware upgrades promised when I purchased the pre-paid plan 3 years ago.

I have been fighting with Tesla over this for the last several months (and still am). So far, all I've gotten is corporate-speak for "yeah, 'hardware upgrades' is bullsh*t we really never intended on honoring as part of the pre-paid service plan, we'll always find ways to disqualify new parts HA HA HA HA, sucker!!" They have been unable to tell me even just ONE part on the cars that has ever qualified as "hardware upgrades" w/r/t the pre-paid plan.

I have been fighting with Tesla over this for the last several months (and still am). So far, all I've gotten is corporate-speak for "yeah, 'hardware upgrades' is bullsh*t we really never intended on honoring as part of the pre-paid service plan, we'll always find ways to disqualify new parts HA HA HA HA, sucker!!" They have been unable to tell me even just ONE part on the cars that has ever qualified as "hardware upgrades" w/r/t the pre-paid plan.

Pay for the upgrade and then take them to small claims court for charging you for a "hardware upgrade" that, according to the advertised inducement to get you to purchase the pre-paid service plan, you never received. Then let Tesla tell the judge exactly what they meant by that line and try to justify why they charged you. You see, in most disputes of this nature, any ambiguity is construed against the service provider and in favor of the consumer.

Do it for the rest of us! :) lol

I really would do that, and have thought about that, but I don't want to be "the guy who took Tesla to court"... I'd surely get blacklisted at all the service centers as "that guy".

I mean as in the other thread Elon Musk just cancelled Alsop's Model X over a little hissy fit (from both parties, mind you), I don't want to be blacklisted for being so litigious.

I really would do that, and have thought about that, but I don't want to be "the guy who took Tesla to court"... I'd surely get blacklisted at all the service centers as "that guy".

I mean as in the other thread Elon Musk just cancelled Alsop's Model X over a little hissy fit (from both parties, mind you), I don't want to be blacklisted for being so litigious.

This shows an area where the dealership model is superior. If Model S service centers were independently owned and operated, you most likely would not have this fear and might be more willing to exercise your options. I hate to hear about someone not standing up for what they believe in out of a fear of reprisal from Tesla. But it's a legitimate concern which, unfortunately, benefits Tesla at the end of the day.

I basically tweeted the same criticisms to Musk, good thing I'm a nobody. :)

Pay for the upgrade and then take them to small claims court for charging you for a "hardware upgrade" that, according to the advertised inducement to get you to purchase the pre-paid service plan, you never received. Then let Tesla tell the judge exactly what they meant by that line and try to justify why they charged you. You see, in most disputes of this nature, any ambiguity is construed against the service provider and in favor of the consumer.

Great and you will get Hank banned by Tesla :scared:

I really feel some of these service and warranty issues, some related to the insane $200 per part provision of the ESA and inability to even buy a n ESA for CPO cars, is because Jerome essentially left Tesla and no one else at Tesla has been put in place to take responsibility for these customer/ownership matters that matter greatly to both owners and prospective owners.

Tesla is a great company and when they are pushed to take action on an issue they usually do the right thing and I hope in the case of the ESA they implement a few simple changes to make the ESA work better for customers. Otherwise as these cars go out of warranty and customers without warranties find out it costs $1,300(?) to replace a single door handle out of warranty it will scare prospective buyers from buying a used Model S and it will adversely affect resale values.

[] Get rid of the absurd $200 per part deductible of the ESA. It is the ridiculous and the highest in the automotive industry. Some manufacturers charge a modest "per visit" deductible between $50-$100 but no one charges a per part deductible. Some forums members have said they have been charged this deductible and others have not but the fact of the matter is as the ESA is currently written, there is a $200 per part cost so it should not be up to how a service adviser feels that day or how a Service Center is run to find out if the cost of replacing 4 defective door handles under the Extended Warranty is $0 or $800 after paying $4,000 for the ESA.

[] The $4,000 ESA used to cover the drivetrain and since that is now "included" the cost of the ESA never went down. Removing the ESA per part deductible seems all the more fair.

[] It is really strange that Tesla refuses to sell an Extended Warranty for a 2015 or 2016 model year CPO car when they will happily sell an ESA to the original owner of a 2012 model year car with less than 50,000 miles. Why not just offer to sell the ESA to any owner, CPO or not, as long as the car is covered under the Factory Warranty. Why create a situation where a private party Model S purchase has a longer warranty coverage than a CPO car?

[] As Model S cars go out of warranty there will be increasing instances of sticker shock for the cost of repairs and these stories could greatly dissuade people from buying a Model S out of warranty which will cause the value of out of warranty cars to plummet. If Tesla makes available a reasonable ESA option, Tesla can pool and use those funds to cover repair costs while at the same time shielding customers from insanely high repair bills for out of warranty repairs. People buy used cars to save money and it those people who buy used car that control the depreciation of a car.

The ability to buy an extended warranty beyond the initial Factory Warranty will matter hugely to the resale value and used car market, and thereby the depreciation paid for by those who buy the car new or lease.

Last edited:
Great and you will get Hank banned by Tesla :scared:

I really feel some of these service and warranty issues, some related to the insane $200 per part provision of the ESA and inability to even buy a n ESA for CPO cars, is because Jerome essentially left Tesla and no one else at Tesla has been put in place to take responsibility for these customer/ownership matters that matter greatly to both owners and prospective owners.

Tesla is a great company and when they are pushed to take action on an issue they usually do the right thing and I hope in the case of the ESA they implement a few simple changes to make the ESA work better for customers. Otherwise as these cars go out of warranty and customers without warranties find out it costs $1,300(?) to replace a single door handle out of warranty it will care prospective buyers from buying a used Model S and it will adversely affect resale values.

[] Get rid of the absurd $200 per part deductible of the ESA. It is the ridiculous and the highest in the automotive industry. Some manufacturers charge a modest "per visit" deductible between $50-$100 but no one charged a per part deductible. Some forums members have said they have been charged this deductible and others have not but the fact of the matter is as the ESA is currently written, there will be a $200 per part cost so it should not be up to how a service adviser feels that day or how a Service Center is run to find out if the cost of replacing 4 defective door handles under Extended Warranty is $0 or $800 after paying $4,000 for the ESA.

[] The $4,000 ESA used to cover the drivetrain and since that is now "included" the cost of the ESA never went down. Removing the ESA per part deductible seems all the more fair

[] It is really strange that Tesla refuses to sell an Extended Warranty for a 2015 or 2016 model year CPO car when they will happily sell an ESA to the original owner of a 2012 model year car with less than 50,000 miles. Why not just offer to sell the ESA to any owner, CPO or not, as long as the car is covered under the Factory Warranty. Why create a situation where a private party Model S purchase has long warranty coverage than a CPO car?

[] As Model S cars go out of warranty there will be increasing instances of sticker shock for the cost of repairs and these stories could greatly dissuade people from buying a Model S out of warranty which will cause the value of out of warranty cars to plummet. If Tesla makes available a reasonable ESA option, Tesla can pool and use those funds to cover repair costs while at the same time shielding customers from insanely high repair bills for out of warranty repairs.
I would add
[] Eliminate the provision that requires all services to be performed as recommended within 1 month or 1,000 miles of the interval, whichever comes first. This is the most heinous provision, IMO.

Pay for the upgrade and then take them to small claims court for charging you for a "hardware upgrade" that, according to the advertised inducement to get you to purchase the pre-paid service plan, you never receive

Oh, by the way, according to the contract, court (small claims or otherwise) is not an option. I can only pursue 3rd party arbitration, and that's AFTER I submit the complaint to their dispute settlement program. Even still, retaliation is a major concern here.

H. Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Agreement

To the fullest extent allowed by the law of Your jurisdiction, Tesla requires that You first provide Tesla,
during the applicable period specified in this Agreement, with notification of any issue You have
experienced within a reasonable time to allow Tesla an opportunity to respond, before You submit to our
dispute settlement program.

Should You elect to submit to our dispute settlement program, please send Your written notification to:

Tesla Motors, Inc.
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, California 94304
Attention: Vehicle Service
Please include the following information:

• This Agreement and Effective Date;
• Your name and contact information;
• Vehicle Identification Number;
• Name and location of the Tesla Store and/or Tesla Service Center nearest You;
• Vehicle delivery date;
• Current mileage;
• Description of the defect; and
• History of the attempts You have made with a Tesla Authorized Service Center or authorized
Tesla representative to resolve the concern, or of any repairs or services that were not performed
by a Tesla Authorized Service Center or Tesla Ranger.

In the event any disputes, differences or controversies arise between You and Tesla related to this
Agreement, Tesla will explore all possibilities for an amicable settlement.

In case an amicable settlement is not reached, Tesla offers a dispute settlement program through:

NATIONAL CENTER FOR DISPUTE SETTLEMENT (“NCDS”)
P.O. Box 526
Mt. Clemens, MI 48046
1-866-629-3204

Tesla requires that You submit Your dispute to our dispute settlement program and wait for a decision to
be issued prior to pursuing any remedy under federal or state laws (including 15 U.S.C. Section 2310 or
California Civil Code Section 1793.22(b)), although You may be entitled to pursue a remedy without
submitting under certain state laws or if You pursue any rights or remedies not created by these laws.
This dispute settlement program administered by NCDS is free of charge to You and is conducted by
local NCDS professionals who are trained and experienced in mediation and arbitration.

NCDS resolves disputes involving this Agreement which arise during the applicable Plan period specified
in this Agreement. You must file a request for arbitration with NCDS within 60 days (or 6 months in certain
jurisdictions) of the expiration of the applicable Plan period, provided you sent written notice to Tesla, as
specified above, of the alleged defect during the applicable Plan period.

To initiate arbitration, You must contact NCDS at 1-866-629-3204 or P.O. Box 526, Mt. Clemens, MI
48046, and complete an NCDS customer claim form and mail it to NCDS. Please also provide a copy of
Your written notification sent to Tesla and/or all information required in such notification specified above,
Your desired resolution, and all receipts if requesting reimbursement. Upon receipt of Your request,
NCDS will contact You regarding the status of Your case and provide You with additional details about
the program.

When NCDS receives Your request, it will be forwarded to Tesla for response. After analyzing all
information pertaining to Your case, NCDS will schedule a technical evaluation if applicable. If You
request it, an oral hearing will be held prior to a decision being rendered. At this hearing, all evidence is
admissible. After considering all testimony and documents, the arbitrator will review the applicable legal
standards and render a decision. A settlement satisfactory to all parties may be negotiated at any time,
including prior to or after the arbitrator’s decision.

NCDS’s decision is binding on Tesla and You. Tesla will comply with the decision in a reasonable time
not to exceed 30 days after Tesla receives notice of the decision. Remedies include but are not limited to
repairs; reimbursement for repairs and incidental expenses, such as transporting costs; and repurchase
of this Agreement. NCDS decisions do not include attorney fees or punitive, multiple, or consequential
damages, except incidental damages as required by applicable law. NCDS findings and decisions are
admissible as evidence in any legal proceedings concerning Your Vehicle.

The description provided above is only a brief summary of the dispute settlement program administered
by NCDS. The dispute settlement program may be changed at any time without prior notice. Contact
NCDS at the above listed address or phone number for the most current information concerning the
dispute settlement program.

I would add
[] Eliminate the provision that requires all services to be performed as recommended within 1 month or 1,000 miles of the interval, whichever comes first. This is the most heinous provision, IMO.

Good one. Especially as the ESA warranty is written now, if you fail to service the car within 1 month of the "due date" it seems to suggest that this would invalidate the entire ESA that you paid $4,000 for! Sure they can decide to not enforce that provision but why have such a draconian policy on the ESA to begin with. This is all the more unreasonable when you consider that for odd numbered years you are paying $600 for essentially nothing now that we know that there are really no "hardware upgrades" performed as a part of the service visit. The minor service for both our Mercedes vehicles costs just about $200 and a vastly less complicated EV should cost less to maintain on years that require no coolant or battery fluid flush.

So much for servicing a Tesla being "optional" and not affecting the "warranty."