Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to buy Tesla Warranty via website gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it ironic that, maybe due to the topic of this thread, the banner advert is for Extended Warranty. From WARRANTY dir3ct.

Click the link ... to make them think they're getting good traffic.
Select year then make ... no Tesla??? WHAT????
Great profiling guys!

I just had four handles replaced on the esa. The charge was $200 total. One visit was the way the advisor described it. Btw the handles was the reason I paid for the esa in the first place.

It really needed all 4 handles replaced? They all failed?

So I was getting my hopes up that the deductible bs had been eliminated. It's the only thing keeping me from buying the ESA.

At some point each handle failed. I had the original handles. Sig #520. The drivers handle failed for a week then started to work again. This is why the replacement. But every handle had failed at some point. I was hoping to keep the handles for classic car value one day. I hope it survives 30 years to put it in my friend's classic car collection next to his Duesenbergs and classic Cadillac etc.

My point was only one payment of $200 as they were all replaced at the same time. The new ones are a different action. Actually much nicer than the classic handles other than poor puddle light illumination.

It really needed all 4 handles replaced? They all failed?

So I was getting my hopes up that the deductible bs had been eliminated. It's the only thing keeping me from buying the ESA.

If you have the old handles they seem to be pretty lax about getting them all replaced. It's no fun having mismatched handles and the new handles really work much better than the old.

It's back!

Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, now that the ESA contract is back, it clearly states the following:

A. Deductible
You are responsible for the Deductible of $200 per Visit.

• “Visit” means a visit to a Tesla Service Center for service under this Vehicle ESA or receipt of Tesla service under this Vehicle ESA.
• “You,” “Your” means the eligible purchaser of this Vehicle ESA, as applicable.
• “Deductible” means the portion that You must pay for each Visit. The Deductible under this Vehicle ESA is $200 per Visit.
So I think that settles that.

So.... can I group 10 different issues with one visit? Because they used to say that it's for the life of that item. Meaning if a door handle was replaced under the ESA, then it's covered through out the term of that ESA with no additional deductible.

It's back!

Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, now that the ESA contract is back, it clearly states the following:

So I think that settles that.

If possible could someone post the new ESA warranty contract.

Does the ESA still have a stipulation that it is void if any of the services are not performed every year or 12K miles with hardly much leeway?

Is the process of transferring the ESA to someone else more straightforward now or is it still a convoluted mess?

If possible could someone post the new ESA warranty contract.

Does the ESA still have a stipulation that it is void if any of the services are not performed every year or 12K miles with hardly much leeway?

Is the process of transferring the ESA to someone else more straightforward now or is it still a convoluted mess?

I cant figure out how to post it but my take to your questions is as follows:
-under the esa you have to perform the maintainence as per the recommendation 1 yr or 12500 miles
-the esa is absolutely NOT transferable, you can get a pro rated refund but you cannot transfer it

I drive 20000 miles per year so I still have to figure out if it's worth it. I'd have to spend $600 every 8 months plus the $4000 and $200 every visit. I just don't think it's worth it at this point but it only takes one 17 inch screen soooo...

I drive 20000 miles per year so I still have to figure out if it's worth it. I'd have to spend $600 every 8 months plus the $4000 and $200 every visit. I just don't think it's worth it at this point but it only takes one 17 inch screen soooo...

Or a $1,300 door handle, apparently. No way I'd consider owning one out of warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure if you sell the ESA car privately, the ESA stays with the car, but there is a convoluted process to transfer it to the new owner. It's in the contract.

Yeah they have come up with quite a convoluted process to "bless" the transfer of the warranty. It even includes the provision for an undefined "inspection" so they can deny the transfer on the grounds that the "inspection" failed. Wish they'd make the ESA provisions simple, fair, and straightforward.

If someone missed a service appointment by an extra month would they still sell you an ESA and then when you need to have a repair fixed under the ESA deny to honor the ESA?

Yeah they have come up with quite a convoluted process to "bless" the transfer of the warranty. It even includes the provision for an undefined "inspection" so they can deny the transfer on the grounds that the "inspection" failed. Wish they'd make the ESA provisions simple, fair, and straightforward.

Just read the entire ESA contract, and all it says about transferring is this (bolding mine):

This Vehicle ESA is not transferrable by You under any circumstances.

So the ESA transfer process apparently is "off contract".

Just read the entire ESA contract, and all it says about transferring is this (bolding mine):

So the ESA transfer process apparently is "off contract".

Yikes so they've somehow managed to make the ESA/Extended Warranty even worse?

Instead of the convoluted ESA transfer process now there is no way to transfer the ESA to someone else when selling a car with a ESA? This would greatly diminish the resale value of private party Tesla sales. If true, this is an even more atrocious warranty policy than the atrocious ESA policy that existed before!

I guess there goes our plan to buy a P85D private party with an ESA.

Yikes so they've somehow managed to make the ESA/Extended Warranty even worse?

Instead of the convoluted ESA transfer process now there is no way to transfer the ESA to someone else when selling a car with a ESA? This would greatly diminish the resale value of private party Tesla sales. If true, this is an even more atrocious warranty policy than the atrocious ESA policy that existed before!

I guess there goes our plan to buy a P85D private party with an ESA.

Hold on... since I didn't look at the "before", the transfer process might not have ever been in the ESA contract. The date on the ESA contract is November, 2015. Somewhere, someone did post the ESA transfer process document. I assumed that was in the contract itself, but apparently it's not, and might never have been. But that document and process do exist.

From the current agreement:

"This Vehicle ESA is not transferrable by You under any circumstances."

This looks new to me.

So it is official in that they've made the worst Extended Warranty (ESA) in the automotive industry even worse. Don't know of any other automotive extended warranty that is not transferable to a new owner when you sell the car.

This is indeed new as there used to be a transfer fee and a process for transferring an ESA to someone else.

For those who own their Model S and wanted to have the option of selling it private party with the ESA being transferred to the new owner this is really bad news and likely diminishes the residual value of your car. Some potential buyers may no longer even consider buying a Model S private party due to the lack of transferability of the ESA warranty. This is a horrible policy.

Tesla has published conflicting information regarding the transfer of the ESA to a new owner. Big surprise.

Here is the evidence in favor of transfer:
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_sp.pdf

J. Transfer of this Vehicle ESA
Contact Tesla and submit the following:
1. A letter requesting that Tesla transfer this Vehicle ESA to the new owner.
2. $100 transfer fee.
3. This Vehicle ESA.
4. Written evidence verifying all maintenance requirements have been met.
5. A copy of documentation evidencing change of ownership and mileage at date of sale.
6. Documents verifying transference of the Vehicle ESA, if applicable.
Conditions:
1. This Vehicle ESA cannot be transferred to another vehicle. It can only be transferred to a different
private owner of the same Vehicle.
2. The Vehicle is subject to inspection.
3. Transfer must take place within 30 days of change of ownership.
4. You may not transfer this Vehicle ESA to a vehicle dealer or to the customer of a vehicle dealer.
5. All remaining underlying warranties also must be transferred to the new owner.
However, that link was taken from a post in 2013. There may be a newer version of the contract.

Post number 4 in this thread indicates that it has been done.
Transferring car to new owner

But on the other hand, here is the current info from the service plan FAQ page:
Service plans | Tesla Motors
Can I transfer my Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?
No, you can request a cancellation and reimbursement of your Tesla Service Plan. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for your Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service for more information. You can view these Terms and Conditions after logging into your Tesla account. Click on “Services Sign Up” and following the appropriate link for your chosen plan.

So there may have been a policy change somewhere along the way, but we can't be sure without seeing the latest version of the contract.

- - - Updated - - -

This screen isn't available to me in Florida - long story. So can someone copy the link location for "Read Agreement" and post it?
Screen-Shot-2015-10-11-at-11.26.59-AM.jpg

Like I said above, the revision date on the current ESA contract is November, 2015.

So this isn't "new". It's probably that nobody noticed it just yet.

Link:
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_ot.pdf

I also highlighted the "BY YOU" part above... that doesn't mean Tesla can't transfer the ESA with the proper documentation and procedure outlined above.

There's a reason they added the "BY YOU" part, otherwise they could have just left it out and have the same effect that it's just "non-transferrable".