Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to edit old posts expires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was pretty much my meaning. That people actually AREN'T attacking the OP, mods are too sensitive. Honestly, want to spend hours getting irked at mods? Go read the posts that they surreptitiously moved to the snippiness thread. Go look at the last two pages and tell me that most of those posts needed to be removed from their original threads. A moderator posted that things are moved there that are deemed to be "otherwise degrading other topics" My point is that they are socially engineering the forum. They decide what's relavent, or important, or worthy. Not the userbase. I say this without anger, but with ample evidence. Go spend a half hour skimming that thread. You tell me how often it was warranted.

Go look at the comment section for Politico, CNN, Fox News or any other website where there is zero moderation. People don't let things go on the Internet. There are likely car forums that have zero moderation if that suits your style better but we like to keep things civil here. You don't seem to prefer any intervention to obtain that goal and that's fine.

The argument being, if the mods waited a bit longer (say an average of 20 posts more than they wait now) that the drama would naturally subside on its own.

I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with the theory just yet, but that was my interpretation.

Sometimes things do subside on their own, and we let them be. Unfortunately quite often they spiral out of control and if we leave it too long we end up with a horrible mess because there's all kinds of good content interleaved with personal attacks. People often post sensible comments but also quote a personal attack in their message, so the otherwise good comment gets the boot.

For politically-charged threads, I've sometimes taken the approach of allowing the discussion but immediately snipping anything approaching a personal attack. We've actually managed to have some good politically-oriented discussions that way... but it requires constant attention and I can't always do that. Something about a day job...

OK, summary time:
The moderators are unpaid and underthanked.
It's hard, it's a judgment call, every single time. Is this post over the line? Is that post over the line?
Add to that people reporting posts (sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for bad reasons) and the overarching desire to keep things civil here.

I volunteered to help doug with administration. I'd never dream of volunteering to moderate. That's a sh..... wait, don't want to get banned.... tough job and I don't think I'm even keeled enough for it.

As much as they have pi..... annoyed me in the past with forcing me to clean up my language (and all I wrote about was a cluster f....renzy). Once my anger retreats I recognize that this is hard. Much much harder than it looks from the outside.

So after the last few posts here I went over to snippiness and looked. Boy, I'm glad I don't have to make the call of which posts stay and which posts go.

So... deep breath... think about older wiser you... try not to kick the yoga teacher in his... unmentionables (as I always want to) and just let this go.

I much prefer this forum to the other forums I occasional visit.

(which reminds me - I have been censored for my foul language here, but never got sent to snippiness... I feel like I'm missing out...)

I'm usually just a lurker, but occasionally post if I think something is worthwhile. This is one of those times.

I only realized the edit function is gone when I tried to edit one of my newer posts. Interestingly, I lost the power to edit wiki's such as this one a long time ago.

Upon learning this new rule for editing, I most likely won't be posting much in the future (although I know it's not much of a contribution like more knowledgeable members of this forum). My point is that there are probably quite a bit of members just like me (self-moderating) who contribute only every now and then. May not be much, but collectively can be. There's probably lots of grammatical errors in this post, but I probably won't be able to correct it at a later date.

It's sad that this function to self-correct is gone.

***Update***

I realized I haven't said Thank You! lately for the great job the moderators have been doing - Thank You!

Last edited:
24 hours is more than enough time to notice and correct grammatical errors. Deciding never to post again because you can't edit what you say after a day seems a little odd, but whatever floats your boat.

Having witnessed 2 instances recently, one where a poster went back and replaced their posts with nonsense and another where a poster tried to wipe their history but couldn't because of this rule, I'm now firmly in the "this is the right thing" camp.

There is. It's the same
report-40b.png
icon as in normal threads. It might not show up on the wiki article but does on posts in the discussion.

Are you trying to change the title of the wiki article? It takes a mod to do that.