Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to upgrade battery capacity later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have an early 2013 S60. Option 2 would be great if upgrading from 60 kWh to 100 kWh was more favorable in terms of cost.

On the other hand, a new S would have some of the features not offered/purchased in the vehicle originally (AWD, collision avoidance, blind spot/lane departure warning, parking sensors). Did not order the tech package and miss not having GPS. IMO, it should not have been bundled into tech package.

If you have Sound Stuido (Now called Ultra HiFi) you can upgrade to GOS/Nav for $1000. I did it once in a 2013 S 85. If you don’t have Sound Stuido then you need to replace the center screen which cost $6,000 at the time.

The good news is that you can now upgrade your battery.

The other news is that the new battery comes gift-wrapped within a whole new car.

Heh - agreed - wish there *was* a practical upgrade path (other than unlocking).
Lol. My 70D lease is ending. Return the lease and spend another 95k for the most part the same car with larger battery and AP2. Or keep my lease for 50k and hope a reasonable battery upgrade become available.

Lol. My 70D lease is ending. Return the lease and spend another 95k for the most part the same car with larger battery and AP2. Or keep my lease for 50k and hope a reasonable battery upgrade become available.

Hmmmmm. Well, it’s unlikely there will be an upgrade path, although who really knows.

If I might present a 3rd path, that will buy 3 years of time until FSD and a handful of other things have time to marinate: CPO AP1 Model S85s are coming in off-lease and can be had for $45K mas o menos. The trick is they go fast so a good OA is a must.

For $50K out the door with a warranty, you’d have the stability of AP1, a bit more range, a flatter depreciation curve, and no rush or concern for the AP2/2.5/3 schedule and beta testing.

Then, when it becomes nicely compelling to upgrade in 2-3 years, you’ve got your choice of buying or leasing at that point, and there will still be $15K or so of value in the S85.

Anyway, just a thought.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
One thing to consider if you get those out of tesla battery upgrade is the supercharging. I am not sure if tesla will allow you to supercharge after your upgrade if you do it outside their control.

I think in the way future when tesla is actually profitable and making tons of money, then I think they will look at this upgrade demand. For now they need every dime they can get for the least amount of work/investment and the best way to do it is to get everyone to buy new cars.

One thing to consider if you get those out of tesla battery upgrade is the supercharging. I am not sure if tesla will allow you to supercharge after your upgrade if you do it outside their control.

I think in the way future when tesla is actually profitable and making tons of money, then I think they will look at this upgrade demand. For now they need every dime they can get for the least amount of work/investment and the best way to do it is to get everyone to buy new cars.
Supercharging linked to VIN. So unless you had an original 60 for which you did not buy supercharging for, then no.