Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to use Cybertruck to trickle charge Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With 500+ miles of range, could you feasibly trickle charge a friend's Model 3 if it's low on battery? The 120/240V charger would kind of be like carrying around a spare "can of gas", right?

Current Model 3 SR+ owner with FSD. I put a pre-order in for a Cybertruck - Tri-Motor w FSD right after the unveil.

Given that the truck has 220 plugs for construction, then I expect that the truck should be able to charge nearly as fast as the home charger, it will depend if it is 60 amp or not, but minimally I would expect 20 amps, which should get you 20 mi/hr. charging.

Why the fixation on this?

Using a large inverter I could charge my Model S off my 2005 Sierra today using the 5-15 adapter. What would be the point?

If you have both vehicles the 3 is getting low and the CT had plenty I would think drafting back to civilization would be a better use of time.

Hmm, I see this as a money making thing. Scenario, I have a Tesla EV, I run out of power 10 miles from a charger. I use the Tesla screen and request a 15 mile charge, that alert goes out to anyone that has a Tesla EV that can charge. All the Tesla's that can charge you are alerted, first the ones closes to you, that will be passing by you on their route. If any respond yes, It will alert you at how long of a wait you have and who will be stopping. Once you are charged up, the person who charges you gets a $20 credit on there account, and the one that got the charge gets a $25 charge. It would actually be safer, cheaper and faster than calling a toe truck.

Imagine how range anxiety would go away, once there are a million trucks on the road.

Don

Who runs out of charge? Electrical receptecacles are vastly more common than gas pumps and we don't see a lot of ICE sitting out of fuel.

If you use NAV the car will coach you to slow down to make a destination if need be.

I say this as a practical person, not some unhinged green freak which is common here.

I drive a P85 because it delivers the torque I always wanted from my modified V8s. I live in WI and have taken the car all the way up onto the little hook in the middle of Lake Superior. I was 210miles from a supercharger for a week with a car that has 242miles of range.

Would take exceptionally poor planning or natural disaster to run out of charge.

Who runs out of charge? Electrical receptecacles are vastly more common than gas pumps and we don't see a lot of ICE sitting out of fuel.

If you use NAV the car will coach you to slow down to make a destination if need be.

I say this as a practical person, not some unhinged green freak which is common here.

I drive a P85 because it delivers the torque I always wanted from my modified V8s. I live in WI and have taken the car all the way up onto the little hook in the middle of Lake Superior. I was 210miles from a supercharger for a week with a car that has 242miles of range.

Would take exceptionally poor planning or natural disaster to run out of charge.
Oh, so your saying range anxiety is not based on running out of charge?

Oh, so your saying range anxiety is not based on running out of charge?
Where did I say that?
What I am getting at is running out of charge is not much of a legitimate concern. Sure it is a worry of folks who have no EV experience ask about. Again though outlets are more common than gas pumps.

On the idea that Tesla to Tesla charging would be safer than a tow truck please explain. If a vehicle is stranded on the side of the road the safest thing is to get it moved by the emergence services vehicles with the warming lights and the professional accustomed to being in that situation. Not have another random stranger come spend an hour with you on the side of the road.

For a trickle charge a $110 1200watt continuous inverter connected to the battery of almost any modern ICE will do the trick. Might even be able to do so off the 12volt of current Teslas but not sure how much continuous load the DC-DC inverter in the car can handle.