Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Abnormal consumption Model S P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there!

This is my first post here as I’m a happy new owner of a second-hand Model S P85D from 2015.

I have been using my Tesla for a month now, and I’m wondering if the energy consumption is « normal ».

From the « Trip » screen in the car, I’m consuming on average 250Wh/km. That seems a bit high to me and I just wanted to know is it’s normal after only 48K km. As a result, I can only ride 100-150 km from 80% to 20%.

I’m not particularly driving like a maniac and I’m most of the time in the traffic jam in Melbourne.

If someone can help me understand that’d be great. Let me know if you need more info.

Here some info about the car:

Wheels: 21" with brand new tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S)
Year: 2015
Model: S P85D
Odometer: 47K km
Dashcam installed

Thanks, everyone

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 158
I also have a 2015 P85D. The wh/mile for 'rated range' is 310. This is with 19 inch wheels. You could expect slightly higher consumption with 21 inch wheels, maybe 10wh/mile. So to translate to km, that's 186wh/km for rated, and likely 190-195 for the 21 inch weels for rated range.

I've averaged over the lifetime of the car (combined city/highway, with a good chunk of highway) less than 320wh/mile, so within about 3% of rated, which I think is pretty good.

I never use range mode. It only served to wear my front tires down faster. Without range mode, they wear evenly across front and back. :)

Things that affect consumption significantly.

1: Weather, especially cold. The battery heater is a strong power draw.
2: Speed. Going above 110km/h will significantly increase consumption.
3: Lower regen settings (though I don't have numbers to back this up).

So 250wh/km seems high, but it's such a short sample of only 24km, that it could just be as simple as the battery being brought to a normal temperature. I often see higher consumption for the first part of a drive before it comes down once everything is at a nice temp.

If there are any environmental factors or settings you can think of, let us know, but I wouldn't be too worried.

Hi All,

Thanks for your prompt answers. I think something is definitely wrong here. I don't have the Range mode activated, but the regeneration is set to standard. Regarding the weather, I live in Melbourne and we are around 20 degrees on average (nothing cold).

@zswilliams, the 260 wh/k is on a 600km sample (3rd line) so I'm assuming that what to car actually consumes.

I almost never went on the highway as I'm living in the city, I'm mostly stuck in the traffic jam.

What do you recommend, should I take an appointment with Tesla?

How long have you owned it for?

Reason I ask is because your right foot may still be a bit pedal happy if you're still quite new to it. I know I was....

Even so - I don't think I drive particularly conservatively either. I just love that instantaneous torque! I average about 205wh/km inner melb on a model S 75D

What are your tyre pressures? The tyre placard is on the bottom of the B pillar when you open the drivers door.

@meloccom makes a good point, 21 inch tyres should be 42psi at room temperature, anything less and the extra rolling resistance will increase energy use.
21 inch tyre/wheel combination consume on average 10% more energy than 19s.
Make sure regen is on highest setting, don't back off accelerator pedal hard or energy just gets turned into heat.
When I spent a few days in Melbourne traffic I couldn't get anywhere near my lifetime range, I think it's just the nature of the Melbourne roads/traffic flow.
Don't be concerned with range around the city and suburbs, enjoy the car, enjoy the acceleration, electricity to move a car is far cheaper than petrol. It's on long trips between charging points that energy efficiency is needed.
Edit: I just noticed you have brand new tyres, this will also provide poor range for the first 200kms.

Last edited:
Hi there!

This is my first post here as I’m a happy new owner of a second-hand Model S P85D from 2015.

I have been using my Tesla for a month now, and I’m wondering if the energy consumption is « normal ».

From the « Trip » screen in the car, I’m consuming on average 250Wh/km. That seems a bit high to me and I just wanted to know is it’s normal after only 48K km. As a result, I can only ride 100-150 km from 80% to 20%.

I’m not particularly driving like a maniac and I’m most of the time in the traffic jam in Melbourne.

If someone can help me understand that’d be great. Let me know if you need more info.

Here some info about the car:

Wheels: 21" with brand new tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S)
Year: 2015
Model: S P85D
Odometer: 47K km
Dashcam installed

Thanks, everyone
I would have thought you should be around 200 wh/km. Tyres etc will make a difference but not to the degree you have.
Some key points;
If your journey is uphill, the consumption will be a lot higher, for example, I live on the coast and use way more energy going to the city (44m above sea level) than I do going home. If I head into the hills the consumption rockets up.
Each time you do a rapid takeoff you will use more power. Have a look at your graph. If you are seeing spikes each time you take off, then you just have to accept that the fun has a cost at your power meter.
If none of the above applies to you, jump on the app and book a service with tesla. Select the closest match to the problem. You probably need at least 500-1000km of driving to know what your true average range is, excluding your first fortnight to month of ownership. Demo rides destroy your average.

If you’re in a heavy and slow traffic most of the time your climate/distance energy expenditure ratio is likely to be a lot higher. Try to drive with climate off (perhaps, not in this weather) and see if it makes any difference.

I live in Melbourne, but 80% of my driving is in Rural Victoria, so my MS75D’s lifetime average after 70,000 ks is 183wh/km. It doesn’t vary much on highways, but in Melbourne it can be anywhere between 150 and 250 wh/km

My tyre pressure is above 42psi and I had them for more than 600km so that should affect I reckon.

Do you think the driving mode affect this as well? I usually drive with the Insane mode activated, should I consider the chill mode? Does it make a difference?

I think after 1 or 2K km, I'll book to Tesla to check if I'm still that high, I realised that I can't even do more than 150km with 90% charge, that's not cool :-(

Also, is there a way to check the battery health? How can I be sure that my battery is not damaged?

My tyre pressure is above 42psi and I had them for more than 600km so that should affect I reckon.

Do you think the driving mode affect this as well? I usually drive with the Insane mode activated, should I consider the chill mode? Does it make a difference?

I think after 1 or 2K km, I'll book to Tesla to check if I'm still that high, I realised that I can't even do more than 150km with 90% charge, that's not cool :-(

Also, is there a way to check the battery health? How can I be sure that my battery is not damaged?

Keeping the car in insane mode is fine if you're smooth with the right foot, what range do you get sitting on 100kmh on a smooth road on a moderate day? (20-30c) once the tyres warm up and the aircon settles down you should be getting around 180-200wh/km over the last 10kms with the 21 inch tyres, no hills, not windy.

I tried the car on the highway for about 10km, and I noticed that my average was 190wh/km. I have a friend who own the exact same car (same year, same wheels, etc.), he is also driving around the city with all the traffic jam and his average is 150... Something is definitely wrong here.

I asked Tesla to check the issue on the phone, they are investigating and they will gt back to me soon. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again for your help!

I tried the car on the highway for about 10km, and I noticed that my average was 190wh/km. I have a friend who own the exact same car (same year, same wheels, etc.), he is also driving around the city with all the traffic jam and his average is 150... Something is definitely wrong here.

I asked Tesla to check the issue on the phone, they are investigating and they will gt back to me soon. I'll keep you guys posted.

150 around town is nearly unheard of, 190’ish on the highway in your Model is about right....

Reactions: paulp

is a brake pad rubbing? Does the car pull left or right on a flat surface? Maybe pump the breaks and see if it frees?

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
ERRATUM: My mate made a mistake. When I asked him again based on your reactions here, he had a closer look and he is more close to 190 on average, not 150. Sorry about this I was just repeating what he said.

@baillies, not sure what you meant by "pump the brake"
@Rockford thanks for sharing!

I'll let you know when Tesla will get back to me

Reactions: Hairyman
ERRATUM: My mate made a mistake. When I asked him again based on your reactions here, he had a closer look and he is more close to 190 on average, not 150. Sorry about this I was just repeating what he said.

@baillies, not sure what you meant by "pump the brake"
@Rockford thanks for sharing!

I'll let you know when Tesla will get back to me

Press hard on then off the brakes a few times. You can also try driving slow in forward/reverse with the windows open and listen for the brakes rubbing (or get someone outside to listen). Of course a mechanic can check this easily as well. There are some maintenance videos mentioning them sticking and applying grease(?) to help reduce this. Due to the lack of use brakes are susceptible to rusting and jamming more than ice cars.

Press hard on then off the brakes a few times. You can also try driving slow in forward/reverse with the windows open and listen for the brakes rubbing (or get someone outside to listen). Of course a mechanic can check this easily as well. There are some maintenance videos mentioning them sticking and applying grease(?) to help reduce this. Due to the lack of use brakes are susceptible to rusting and jamming more than ice cars.
Yikes! NO GREASE ON ROTORS OR PADS. PLEASE!!!!! TOTALLY CONTRAINDICATED! Any lubrication on the brakes (and I doubt that any is required even if they stick) should be carried out by a VERY qualified mechanic!

Reactions: Hovean and paulp